Author Topic: Depth of Field In Dreams  (Read 2681 times)

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
Depth of Field In Dreams
« on: April 22, 2008, 05:33:58 PM »
This topic is a branch-off from an observation of Gilad Benari's photograph, Out of My Mind.  (You can see it in here, thanks to Nina's new inspirational series.)

Take a look at the image.  It immediately strikes me with that "hyper-realism" that is so common for me in dreams.  What makes it so is that the depth of field is infinite.  Everything is in razor focus, from right in front of your eye to miles away.

I think this is exactly what happens in dreams when we encounter that ultra-clarity or hyper-realism.  Perhaps, having recognized it, we might find it useful as a dream sign to be on the lookout for.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 08:25:01 PM by pj »
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline Vex

• Lord of the Rings
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • Ex Kitten
Re: Depth of Field In Dreams
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 06:52:48 PM »
That is a great observation.
I don't know why I didn't notice that. I really should have. I'm always screwing around with depth of field on my camera in and out of dream. Hyper Realism = Infinite DoF.

Maybe since you pointed that out I can use it too, to trigger lucidity or use the knowledge to sharpen my dreams when they're blurry. It's got to come in handy somewhere.

The impossible is possible tonight. ~Smashing Pumpkins 
https://twitter.com/MortalMist/status/473630187901317120

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 06:59:06 PM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline Aquanina

• Evaluator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 07:46:46 PM »
I'm so happy that you were able to get something worthwhile from those photographs pj. I definitely agree about the depth of field. And even the detail...like in the trees. In that "solitude" one...that tree is definitely what I would describe as "hyper-real" only...without the proper colors. The details are stunning. I have no idea how he does that amazing infra-red photography. Anyways...awesome thread, and I'm thrilled that you liked my first Featured Artist. I hope they will all be as inspirational!!

Offline Carôusoul

• Comprehender
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 08:27:59 PM »
I think there's certainly something about the colours which is reminiscient to dreaming.

That pale blue in combination with the feeling given of a gentle breeze, for me at least is highly associable with dreams.

Also that sharpness of image, yet somehow as realistic it is it become unrealistic and trancelike. It's really quite something.
One autumn night, a disciple awoke crying. The master asked him,"Did you have a nightmare?" "No." "Did you have a sad dream?" "No," said the disciple. "I had a sweet dream." "Then why are you crying so sadly?" The disciple wiped his tears and replied, "Because the dream I had can never come true..

Offline Josh

• Technical Guild
  • Synthesizer
  • Seriously Facetious
    • Lunar Light
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 10:51:15 PM »
Wow, those photographs are incredible! I love what he's done with infinite focus there! Out of My Mind in particular I love... I can only hope to one day approach that level of skill.

Ah, but getting back to the topic at hand... Great topic, pj! This reminds me of my last somewhat lengthy lucid dream, actually. Everything was super-sharp, super-clear, and super-vivid, just like that photograph, only with much brighter colors. A great observation, and something I will definitely keep in mind as a dreamsign.
"I've got to start listening to those quiet, nagging doubts." ~ Calvin

Hypoallergenic Hallucinogens -- Dreams Most Odd
Technical Guild | Creator's Guild

Offline Mes Tarrant

• Haha. Hehe.
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 10:58:27 PM »
*gasp* Ohhhh my goodness, those pictures are to die for. Nina, are there any in that style available in desktop size?
"I'm disappointed with this universe... I expected some better music."
- a DC dad

Offline 2Fruits

• Ambassador Guild
  • Analyzer
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 06:00:17 AM »
I have also noticed this before, that my DoE is strange in my dreams. On the other hand, if DoE in dreams is infinite, wouldn't that make our distance judging ability poor/none at all? I think that in some of my lucids when my DoE is infinite, I have still been able to judge distance just as I would in real life!

What about everyone else? Can you judge distance even if your DoE is infinite?

If so, could this lead to the conclusion that our mind not only remembers smell, sight, touch, taste, sound,feelings etc. but also other minute calculations such as depth of objects from other objects etc.?
All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces...

Offline Carôusoul

• Comprehender
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 09:45:31 AM »
Don't those calculations of depth fall under the heading of sight and touch though? A sense of space, which somes from senses to begin with.
One autumn night, a disciple awoke crying. The master asked him,"Did you have a nightmare?" "No." "Did you have a sad dream?" "No," said the disciple. "I had a sweet dream." "Then why are you crying so sadly?" The disciple wiped his tears and replied, "Because the dream I had can never come true..

Offline Aquanina

• Evaluator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 11:38:08 AM »
*gasp* Ohhhh my goodness, those pictures are to die for. Nina, are there any in that style available in desktop size?

Just so you guys know, in case you haven't seen it...there is a discussion thread for the Featured Artist of the Week, where this sort of discussion would better fit...so we don't high-jack the point of this thread being the hyper-reality of some lucids and such. =) That discussion thread is here: http://www.mortalmist.com/forum/index.php/topic,352.0.html

Also...those are only a few of the images I personally enjoyed...he has a huge gallery and I STRONGLY urge you all to check it out on Deviant Art. I posted a link at the beginning of that thread before the images. =)