Author Topic: Exploring lucid nightmares  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Hukif

• Evaluator
Re: Exploring lucid nightmares
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 09:44:56 PM »

Interesting how the room changes, but she's always in that room. Also, interesting that she started out as a baby and keeps getting older. Do you think she'll continue getting older or will stop aging at some point? What does she look like? What does she do? The labyrinth is interesting. Luis Borges mentioned in a lecture ("Nightmares") that his nightmares involve either labyrinths, mirrors, or both:

"Mine are always the same. I have two nightmares which often become confused with one another. I have the nightmare of the labyrinth, which comes, in part, from a steel engraving I saw in a French book when I was a child. In this engraving were the Seven Wonders of the World, among them the labyrinth of Crete. The labyrinth was a great amphitheater, a very high amphitheater (and this was apparent because it was higher than the cypresses and the men outside it). In this closed structure — ominously closed — there were cracks. I believed when I was a child (or I now believe I believed) that if one had a magnifying glass powerful enough, one could look through the cracks and see the Minotaur in the terrible center of the labyrinth.

My other nightmare is that of the mirror. The two are not distinct, as it only takes two facing mirrors to construct a labyrinth. I remember seeing, in the house of Dora de Alvear in the Belgrano district, a circular room whose walls and doors were mirrored, so that whoever entered the room found himself at the center of a truly infinite labyrinth.

I always dream of labyrinths or of mirrors. In the dream of the mirror another vision appears, another terror of my nights, and that is the idea of the mask. Masks have always scared me. No doubt I felt in my childhood that someone who was wearing a mask was hiding something horrible. These are my most terrible nightmares: I see myself reflected in a mirror, but the reflection is wearing a mask. I am afraid to pull the mask off, afraid to see my real face, which I imagine to be hideous. There may be leprosy or evil or something more terrible than anything I am capable of imagining."

Wow, these are cool nightmares.
Now for the questions: I think she will continue to get older, though dunno at which rate. While a child, she had short black and dirty hair, no clothes and a round face, dunno about the eyes, slim body, or more like... lack of food, last time I saw her, she was a little skinny, long hair (still dirty) and blue/white clothes, her eyes look like dark blue, but can't say. And what she does, well, when I was too scared to move, she just got near and I would most likely wake in SP and keep being scared for like 10 mins or so, after I got to move, she would fight me and it generally ends the same, anyway, finally found one of my dreams with her:

So, for some weird reason, after trying again my experiment (no WILD this time) I got in a weird city, I kind of recognized it, but I didn't pay any attention at it since I was trying to find the exit to that "Hindu" looking place, it was all dark, the air pressure was big, and it was a hot place, there were barely any street and every house was extremly small, plus all that orange/beige/white/pink colors were making me mad <.< so I decided to fly and find the exit, tough there was none, and I tought it could be a 1st floor (due to air bla bla and a "black" sky) so I just made some fireball tricks and I was out of there, this time in a forest.

So, I was trying to find any life other than the plants in there, but it wasn't even a full forest, it was closed in a metal cage and I was trying to find the exit (again) at least I found a button with the "open" word in it, it opened the cage of 3 T-Rex, 1 male 1 famale, and 1 boy, now I had to run and find the exit before getting eat (again) by a T-rex, so I had to break the cage again, this tiem with metal control yay!

Finally out, I completly understood were I was, it was the place to where "She" belongs, it had been a long time since we last meet, so I teleported far from those T-Rex and found some robot trying to kill me, it was easy to counter him and made some trash, then I got found and was being chased to become food, good thing I can fly at sound speed and hide in the back part of that place (ie in the garage/shops at the back part)

Once I was "hiding" in there while thinking on my next move, I found a little girl, she asked where we were, and I took some time to think (around 2 mins) this "Were? Ah... I remember, 3 and a half years ago I meet her for 2nd time, the one who is the fear I supressed while child, there are 4 sections, 2 ghost towns and 1 decay house, the other one is where she lives..." then got interrupted on my "daydreaming" by the girl and she said "well... so where are we?" So I replied "We? We are all part of my mind, tough within this horrible place exist what I used to fear, you see, those 2 places at the right are 2 ghost towns, they are big because there is sometimes people, the one at the back left corner is the decay house, there are lots of animals and the one at the top left corner is the house of SHE who is my representation of childhood fears" then I got interrupted by a grifoo and the girl hided in the trash while I was trying to kill it, I ended on the ghost houses and were trying to take down the grifo withouth killing it, it took me some time and get to the decay place, but I did it, some poison took it down, but then I found that the house had some horned dogs... they tried to bite me, but it was useless, I had my fixed body so I just let them fell... after that I returned with the girl, and she asked something again "What will you do with she?" so I got kind of excited about that encounter and went to talk to her for the 3rd time and transformed my arm into a sword of calcium, it was supposed to kill her with one blow since I was moving at mind speed, but no, I just got stopped by telepathic power (not possible unless my powers were canceled) and then noticed my sword was gone (confirmed cancelation -.-) she took me with her at the bed and turned to see the new customer, surprisingly enough it was me... she wanted of course to play with me some time by infusing fear... I wouldn't allow that so I tried to wake myself up, finished in a FA and woke me from that, I was on SP and huge HI, I could barely move my body, so I took my time to try and wake up my mom then I recognized the hi, it was "She" and was saying "Oh, mommy I have fear" so I was like "Of course I have... your my subconcient I can barely control that... dang I forgot how it feels to fear" and tried to stay awake, WILDing was the worst option atm, I was trying to figure how to win, so I stayed awake for some mins thinking about that.

After that, I got defeated and into the dream again, she just dropped me to the hindu site again, I had already a plan, but needed to go out, good thing I had memory of the rute to scape, so I just followed it and went out (in the way found many people half-dead) depressing site, I tried not to look at them and just take my way until the exit, once there I found my old T-Rex friends, running this time for my life and trying to find "Fear" she was staring in the sky happily at the scene... so I just used my anti God-mod power in her, that gave me half of my powers back, and I was prepared to fight her, but she still was stronger, I wanted to win some time so I made around 24 clones of mine to fight her, she just created to and started to attack, my clones were crappy because I had only half my power ;.; so then I woke up and was trying to find a way to break her mind, I didn't have time to think much, so my best idea was to remember how I got my fear broke when child, and it was easy, just one forced hug would break me down (don't tell anyone) then I got into SP (I just noticed it was SP because before I tought it was something else -.-) and the HI of she trying to make me return to dream, along with the feeling of entering in the dream, so I was like... "No, I must stay half awake to make this a success, stay calm and break this SP" and as so I did it and got to hug her forcefully, then started to use weird words like "My friendly fear" she got crazy and started to yell she was no friendly, neither cute (I didn't say that <.<) so I regained complete power at that momment, I was stronger than her again, yay! she just flew away crying saying "I will kill you, next time I won't play" and since I was no longer in danger I were just joking around with her "no jokes wrote since only me can get them <.<" Then continued in the forest of last night and woke up when it was time to.

Offline Josh

• Technical Guild
  • Synthesizer
  • Seriously Facetious
    • Lunar Light
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 03:03:49 AM »
Hmm, I've never tried what you suggest, John, and I'm not entirely sure it would work with me. I am not easily frightened, and my nightmares stopped over two years ago, the same night I discovered lucid dreaming. It is exceptionally difficult for anything in a dream to induce fear in me now, even in a non-lucid dream, since I know it's all in my head, so to speak. In fact, when I have a dream tat might otherwise have been a nightmare, it often just intrigues me, and I wind up trying to re-enter the dream if I wake up, just to see where it goes.

Strong emotions are the only thing that I fear in my dreams, really. I do still have dreams I might call nightmares, though they aren't really; just those dreams where you try and try to achieve a certain goal, without seeming to gain any ground, or where there seems to be no end to a cetain task, that sort of thing. More dull, doldrum experiences. However, I may try to manifest a nightmare in a lucid sometime, just to see if my subconscious can come up with something that can scare me. Might be an interesting experiment. ;)
"I've got to start listening to those quiet, nagging doubts." ~ Calvin

Hypoallergenic Hallucinogens -- Dreams Most Odd
Technical Guild | Creator's Guild

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 06:20:25 PM »
Before I knew to control dreams I would try to stay asleep through my lucid nightmares.  These were exceptionally vivid dreams in which I had full cognitive ability.  They also ended up being very long.  I'd only wake myself after something interesting enough happened that I wanted to remember it.  Or sometimes after I'd had enough of being afraid or met up with something that I didn't want to face.

But those were true nightmares.  Far more frightening than a scary movie.  So I'm not sure that I'd be interested in inducing them.  Kinda scary dreams on the other hand I do enjoy.  Don't have many of those while lucid though.

I guess that may be a major difference between scary movies and nightmares. Nightmares probably can be a lot scarier, even if you know they're just a dream. They certainly can be a lot scarier when you don't know you're dreaming.
In the secret space of dreams
Where I dreaming lay amazed
When the secrets all are told
And the petals all unfold
When there was no dream of mine
You dreamed of me.
-- from Attics of My Life, by Robert Hunter

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 06:34:31 PM »
Wow, these are cool nightmares.

Borges is always amazing. He mostly wrote short stories. Being from Mexico, you must speak Spanish, which means you can read his stories in the original language. I've only read the English translations.

Now for the questions: I think she will continue to get older, though dunno at which rate.

Will be interesting to see.

While a child, she had short black and dirty hair, no clothes and a round face, dunno about the eyes, slim body, or more like... lack of food, last time I saw her, she was a little skinny, long hair (still dirty) and blue/white clothes, her eyes look like dark blue, but can't say. And what she does, well, when I was too scared to move, she just got near and I would most likely wake in SP and keep being scared for like 10 mins or so, after I got to move, she would fight me and it generally ends the same, anyway, finally found one of my dreams with her:

So, for some weird reason, after trying again my experiment (no WILD this time) I got in a weird city, I kind of recognized it, but I didn't pay any attention at it since I was trying to find the exit to that "Hindu" looking place, it was all dark, the air pressure was big, and it was a hot place, there were barely any street and every house was extremly small, plus all that orange/beige/white/pink colors were making me mad <.< so I decided to fly and find the exit, tough there was none, and I tought it could be a 1st floor (due to air bla bla and a "black" sky) so I just made some fireball tricks and I was out of there, this time in a forest.

So, I was trying to find any life other than the plants in there, but it wasn't even a full forest, it was closed in a metal cage and I was trying to find the exit (again) at least I found a button with the "open" word in it, it opened the cage of 3 T-Rex, 1 male 1 famale, and 1 boy, now I had to run and find the exit before getting eat (again) by a T-rex, so I had to break the cage again, this tiem with metal control yay!

You have some amazing dreams! I wish mine were that elaborate. Maybe they are, but I don't remember enough of the details.
You dreamed of me.

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 06:42:54 PM »
Hmm, I've never tried what you suggest, John, and I'm not entirely sure it would work with me. I am not easily frightened, and my nightmares stopped over two years ago, the same night I discovered lucid dreaming. It is exceptionally difficult for anything in a dream to induce fear in me now, even in a non-lucid dream, since I know it's all in my head, so to speak. In fact, when I have a dream tat might otherwise have been a nightmare, it often just intrigues me, and I wind up trying to re-enter the dream if I wake up, just to see where it goes.

Strong emotions are the only thing that I fear in my dreams, really. I do still have dreams I might call nightmares, though they aren't really; just those dreams where you try and try to achieve a certain goal, without seeming to gain any ground, or where there seems to be no end to a cetain task, that sort of thing. More dull, doldrum experiences. However, I may try to manifest a nightmare in a lucid sometime, just to see if my subconscious can come up with something that can scare me. Might be an interesting experiment. ;)

Probably a lot of lucid dreamers have that experience; they don't have nightmares anymore or as often once they learn to have LDs. But an experiment to try manifesting a nightmare would definitely be interesting. I would bet that our subconscious minds are capable of scaring the hell out of us even though we know it's just a dream. Moonbeam's example of grabbing a door knob and having it be a hand is an example. Even though she knew it was just a dream, it still was somewhat frightening to her.

How would you go about doing this kind of experiment? Maybe just speak to the dream itself. You could say something like, "Let me experience my worst nightmare."
You dreamed of me.

Offline Caradon

• Evaluator
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2021, 05:15:33 AM »
You could say I'm a bit of a dream masochist so yeah, I love it. But it's a bit of a contradiction since I'm not afraid of being harmed in any way when I'm lucid so nothing is scary to me. I don't purposely try to change a (would be) scary situation in a lucid dream. The best way to overcome a scary dream isn't to combat it, or change it, or make yourself wake up. The best way to over come something scary in a dream, is simply to stop being afraid. It can't be a scary dream if you're not scared, right? It's just fun then.

I'm pretty sure there is a reason I've never had any problems with any kind of energy sucking vampiric dream creatures that so many people on dreaming forums seem to believe are after them and trying to feed on them in their lucid dreams.  I'd just be like, here you go, have a nice meal, enjoy. Of course, if you believe in such things and are afraid of such things, you're going to encounter such things and be fearful of those encounters which will cause more such encounters. Seems obvious, no?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 06:09:43 AM by Caradon »