Author Topic: Fiction, from Fantastical to Futuristic  (Read 62 times)

Offline Contratonics

• Intonating
  • Analyzer
Fiction, from Fantastical to Futuristic
« on: January 02, 2020, 11:43:37 AM »
Spurred by a comment from Caradon after a recent dream of mine, what kinds of fiction are you into?

I'm mostly a tabletop gamer, where D&D and other fantasy worlds tend to take the spotlight, but there's some real imaginative, oddball settings and systems rounding it out with things like dreamlike metaphysical landscape of Noumenon, the existential transhumanist horror of Eclipse Phase and the comfortable, storybook comedy of errors known as Cat.

On the less interactive side of things, The Witcher is blowing up in popularity now with the games and Netflix series. When I first fell in love with it only the first and third books had official English translations so I've got a lot of catching up to do. Looking forward to that. There's some good young adult series I haven't gone back to in a while too, Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus novels come immediately to mind.

More to come later maybe, I'm getting set up at work now, but feel free to take this and run with it.
Current Goals
-Recall exercises
-Dreamsign updates
-Testing new RCs
-Rally

Offline Caradon

• Evaluator
Re: Fiction, from Fantastical to Futuristic
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 01:39:43 PM »
Cool. I finished watching the Witcher show last week.  I have the game Witcher 3 on PlayStation 4.  I still have a lot to play of it, but I like it a lot. It's a beautiful world to adventure and explore in. I never even heard of Witcher until Witcher 3 the game was released, or started advertising that is. So I never read any of the books. The first season of the show  is pretty fun but I was hoping for more monster hunting action. But there are some pretty fun moments and good  Witcher fight scenes. I'm in hurry, not much time before work, add more later.

Offline Contratonics

• Intonating
  • Analyzer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 12:44:56 PM »
The games are on my list once I have a computer that can run them. I hear nothing but good things (about 2 and 3 at least) and I've been using GOG for ages, so CD Project Red has already earned a lot of good faith from me. Been hesitant to check out the show though. Aside from just finding time for it, Henry Cavill is just so...pretty. Even if everything else is great and his characterization is dead on I just know I'll struggle to see him as Geralt.

I went and looked up the Dragonlance novels after your comment in the dream journal, and holy hell there's a lot of them. Found a recommended reading order on Goodreads that I'll bookmark for later though, that piqued my interest.
Current Goals
-Recall exercises
-Dreamsign updates
-Testing new RCs
-Rally

Offline Caradon

• Evaluator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 02:52:10 PM »
The games are on my list once I have a computer that can run them. I hear nothing but good things (about 2 and 3 at least) and I've been using GOG for ages, so CD Project Red has already earned a lot of good faith from me. Been hesitant to check out the show though. Aside from just finding time for it, Henry Cavill is just so...pretty. Even if everything else is great and his characterization is dead on I just know I'll struggle to see him as Geralt.

I went and looked up the Dragonlance novels after your comment in the dream journal, and holy hell there's a lot of them. Found a recommended reading order on Goodreads that I'll bookmark for later though, that piqued my interest.

Yeah the Witcher game I have is really good. As good as RPG game can get, I think, at least with todays tech and being non VR.  And I wouldn't doubt the most beautiful game so far. Even on just the PlayStation it looks incredible. The actor in the show that plays Geralt does a really good job. He seems exactly like the character, at least how he is in the game.

Yeah the Dragon Lance is a great story. It's the second fantasy series that I've read, that got me into the genre.  The first being Douglas Niles "Moonshae Trilogy."The first book being Dark Walker on Moonshae.

The best place to start with the DragonLance  is the first book of the first trilogy. "Dragons Of Autumn Twilight" "Dragons Of Winter Night" Dragons Of Spring Dawning" Where the adventure begins. Then the second Trilogy. "Time Of The Twins" "War Of The Twins" "Test Of The Twins' Those six books (I'm pretty sure I got the order right)  are the main story. Everything else is off shoots/spin offs from that. I read the first six books twice, and kind of want to again.

Also R.A Salavatore's  Dark Elf books. And  his stand alone series "The Demon Wars saga" Are some of the best out there.   

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 03:01:43 PM by Caradon »