Author Topic: 09c - Dry spells...  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Budster

• Computer Science - Student at IUPUI
  • Synthesizer
  • Inactive beyond measure.
09c - Dry spells...
« on: May 25, 2008, 06:07:58 PM »
What causes these annoying roadblocks? All of a sudden, you don't get any lucids for a while, or can't remember any of your dreams for a week or two!
I suppose I'm not here anymore. Feel free to message me on Steam. (BUDSTER)

Offline chris31

• Analyzer
Re: 09c - Dry spells...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 03:21:43 AM »
Yeah same things happened to me.  Although its only been about 9 days since my last one, it feels like ages.  I had 4 in the first couple of weeks of May, now none since.

My recall has gone up though, cos im more determined.
DILD - 33
WILD - 3

Goals:
Fly into space
Fly through a fractal
Have a long, interesting conversation with a dream character
Consistent lucids (at least 5 a month)

Offline Seeker

• Aegis Emeritus
  • Evaluator
  • Into the Mist!
    • Mortal Mist
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 07:29:19 AM »
That is the million barrel question!!!  (Switched to barrel's cause oil is worth much more than any currency)

I wish I knew the answer!!!

This workshop served a number of purposes, one of which was to determine if a focused and concentrated effort would help with such dry spells.  I know personally, it has not helped me any. (bleh!)  I miss my frequent LDs as I am in dire need to escape reality for a while!

Later this week, I'll post a couple of wrap-up threads, one of which will ask members if this has helped their LD rate.

You have given me an idea for another workshop though.  In the dustbowl days, during dry spells, people used to call on rainmakers.  The rainmaker would perform rituals and viola, rain.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could discover such rituals and become rainmakers ourselves???
be the change you wish to see in the world
-gandhi

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 07:53:30 AM »
It would be nice indeed, Seeker.

One of the reasons I started the "Awake Journals" section is to help us look at those variables that might influence our recall and frequency of lucid dreaming.  I've struggled with weeks-long recall droughts, compounded by remembering enough fragments to know I have been losing lucid dreams.

This is one of those areas where I believe the group we have assembled here has a great opportunity to make our mark.  If we can discern and prove out variables influencing our dream recall and lucid frequency, we will have made a tremendous contribution to all future oneironauts.
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline dallyup52

• Exhaler of Dream Dust
  • Evaluator
  • Follow your Heart
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:24:50 AM »
Galantamind and choline have certainly taken the "dry" out of dry spells. It is like magic for me.  I don't use it that often but when I do it is amazing. ;-D
Dream Journal
Challenges completed:
Basic: HA FL GG SO CL LM LC
Intermed: CO CP MO TK CW MF WF WA WW BI TP EF IA DC JA
Advance: TT TE

Offline Robot_Butler

• Loving every minute of it...
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 04:23:15 PM »
The best way I have overcome dry spells is by mixing things up.  I think that sometimes, we get into a schedule where we are waking up at the wrong time in our sleep cycles.  Sometimes I will rearrange my sleep schedule a little so I am sure to wake up right after a REM period.  Other times, I will go to sleep extra late a day or two in a row, then return to a normal schedule.

Most popular advice says to keep a consistent sleep schedule.  I agree with this when it comes to combating insomnia.  I disagree with this when it comes to dreaming.  As long as you don't have problems falling asleep and falling back asleep, try shaking things up a little.
My Dream Journal:
Snacks From The Butler's Pantry
_________Challenges_________
Basic: HA, LM, FL, GG,
Intermediate: TP, DC, MO, CW, WW, JT
Advanced: OB, AN, GC, DR, SC, ST

Offline TygrHawk

• Comprehender
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 10:47:46 AM »
My opinion is that dry spells are just "one of those things" that is going to happen from time to time, and if you worry about it, that just makes it worse.  Don't let it shake your confidence, as that seems to be one of the most important factors in being able to induce.  Just keep thinking, "there's always tomorrow night."  I know, easier said than done, but still...
Wayne