Author Topic: Pulling Together Some Threads for the Next Steps  (Read 13763 times)

Offline Pancaka

• Good With Syrup
  • DreamSketcher Contest Winner
  • Evaluator
Re: Pulling Together Some Threads for the Next Steps
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 02:25:44 AM »
Okay so I went into paint and I sketched out this thing. My photoshop hasn't been working, so it's the best I could do. There would be a lot better about this thing if I had Photoshop.

Now the tube would look a lot more stylized and less sloppy than this. Thicker lines. More like the art they use for public signs and warnings and things. The different colors would kinda dissolve or gradient into each other. I just used hatching to demonstrate it in this case. At the top a rainbow colored mist would spill out. The mist wouldn't be so vibrant. A little more faded out and wouldn't look like a bunch of hatching, but a cloudy gradient. The tree isn't perfect, but you get the point. It sprouts out from the test tube. As for the title I thought it could go at the bottom, under the tube completely, the top of the tube at the base of the tree like they are now with that white misty aura around the letters, or straight through the middle. Depending on how that's done it could look nice. Maybe slap an "MM" on the tube somewhere... Anyways there's my basic idea and motif.

I think user maniakalBycikle is pretty good with design/illustration-ish stuff. I'm also pretty sure he's got photoshop running on his computer. I'mma see if I can't get him in on this. He might be busy with college though.
I HAVE EGGS!!! :D
Lucid Dreams 2011:
Development: Telekinesis(C) Fire(D) Flight(D)

Bas:HA FL
Int:CO CP MO TK MF WA TP JA
http://www.pancaka.deviantart.com

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 08:59:26 AM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline StarSeeker

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • I wish you the stars.
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 09:32:25 AM »
The image is great, I must admit.

But again, I would choose it for the research page. I think it fits better there - we make many experiments and work a lot with LDS.
As for the front page, I know that I am repeating myself, but I can't stop thinking that it gives a somewhat wrong idea of MortalMist. For some people here, the scientific view of lucid dreaming is not only unimportant, but wrong. Some people look at lucid dreaming in a more spiritual way.
And, the fact that the tree is sprouting from a test tube, is as if saying that our community is built on science and experimentation. While part of our work here is just that, our main focus are the dream journals.

Just my two cents.
DJ:Oniric Archive
Awake Journal: Wild experiences on the StarS
-----------------

Sweet dreams old friends, sweet dreams.

Offline mu

• Ishmael
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
Pancaka, ideas like this are exactly what we need.  Any kind of thing related to appearance, layout, and functionality is welcome; absolutely no technical skill is required at all.  If you want to contribute graphics, a scanned hand-drawn image is fine!

I like your idea.  There's no research section yet, but I'm thinking we could use different kinds of images like this in each section; for example, have a more fantasy-type one in the featured dreams, or an "infinite possibilities" horizon type thing for the introductory material, etc..

StarSeeker, that's how I feel about it too, but I think Pancaka is trying to think of a unifying type of theme for all the pages.  We need that too; I think we should try to come up with something based on the mission pj gave in the first post here.

Offline Pancaka

• Good With Syrup
  • Evaluator
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 04:36:46 PM »
Here is our current mission:

Mortal Mist is dedicated to exploring and promoting Lucid Dreaming by providing an encouraging atmosphere where member-owners share and discuss experiences, informally promoting research and knowledge of lucidity and all aspects of dreaming through individual and collective documentation and experimentation.
The mission is EXACTLY where I got my idea StarSeeker...

The image is great, I must admit.

But again, I would choose it for the research page. I think it fits better there - we make many experiments and work a lot with LDS.
As for the front page, I know that I am repeating myself, but I can't stop thinking that it gives a somewhat wrong idea of MortalMist. For some people here, the scientific view of lucid dreaming is not only unimportant, but wrong. Some people look at lucid dreaming in a more spiritual way.
And, the fact that the tree is sprouting from a test tube, is as if saying that our community is built on science and experimentation. While part of our work here is just that, our main focus are the dream journals.

Just my two cents.
Yes there are probably people who look at it more spiritually, but I don't know if there are THAT many who think the scientific aspect is explicitly wrong (except maybe that "Arnie" guy lol)

Ah! You've given me another idea!

our main focus are the dream journals.

Going back to that animation thing. A book flipping open. Slowly at first and then rapidly. Suddenly a rainbow and a tree shoot out! Seems alright.

Still. As far as making our own "brand" so to speak, I think the science thingy would work very well. I think the whole clean cut, white lab coat look would really pop. Still my favorite idea. I'll draw a book one up later. Right now I have to write an essay for school.
Lucid Dreams 2011:

Offline StarSeeker

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • I wish you the stars.
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 04:42:24 PM »
Ah! You've given me another idea!

our main focus are the dream journals.

Going back to that animation thing. A book flipping open. Slowly at first and then rapidly. Suddenly a rainbow and a tree shoot out! Seems alright.
IMO, that seems more adequate.  :goodjob:

Still. As far as making our own "brand" so to speak, I think the science thingy would work very well. I think the whole clean cut, white lab coat look would really pop. Still my favorite idea. I'll draw a book one up later. Right now I have to write an essay for school.
I'll wait for your drawing, then. Good luck with your essay!
DJ:Oniric Archive
Awake Journal: Wild experiences on the StarS
-----------------

Sweet dreams old friends, sweet dreams.

Offline Sean999

• Creator's Guild
  • Evaluator
  • Only in your dreams...
    • The Sound of My Universe
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 08:34:15 PM »
I like the logo the way it is right now... but having different logos for different sections of the site is a cool idea! It's just I don't see Mortal Mist as a lab. To me, the tree and the mist and the floating island represent a mysterious and intriguing place, a place to be explored. However, I do agree that this place could benefit from a slightly more modern look.

As for the front page, I think some sort of RSS feed could advertise new posts and threads in the forums, and if people want, they could subscribe! Maybe the dream journals could have their own, too.

Offline Naiya

• Evaluator
  • Doesn't Make Sense
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 09:05:47 PM »
I like the lab/experiment idea a lot, but I think someone mentioned there would be a research page so it would probably fit best there. Having said that I think that a lot of people will decide whether or not to register based on how the forums look and how easy they are to navigate. So I also think we could use some shiny new graphics or a new layout. :D

Lucid Dream Journal

Basic: FL, GG, SO, CL, LM, LC
Intermediate: CO, MF, TP, EF, IA, DC, JA
Advanced: TE, AN, MU, HP
SP: Destinations China, Egypt, England, South America, Australia via TARDIS

Offline mu

• Ishmael
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 09:28:25 PM »
:goodjob:  Excellent.  We could use the tree as a unifying element--try to incorporate it in all the artwork somehow.  What you suggest with science and the book are a great start.

I like the logo the way it is right now... but having different logos for different sections of the site is a cool idea! It's just I don't see Mortal Mist as a lab. To me, the tree and the mist and the floating island represent a mysterious and intriguing place, a place to be explored. However, I do agree that this place could benefit from a slightly more modern look.
Yes..  I'm really liking the ideas with the tree..

As for the front page, I think some sort of RSS feed could advertise new posts and threads in the forums, and if people want, they could subscribe! Maybe the dream journals could have their own, too.
*cough* http://mortalmist.com/forum/index.php/topic,2764.0.html  :)

I like the lab/experiment idea a lot, but I think someone mentioned there would be a research page so it would probably fit best there. Having said that I think that a lot of people will decide whether or not to register based on how the forums look and how easy they are to navigate. So I also think we could use some shiny new graphics or a new layout. :D
Exactly.  A lot of people might never take a second look, based solely on appearance and layout.  They'd never even know what they're missing.

Offline Pancaka

• Good With Syrup
  • Evaluator
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 09:49:51 PM »
Well I think that the animations, the flashy visuals and the style would pull people in. Who would really be off-put by a vial of strange liquid colorizing, releasing a cloud of rainbow mist and sprouting a tree? That's awesome! Also, the short movie idea would really get things going I think. To show a high quality short movie of a lucid dream would really show people what it's like. Those without the most vivid imaginations might want to see that. We could have it on the front page. Look at any movie trailer website. We could put it all over youtube, advertise on facebook, spread awareness to high profile internet personalities like popular vloggers. That might get the word out.

I've been taking a writing class from a teacher who used to be in advertising and marketing. I'm trying to figure out ways to make lucid dreaming more interesting, more involving and give it an allure that seems fun, "cool" bad ass even. I think that look I've been advocating would accomplish that. I think it could bring about more awareness about lucid dreaming. It's something people should know about.

The most fantastic realm in this universe isn't out there. It's inside. Our own minds! Think about it! A world where anything is possible if only for a short time. Lucid dreaming is something that a lot of people don't even know about. It's actually somewhat depressing to think that there are people out there who don't have some "magic" in their life. Lucid dreaming is that magic...

I just got another idea! A tree sprouting from a hat! We're all in agreement about the tree being the unifying symbol, right?

Maybe we can use ALL of these. The book, the vial, the magic hat. Create a series of animations that could play when the front page starts.

Still. I think we should have one unifying logo. Imagine we have a tv station. What's going to show in the corner of the screen? I think my first idea. At the moment I'm just kinda brainstorming and throwing out ideas.
Lucid Dreams 2011:

Offline Pancaka

• Good With Syrup
  • Evaluator
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 10:00:09 PM »
Oh and while we're doing renovations, who created the dreamsketcher again? I think we should give it some cool new functions. I don't want to say I'm THE artist here or something, but I did win the dreamsketcher contest (/gloating) and I thought it could use some other functions. Whether or not it's been updated since the contest I can't tell...because it won't open up for me. Any idea as to what could be stopping it from working?
Lucid Dreams 2011:

Offline mu

• Ishmael
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 10:09:03 PM »
First off, I love the movie idea.. a lot.  It's just I don't know who amongst us could do that.  To have a movie of a lucid--surely that would be one of the coolest things ever--but also extremely difficult.

Coming from someone who often drinks strange liquids in dreams, I also agree that that too is awesome.  But so are other things about lucids..  We'll see what everyone seems to agree on.

I don't think lucidity could possibly be more interesting than it already is.  It's just that, in my opinion, I don't think a lot of people have any idea what is even possible.  They might even think it's BS, or that we're all exaggerating, or something.  It's to that end that we should try to be interesting to anyone, even those who couldn't care less about science.  Personally, I care a great deal about the science of it.  And we should do everything possible to be taken seriously in that respect.  But it can't just be science; after all, it would be sort of lying--a lot of what we do has little to do with serious research.  The DJs, for example.  A lot of it really is just for fun.

I couldn't agree more about the most fantastic realm in the universe.  I think that's the type of thinking that appeals to those scientifically and otherwise minded.  Some fine words there..

Keep those ideas coming..

Offline mu

• Ishmael
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 10:13:35 PM »
I believe Dodobird created the DreamSketcher.  It's been broken for a while..  I'm not sure what's wrong with it.
I'll ask pj if he ever found the source, although I'm not a Java programmer.

Offline Pancaka

• Good With Syrup
  • Evaluator
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 10:22:03 PM »
My sister takes film classes at our college. Maybe she has connections.

Maybe there should be some elements to downplay the science. I think that the sciency aspect would look very appealing. Maybe we should have some other elements there to downplay it and balance it out. Blend the two together somehow. I know it shouldn't be solely about science, but a look is important.

As for being interesting to everyone, that's what the movie is for. That's what the flashy stuff is for. That the animation has a vial in it and that it looks like I described it would be an afterthought. Still, you're right. The other aspects of the site should also be brought fourth. A more fantasy like look and maybe a more dream journal focused look could also do very well.

I don't think that because two people disagree with me on some points that my ideas should be ignored (not that that's what's happening) likewise, just because I have my own visions, I can't ignore the great ideas that everyone else is presenting. I don't think the decision comes down to me or to you, nor does it come to both of us, but to ALL of us here on MM. I think once we really Iron out ideas, really get some options solidified, we should have the members take a vote. I remember the turnout during the Dreamsketcher contest though. Wasn't exciting. So I think that there should be some sort of mandatory vote for all members after they log in. Now I don't want people to vote without thinking or knowing, just because they want to get it out of the way and pass. I think they should have a preview of both options maybe in the form of video. Sean999 does music right? We could have some screen shots and screen captures of the options with some fitting music to go with it! :P

This is all getting really cool.

Lucid Dreams 2011:

Offline mu

• Ishmael
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 10:41:49 PM »
Yeah, it is exciting.  I just wish more people thought so.  You're right about both the necessity and probable lack of participation for a vote.  But MM belongs to all of us regardless, and I wouldn't think of trying to enforce my own ideas, or any particular other one person's, without something like an agreement or compromise.

Ahh.. the movie.  I don't want to say too much about it, so you don't feel like anyone's pressuring you about anything.  You seem to be very busy with school, and this stuff is all still a ways out, so take your time, and talk to your sister when you feel like it.

I can only speak for myself, that I'm certainly not ignoring your or anyone else's ideas.  But like you said, it's not my (or our) decision.

Oh yeah--there are some *very* talented artists and musicians around here, but a lot of them might not be aware of or interested in what's happening here.