Author Topic: Pulling Together Some Threads for the Next Steps  (Read 13762 times)

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
Pulling Together Some Threads for the Next Steps
« on: February 10, 2010, 03:06:50 PM »
Now that we have a mission statement settled, it is time to start pulling some of these brainstorming threads together.

Here is our current mission:

Mortal Mist is dedicated to exploring and promoting Lucid Dreaming by providing an encouraging atmosphere where member-owners share and discuss experiences, informally promoting research and knowledge of lucidity and all aspects of dreaming through individual and collective documentation and experimentation.

This mission is not clear about going after and trying to accommodate those new to lucid dreaming, though "promoting research and knowledge" could certainly encompass that goal.

In striving to maintain our encouraging atmosphere - which is encouraging at least in part because of the lack of "static" around here - we need to find a way to draw in those who are open to learning about lucid dreaming and will fit into our unique community.  We clearly aren't looking for young children.

A good place to start now, I think, is to begin capitalizing on the traffic that comes through here without ever being drawn into the forum.  Here are some current statistics for the past 30 days:

6275 visits, with 947 absolute unique visitors

We have a 27.89% bounce rate, which means that 683 people stuck around and read for a bit - either on the front pages, in the forums or both.

Of those, 17 people registered.

I believe the next steps are redoing the front pages to make the forum activity more prominent and better represented, and getting the look of the forum in sync with the new front end appearance.  Once these two things are accomplished, along with the ongoing board content reorganization and cleanup, that it will be time to launch our adwords campaign based on the keyword brainstorming thread.

At that point, a marketing campaign should be ready to go.  Now that we have some sense of what we want to do, a marketing campaign can begin to be structured.
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline Tsunami

• Lucid Dreamer
  • Analyzer
Re: Pulling Together Some Threads for the Next Steps
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 05:10:56 PM »
Now that we have a mission statement settled, it is time to start pulling some of these brainstorming threads together.

Here is our current mission:

Mortal Mist is dedicated to exploring and promoting Lucid Dreaming by providing an encouraging atmosphere where member-owners share and discuss experiences, informally promoting research and knowledge of lucidity and all aspects of dreaming through individual and collective documentation and experimentation.

This mission is not clear about going after and trying to accommodate those new to lucid dreaming, though "promoting research and knowledge" could certainly encompass that goal.

In striving to maintain our encouraging atmosphere - which is encouraging at least in part because of the lack of "static" around here - we need to find a way to draw in those who are open to learning about lucid dreaming and will fit into our unique community.  We clearly aren't looking for young children.

A good place to start now, I think, is to begin capitalizing on the traffic that comes through here without ever being drawn into the forum.  Here are some current statistics for the past 30 days:

6275 visits, with 947 absolute unique visitors

We have a 27.89% bounce rate, which means that 683 people stuck around and read for a bit - either on the front pages, in the forums or both.

Of those, 17 people registered.

I believe the next steps are redoing the front pages to make the forum activity more prominent and better represented, and getting the look of the forum in sync with the new front end appearance.  Once these two things are accomplished, along with the ongoing board content reorganization and cleanup, that it will be time to launch our adwords campaign based on the keyword brainstorming thread.

At that point, a marketing campaign should be ready to go.  Now that we have some sense of what we want to do, a marketing campaign can begin to be structured.

:clap:

Lets do it.
- Tsunami -

Offline Pancaka

• Good With Syrup
  • DreamSketcher Contest Winner
  • Evaluator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 04:40:43 PM »
HEY! I'm here somehow. So I thought it would be really cool if MM toyed with the "experimentation" aspect. I think it would be cool, but it would be changing all the logos that we have so far. Who does all of our logos and graphics anyways?
I HAVE EGGS!!! :D
Lucid Dreams 2011:
Development: Telekinesis(C) Fire(D) Flight(D)

Bas:HA FL
Int:CO CP MO TK MF WA TP JA
http://www.pancaka.deviantart.com

Offline Pancaka

• Good With Syrup
  • Evaluator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 05:00:32 PM »
I was thinking a more, clean cut, high tech, smooth, scientific lab type look. The front page could load some sweet graphic of a test tube of multicolored liquid being poured into another tube, or beaker or whatever and then POOF! out sprouts the MM tree and creates some puff of mist then the name, Mortal Mist, slowly forms as condensation. I thought that would be really cool.

I think the science road could not only look darn cool, but put an emphasis on exploration and experimentation on a personal and public level as well as look great in a marketing campaign. It's of course gotta be kinda obscure, but not so much so that before they click on the ad they don't think it's for some experimental..."enhancement" or for some free-to-play online video game.

Also, we have to be able to offer people something other than hard hard work. That is after all what lucid dreaming is. Hard work to achieve something fantastic. Still, it's really difficult to show people, who often want instant gratification why they want to join our community. The thing that got me into lucid dreaming was a fantastic description on a website. It described walking through a park with fluffy pink trees and a vibrant colored sky and flying, all as realistic and lucid as in real life. I think that in order to truly demonstrate the magic of lucid dreaming, Mortal Mist should embark on a short film project. A series of viral short films created for marketing purposes. Something decently high budget (for us that is), perhaps from a film major in college somewhere with some decent special effects. Through a film we could aptly show the black fog that is our unconsciousness, the way it scrambles from our vision once we realize the dream. We could show all sorts of strange dream happenings and with a proper team and budget we could show lucidity with an amazing, appealing, even sleek style.

Since we don't have any real "product" as our main focus, I think we should start making some. I remember there being some shirts or mugs or dream journals somewhere, but I can't remember where to find those. Where's the "shop" tab? I think that to get a larger community we're going to have to commercialize to some extent. Start selling dream journals again, start selling T-shirts with snazzy obscure logos of test tubes with trees sprouting from them. Since we don't have advertisements (not something we should change) we should take some sort of small donations. Often I hear the commercial free radio stations having their "pledge week." An annual pledge drive in which they take donations to keep the station running. I think we should devise something similar to a pledge drive, or donation, and with some sort of incentive other than "the website can stay up."

That's all I got for now. Maybe sometime I'll make a sketch of the logo I had in my head or the front page I imagined.
Lucid Dreams 2011:

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 06:38:41 PM »
I like what you're thinking!  Hopefully others will chime in.  Thank you!

Just so you know, I am rather fond of that tree. . . so as you re-imagine this, it would be pretty awesome to keep that involved somehow.  That's just my personal thing though - what the owners want, the owners will get.

--pj

Offline StarSeeker

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • I wish you the stars.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 07:10:45 AM »
Just so you know, I am rather fond of that tree. . . so as you re-imagine this, it would be pretty awesome to keep that involved somehow.  That's just my personal thing though - what the owners want, the owners will get.
I also like that tree. It's a bit of what defines us... a small bit, but a bit nonetheless.

As for the scientific lab theme...  :uhm: some people here don't look at lucid dreaming scientifically.
DJ:Oniric Archive
Awake Journal: Wild experiences on the StarS
-----------------

Sweet dreams old friends, sweet dreams.

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 08:42:54 AM »
Watch for an announcement in the Guilds by mu - he's about ready to cut the new front end loose.

I'm thinking that the best bet might be to build it in an alternate (but publicly accessible location) and then move it into place when people feel it is ready.

--pj

Offline mu

• Ishmael
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 01:35:39 PM »
Watch for an announcement in the Guilds by mu - he's about ready to cut the new front end loose.

I'm thinking that the best bet might be to build it in an alternate (but publicly accessible location) and then move it into place when people feel it is ready.
Good idea.  Stay tuned--most like today or tomorrow.

I like the tree a lot too, BTW.

Who does all of our logos and graphics anyways?
All two?  :chuckle:
Seriously, the only graphics on the front pages now are the banner and the tree, that I can think of.  (Besides background gifs and stuff.)  I've seen some of your DreamSketcher entries; your contributions would be most welcome.

I like the science idea, but there will be (eventually) a research section of the front pages.  Perhaps we can have each section themed slightly differently, to make things interesting and give it some variety.  I don't know if the first page people see should be so scientific; as StarSeeker said, not everyone is drawn by the scientific side of lucidity.

If you have any more suggestions and/or graphics, I'd love to see them in the thread when I make the announcement.

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 02:58:31 PM »
As to who did the various graphics - the original tree images are by Aquanina, the current banners are by Raklet's brother, and the cats were modified by me to fit the bill, though they are not my original drawings.

That about covers it.

Oh - Josh did the icons up front.

--pj

Offline Pancaka

• Good With Syrup
  • Evaluator
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 03:00:59 PM »
I also like that tree. It's a bit of what defines us... a small bit, but a bit nonetheless.

As for the scientific lab theme...  :uhm: some people here don't look at lucid dreaming scientifically.
I also like the tree, which is why I thought it'd be cool to have it sprouting from a test tube.

My point isn't that everyone looks at lucid dreaming "scientifically." I think that there's a large element of experimentation of sorts on this site and I think that should be represented.

Good idea.  Stay tuned--most like today or tomorrow.

I like the tree a lot too, BTW.

Who does all of our logos and graphics anyways?
All two?  :chuckle:
Seriously, the only graphics on the front pages now are the banner and the tree, that I can think of.  (Besides background gifs and stuff.)  I've seen some of your DreamSketcher entries; your contributions would be most welcome.

I like the science idea, but there will be (eventually) a research section of the front pages.  Perhaps we can have each section themed slightly differently, to make things interesting and give it some variety.  I don't know if the first page people see should be so scientific; as StarSeeker said, not everyone is drawn by the scientific side of lucidity.

If you have any more suggestions and/or graphics, I'd love to see them in the thread when I make the announcement.
Well I mean all this other...stuff. Is the other 90% of MM that we look at just some precooked forum stuff? Like that thing in the upper right corner with the italics and the pink stuff.

Well, I think we should think about giving things some freshness if we're going to start expanding. I think that using the scientific side of lucidity can give us the look. I of course don't want to lose the incredible fantasy aspect of our dreams, which is why I think we should mix a new, clean cut science look with some rougher elements, such as that tree, such as a different kind of font. I'm thinking we retool to the point that the way the forums themselves look is different. Now, the reason for that short movie is to curb that feeling of it being science, and work and boring. It's to show them how fun a lucid dream really is. It's to show them how amazing it is to fly. It's to show people how mind blowing it is that your dreams aren't just some slideshows, but your own world.

Right now I can't really draw you up any examples. I have to get ready to go to school.

Also, what cats pj?
Lucid Dreams 2011:

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 03:03:04 PM »
The italics and pink stuff are mine.

The cats - if you are using the default skin, go to the main forum page and look to the left of each board description for the dreaming cats!

--pj

Offline mu

• Ishmael
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 10:08:36 PM »
I also like the tree, which is why I thought it'd be cool to have it sprouting from a test tube.

My point isn't that everyone looks at lucid dreaming "scientifically." I think that there's a large element of experimentation of sorts on this site and I think that should be represented.
Absolutely; I think it should too.  But the "look and feel" will be something everyone agrees on.  Well, hopefully everyone.  We'll see how many people get involved..

Well I mean all this other...stuff. Is the other 90% of MM that we look at just some precooked forum stuff? Like that thing in the upper right corner with the italics and the pink stuff.
I was primarily talking about the front pages, but the ultimate goal is to have a common appearance for both them and the forum.  I don't know if we'll be waiting until the new version of the forum is in place for that--it may be some time.

Well, I think we should think about giving things some freshness if we're going to start expanding. I think that using the scientific side of lucidity can give us the look. I of course don't want to lose the incredible fantasy aspect of our dreams, which is why I think we should mix a new, clean cut science look with some rougher elements, such as that tree, such as a different kind of font. I'm thinking we retool to the point that the way the forums themselves look is different. Now, the reason for that short movie is to curb that feeling of it being science, and work and boring. It's to show them how fun a lucid dream really is. It's to show them how amazing it is to fly. It's to show people how mind blowing it is that your dreams aren't just some slideshows, but your own world.
Just to be clear, the systems for the front pages and forum are different.  I'm installing a modern content management system for the front pages, so that anyone interested can login and edit the pages or add new ones.  What we need is a theme for that--right now I'm just going to leave it with the generic default theme.  I believe that should go a long way to providing a fresh look, and more, better organized content.

The forum is a separate thing entirely, but of course we should give it a similar appearance and integrate it as tightly as possible with the front pages.  It has it's own theming system..  Like I said, we might wait for the next major version of the forum, because of the work involved..  Not much point in doing it twice.

I'm trying to make everything work good; it will take some talented artists and web designers to make everything look good.

Right now I can't really draw you up any examples. I have to get ready to go to school.
No pressure!  If and when you feel like submitting anything.

Offline mu

• Ishmael
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 10:17:45 PM »
We could add feeds and stuff with forum activity here and there.  We could even embed the forum into the front pages, so for example, clicking a forum link will fill nearly the whole screen with the forum, but still leave the front pages menus, or sidebars, etc. visible.

I haven't looked into the way the forum's themed at all..  But it looks like changing anything besides CSS would affect mods and stuff, right?

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 10:31:14 PM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline Pancaka

• Good With Syrup
  • Evaluator
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 12:54:33 AM »
HEY! I'm here somehow. So I thought it would be really cool if MM toyed with the "experimentation" aspect. I think it would be cool, but it would be changing all the logos that we have so far. Who does all of our logos and graphics anyways?

We could you use your skills.

I don't really have a whole lot of skill in web design or animation. I don't even have a whole lot of experience with electronic media. The best I think I can do is offer up roughs and concepts for an expert to expand on, flesh out and finalize. If you think my creativity is worth anything then consider my ideas that I posted above.

Also HI MOONBEAM!!! =D
Lucid Dreams 2011: