Author Topic: Stats stuff  (Read 642 times)

Offline Burned up

• Burning candles at both ends
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
Stats stuff
« on: May 05, 2009, 08:24:03 AM »
I've just been looking at the stats - the table showing number of posts etc on a monthly basis.

At the start of the year, I felt that MM was waning a little.  Not much activity.  But recently I've felt that MM is having a revival in activity.  And the stats bear this out, looking at the rising number of posts in March and April.  Hopefully May will continue the trend.
Bu

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
Re: Stats stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 09:30:39 AM »
There is an ebb and flow.

It's hard to determine what is good and bad with this community as far as the stats go. . . people will always come and go, and I'm of the opinion that we need new people coming in to keep the place alive and interesting.  At the same time, we don't want to lose our focus or intimacy - so the question of how to go about effectively promoting what we've done here without opening the flood gates to a bunch of trolls and off-topic attention is a delicate one to address.

I've done some (ethical and proper) things behind the scenes these past couple months to get us showing up on radar on the search engines.  We're still not "front page" and probably never will be - that's not been a goal. . . but our previous placement in the 500s for a search of Lucid Dream wasn't doing anything for us either.  We are now coming up 91 for "Lucid Dreaming" and 107 for "Lucid Dream" on Google.  In addition, I've initiated an experimental AdWords campaign with an extremely low budget. . . it has so far netted us one new member out of a grand total of 3 clicks - a conversion rate of 33.3%!

We have also been added to the first page results of MSN's human-edited search engine, and are showing up respectably on just about all of them now.  I've written a knol that is getting good reviews and hits so far - and that links back here.

The new front pages have made a big difference.  Continuing to focus to some degree on promoting lucid dreaming is, I believe, the key to keeping just enough new dreamers coming in here to keep this place alive and vibrant without blowing it.

Every human endeavor lives and dies on the energy and attention invested in it.  In the end, how we manage to survive and thrive is ultimately dependent on whether the members/owners of the community choose to continue investing themselves in this endeavor or not.

So far, so good.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 03:18:14 PM by pj »
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline Luminous

• Master of the Black Hole
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 10:05:06 AM »
At least all online forums and communities like this go through their ebbs and flows. I do wish we had some more lucid dreaming newbies for a change, after all, the majority of us are rather experienced, and it would be nice to share this with those who don't know much about lucid dreaming yet.

Maybe we would get more hits and potential members if we had more information and tutorials on lucid dreaming? We do have some nice and informative articles, but they are not that in dept.

(Winner of the coveted Black Hole Award!)

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 10:10:49 AM »
I would love to add more to our library.  The front pages are easy to expand - we just need people to write the content.  I just added a little tutorial on DILD last week.

The more relevant content we have, the more attention we will draw from the curious.  We're slowly rising in search engine status - now we need to earn whatever position we ultimately wish to rise to.

--pj

Offline Burned up

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 01:39:04 PM »
There is an ebb and flow.

It's hard to determine what is good and bad with this community as far as the stats go. . . people will always come and go, and I'm of the opinion that we need new people coming in to keep the place alive and interesting.  At the same time, we don't want to lose our focus or intimacy - so the question of how to go about effectively promoting what we've done here without opening the flood gates to a bunch of trolls and off-topic attention is a delicate one to address.

Yes, it's quality of membership as well as quantity.  I think I was noticing how a number of initially keen members have become less keen or even invisible this year.  That's OK so long as - as you say - new members "come in and keep the place alive and interesting".

I've done some (ethical and proper) things behind the scenes these past couple months to get us showing up on radar on the search engines.  We're still not "front page" and probably never will be - that's not been a goal. . . but our previous placement in the 500s for a search of Lucid Dream wasn't doing anything for us either.  We are now coming up (today) 91 for "Lucid Dreaming" and 107 for "Lucid Dream" on Google.  In addition, I've initiated an experimental AdWords campaign with an extremely low budget. . . it has so far netted us one new member out of a grand total of 3 clicks - a conversion rate of 33.3%!

For that, we can congratulate you!  I'm sure most advertisers would settle for that :D

We have also been added to the first page results of MSN's human-edited search engine, and are showing up respectably on just about all of them now.  I've written a knol that is getting good reviews and hits so far - and that links back here.

The new front pages have made a big difference.  Continuing to focus to some degree on promoting lucid dreaming is, I believe, the key to keeping just enough new dreamers coming in here to keep this place alive and vibrant without blowing it.

Every human endeavor lives and dies on the energy and attention invested in it.  In the end, how we manage to survive and thrive is ultimately dependent on whether the members/owners of the community choose to continue investing themselves in this endeavor or not.

So far, so good.

I doubt I'm alone in forgetting just how much time and resource you put into this site, pj.  :goodjob:
Bu

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
Thank you.  It is a pleasure to be of service.

Just checked our Google rankings - we're now at #39 for searches on "Lucid Dream" and #54 for "Lucid Dreaming".

--pj

Offline Burned up

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 04:21:22 AM »
Thank you.  It is a pleasure to be of service.

Just checked our Google rankings - we're now at #39 for searches on "Lucid Dream" and #54 for "Lucid Dreaming".

Probably well-placed for the discerning googler. ;)
Bu