Author Topic: Lucid Dreaming Book Shelf  (Read 112 times)

Offline Wędajihs

• >>- GADOWAS ->
  • Synthesizer
  • Lucid Dreams: 14
Lucid Dreaming Book Shelf
« on: February 14, 2020, 02:29:09 AM »
Just thought I'd start a thread to compile a list of books about lucid dreaming that you've read and recommend. Also, a little review of book would be appreciated.

Online Caradon

• Evaluator
Re: Lucid Dreaming Book Shelf
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 12:18:59 PM »
I don't think I've read any lucid dreaming focused books other than "Exploring The World Of Lucid Dreaming." And Laberge's first one "Lucid Dreaming."

Well I read Costaneda's "Art Of Dreaming." But that is more fantasy fiction in my opinion. Maybe he did dream all that, but wouldn't take it as a literal interpretation of what one should expect to experience in their own dreams. Or use it as any real guide to lucid dreaming in general. I have my doubts the guy even dreamed any of it, just a bunch of made up stories probably.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 07:40:55 AM by Caradon »

Offline Contratonics

• Intonating
  • Analyzer
Re: Lucid Dreaming Book Shelf
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 06:31:35 PM »
Oneironautics is an odd intro lucid dreaming book written by the people who used to run Lucidipedia. It takes a sort of old-fashioned field guide approach. It's definitely not aimed at people with any real familiarity with LDing and heavily oversimplifies a lot of details for the sake of their gimmick, but the authors crowdsourced a bunch of dream excerpts from users of their website as examples to include in various sections that sort of do make the book feel like a bunch of explorers piecing together stray scraps of info on a strange alien world that makes it a fun read.

If you're into personal experiences, Carl Jung's Red Book is an exhaustive account of the dreams and "active imaginings" that inspired him to develop most of the ideas he's known for. As lukewarm as I am on Jungian psychology in general and doubtful on how reliable his written accounts are in reflecting his dreams exactly as they happened, it is one hell of a ride.

I used to own Gateway to the Inner Self by Robert Waggoner, but never got very far through it. His work has been so thoroughly assimilated into popular LD community 'common knowledge' that I feel like I might as well read a forum thread on any given subject and have a similar experience. Not a dig at the man himself, just an unfortunate side effect of his influence.

Robert Moss' Dream Gates: A Journey into Active Dreaming is on the mystical side, like most of his work, but it focuses on the popular idea of famous thinkers throughout history drawing inspiration from their dreams to solve problems in waking life. It actually does go into a bit of detail on examples (some more apocryphal than others) of how some people went about inducing useful dreams, briefly examining how and why they may have worked and offering methods to try and achieve similar effects yourself.

If you don't mind an example from my "Astral Projection is WILD" perspective, new age guru Robert Bruce has a massive, exhaustively detailed book about having out of body experiences called Astral Dynamics. I've borrowed a bunch of his visualization exercises and grounding techniques as part of my own lucid dreaming practice, especially since his focus on tactile and proprioceptive sensations over visual ones matches up with the things that come most naturally to me in dreams. I don't do WILD anymore since it extends my already uncomfortably long process of falling asleep, but when I did WILD I used Robert Bruce's methods with moderate success.

Lots of Roberts in the LD/OBE author space, come to think of it...
Current Goals
-Recall exercises
-Dreamsign updates
-Testing new RCs
-Rally