Author Topic: The Give Two Shits Technique  (Read 2966 times)

Offline Naiya

• Evaluator
  • Doesn't Make Sense
The Give Two Shits Technique
« on: April 28, 2013, 11:40:57 PM »
Hukif came up with this, and asked me to post the idea here for MMers to try. :)

Basically, it begins with the question of why people get lucid from nightmares. The answer in part was not because nightmares scare you, but because you care about your survival, because you get invested in protecting yourself from the nightmare, your mind will assess the threat and let you know that the threat is not real, it is a dream.

To help this along into a better way of LDing, you can try this RC during the day -- any time there is something that scares you, or causes a response in you, positive or negative, even small things...pay attention to that feeling of "caring" about your environment and RC. Hopefully this will increase your awareness and help you get lucid not only more in your nightmares, but your regular dreams.

If anyone is willing to give this a try, please post here and let us know how it went for you. :)

Lucid Dream Journal

Basic: FL, GG, SO, CL, LM, LC
Intermediate: CO, MF, TP, EF, IA, DC, JA
Advanced: TE, AN, MU, HP
SP: Destinations China, Egypt, England, South America, Australia via TARDIS

Offline Vex

• Lord of the Rings
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • Ex Kitten
Re: The Give Two Shits Technique
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 11:46:01 PM »
Love the name of it. I am going to add the GTST asap to my RC moments arsenal. You guys are geniuses.
 :clap:
The impossible is possible tonight. ~Smashing Pumpkins 
https://twitter.com/MortalMist/status/473630187901317120

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 06:21:56 AM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline DrTechnical

• Lead Tangential Thinker
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 07:05:14 AM »
Hmmm. Interesting idea and worth a try.

With that said, MB hit on something relevant here. A nightmare issue is deeply rooted. For example, a nightmare about being back in school, blowing off a class all semester and being in a position where you are about to get that deserved F. I can't seem to shake that one. Even if i were to RC or do an emotional sanity check every time I felt inadequate/irresponsible in some sense (the obvious root of those types of dreams) I still don't think it would help.
"In a fearful stampede to save themselves from the terrifying menace of an original idea, the herd can become a mindless destroyer of the light." - Thomas Campbell

"I just had to get nice last night. My Mind is so free, you wouldn't believe ... you wouldn't believe" - Dave Wyndorf

"I don't understand. How can less be more? That's impossible. More is more." - Yngwie Malmsteen

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 01:16:13 PM »
I rarely have actual nightmares, but things often happen in my dreams that elicit fear or other "negative" emotions. So definitely worth a try. Also, it's probably beneficial to one's waking life to be as aware as possible of emotional reactions and what is causing them.

Last night I dreamed I was walking around a hippy-ish store that sold old clothes, records, herbal remedies, etc. Was looking for some Grateful Dead records. I noticed a hole in the floor/wall. I looked in and saw it was a series of glowing reddish caverns that went down thousands of feet. It was scary at first, since I'm afraid of heights. But then I decided to just jump in there. (I was semi-lucid at that point, due to some supps.) As soon as I jumped in, it turned into a small hole in the ground. Less than 4 feet deep. (Disappointing.) If I hadn't taken supps, though, I probably wouldn't have jumped in there. Maybe this technique would have helped in that case.
In the secret space of dreams
Where I dreaming lay amazed
When the secrets all are told
And the petals all unfold
When there was no dream of mine
You dreamed of me.
-- from Attics of My Life, by Robert Hunter

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 06:04:38 AM »