Author Topic: Music induced LD (previously "something i was thinking of")  (Read 5017 times)

Offline KayTea

• College bound dreamer!
  • Applier
  • Striving for lucids!
I love music, as many people do. So i was wondering if you could have a set song that is quite long and when the song hits a predetermined part that you have chosen you do a very thorough RC, after you build up this habit you fall asleep with the music, and if you can fall asleep in time the part of the song will reach you in the dream and get you to do a RC?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 10:35:53 AM by KayTea »

Offline DrTechnical

• Lead Tangential Thinker
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
Re: Something i was thinking of
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 02:16:27 PM »
Actually, I think that is a very clever idea. Might be a lot of work, but clever.

The only practical issue, is insuring that you're in REM, when that portion of the song hits. That can be a little hit or miss. If you try it, try it very late in your sleep cycle after a long WBTB, to maximize the likelihood of the song overlapping a dream.
"In a fearful stampede to save themselves from the terrifying menace of an original idea, the herd can become a mindless destroyer of the light." - Thomas Campbell

"I just had to get nice last night. My Mind is so free, you wouldn't believe ... you wouldn't believe" - Dave Wyndorf

"I don't understand. How can less be more? That's impossible. More is more." - Yngwie Malmsteen

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 07:27:59 AM »
I like the idea!  As DrT mentions, timing will be pretty important.

I sometimes let music play when I sleep - particularly jazz and ambient/New Age music.  It often seeps into my dreams, and I love it when it does.
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline Kraftwerk

• Not the worst Chess Player anymore...
  • Analyzer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 12:23:54 AM »
Wow, this idea is a gem. I think I'll make an ambient mix with several 8-10 minute songs, and reality check during each songs climax- That way I'm very very likely to get lucid.

Offline KayTea

• College bound dreamer!
  • Applier
  • Striving for lucids!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 10:34:40 AM »
Yeah but i think a problem with it might be if the song goes off too early it will cause you to RC when you are not asleep yet and might throw you off, you have to make the song climax hit in the dream.

Offline AspirationRealized

• Aspirant Oneironaut
  • Chat Moderator
  • Evaluator
  • The Cat's Pajamas
Re: Music induced LD (previously "something i was thinking of")
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 11:05:34 AM »
I was talking to a group of buddies from my RP site about lucid dreaming. Of the three people I explained it to, only one really took to it (the others said it's "not for" them. What does that mean?).

Anyway after teaching him what lucidity is and some core techniques, he practiced for about a week, reality checking and journaling. Just two days ago he got his first lucid, and it was a WILD of all things.

How does this relate to this topic? Well he said he fell asleep focused on the beat of his music, which eventually took him to SP, some freaky HI, and finally a lucid dream.

Some specifics that may have been a factor: he is in the habit if listening to music as he sleeps. He listens to trance and electronic music, mostly. He also had the music VERY loud- when I asked him if he felt vibrations transitioning into a dream, he said he can't confirm it because he got vibrations from the heavy bass of the song. 

I'm just offering a perspective on what you might be talking about. Thought it might help you out.

Drow, drow, drow your canoe
 The stream provides flotation
 Hysterically, hysterically, hysterically, hysterically
 Existence is hallucination

...have you ever met anyone who actually changed?

Offline Serenity

• Teacher's Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 12:15:02 PM »
When I have tried to WILD with "sounds" in the past (meaning music or white noise), I have definitely had more luck in getting closer into that WILD with the music than I have with the white noise.

I won't be able to test this again until Monday night, but what I've noticed is, the white noise is too level, too straight, and too unchanging for me to be able to use it as a passive awareness anchor.

It's recommended to use a song that has no lyrics... This is one of my faves, because it reminds me of beaches (my inner world is a beach house). It's recommended because the song will carry over into your WILD, and a lot of people find music very distracting. Anyways, whatever you choose, make it lyric-less and quiet, imo.

However, I have also found a lot of luck with "Julia" by the Beatles.

Or maybe I'm just a sucker for finger-picked guitars, who knows? :P Anyways, in the next week, I'm going to practice with using the first song as my anchor, we'll see how it goes :D
What would you do if you were dreaming right now?

Offline KayTea

• College bound dreamer!
  • Applier
  • Striving for lucids!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 12:48:10 PM »
I'm thinking of using Aqueous Transmission by Incubus (sp on the song?) as it's good length, very peaceful and there are moments in the song that are very distinct so i can try to "anchor" a RC to it.

Offline AspirationRealized

• Aspirant Oneironaut
  • Chat Moderator
  • Evaluator
  • The Cat's Pajamas
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 03:55:13 PM »
Two weeks without my lover
I'm in this boat alone
Floating down a river called emotion
Will I make it back to the shore
Or drift into the unknown?

You spelled it right. Good taste, KayTea.

I think music would distract me too much. I tend to concentrate on the music too hard rather than let it flow like some people. But that song is actually pretty good for getting "lost" in. There's also a website dedicated to that song alone.
Drow, drow, drow your canoe
 The stream provides flotation
 Hysterically, hysterically, hysterically, hysterically
 Existence is hallucination

...have you ever met anyone who actually changed?

Offline Toast

• Analyzer
  • ..or am I a butterfly?
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 06:06:02 AM »
I love music, as many people do. So i was wondering if you could have a set song that is quite long and when the song hits a predetermined part that you have chosen you do a very thorough RC, after you build up this habit you fall asleep with the music, and if you can fall asleep in time the part of the song will reach you in the dream and get you to do a RC?

I more or less did this last night, with the desired effect :)
I WBTB'd very briefly, and then put a particular song (Neopolitan Dreams Remix) on repeat on my laptop and went back to sleep. The song is one I always use to help me sleep when I'm taking naps and things so I fell asleep quickly. During my dream I became aware of the song playing in my dream world, and realised I was dreaming.

Having the song on repeat solved the problem of timing, and also means that if the music only filters through to you later in the dream, then that still works. Anyway thanks for the idea KayTea :)

Offline Serenity

• Teacher's Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 11:00:34 AM »
Going to try this too, for my WILDs :D Just in case I accidentally fall asleep, I might be able to catch it with the song :D
What would you do if you were dreaming right now?

Offline Kraftwerk

• Not the worst Chess Player anymore...
  • Analyzer
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 04:26:42 PM »
I'm gonna try this when I nap later today. I"ll report back ^_^

Offline Namaste

• Evaluator
  • Dreaming Daeva
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 03:11:46 AM »
It's certainly very plausible especially if you get the timing right - I've never listened to music before bedtime or have had it on whilst sleping so it might take me sometime to establish this as an RC. I wonder if you made it a habit to RC at the beginning of every song you ever heard (when awake) and then if you left the music playing all night there might be a chance you might RC in one or more of your REM sessions. It's a good idea as it is an outside stimulus that you can rely on and you might get there if you could train yourself to RC at the points of the songs you describe.
Total Lifetime LDs: 54
(53 DILDS 1 FILD - many of the DILDs have been induced by WBTB or FILD/WILD Attempts - or both)

Challenges completed
          Bas:  HA, FL, GG, SO
          Int:  CO, CP, MF, TK, DC
          Adv:  None yet (waaah!)

Offline Locust

• Collector
  • Comprehender
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 07:29:43 PM »
I'm thinking of using Aqueous Transmission by Incubus (sp on the song?) as it's good length, very peaceful and there are moments in the song that are very distinct so i can try to "anchor" a RC to it.

Teehee does anyone else find it delightfully ironic that a band called Incubus is being considered for lucid dream assistance? :D 

I think this is a great idea im definitely going to try it and im also going to try out Namaste's idea and RC when I hear a song start. In fact using music in general to  prompt RCs sounds useful :)
"But when I wake up from sleep
My eyes are full of rust
There is nothing I can keep
My vision fades to dust"- In Strict Confidence

There, in the midst of complete insanity I was surprised to hear myself laugh :dance:

Offline DC

• Has yet to reliably get out of his room
  • Applier
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 09:17:07 PM »
This sounds like a nice technique, my heavy metal probably wouldn't be conducive to sleep though :chuckle:
Total lucids: 105
Challenges completed:-
Basic: HA, FL, GG, RS, LC
Intermediate: CO, JA, CP, DC, MF
Advanced: VP, OS

Quote from: Vex Kitten
You stabbed yourself in the neck? That's kinda awesome..