Author Topic: Neuro-Novelty Induced Lucid Dream  (Read 2814 times)

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
Neuro-Novelty Induced Lucid Dream
« on: October 08, 2010, 07:38:38 AM »
This idea stems from a discussion in John's DJ, beginning here:
http://mortalmist.com/forum/dream-journals/john%27s-lucid-dreams/msg95403/#msg95403

Here are a couple of the important bits:
It might not have to be anything really intense, just something different from what you would ordinarily do. Something to break up your usual routine. Everyday life is often a lot like a non-lucid dream, because you're doing things on autopilot. Consciously choosing to do something unusual is more like being in a lucid dream. If you're lucid more often while awake, maybe you'll be lucid more often while asleep. It doesn't have to be anything big or dramatic, like bungee jumping. It could be something like choosing to watch a particular TV show--or reading a particular book--that is significantly different from the kind of thing you'd ordinarily choose. Or, when out driving somewhere, take a short side trip into a neighborhood you've never visited before. Maybe even get out and walk around.

That may or may not work; you never know what's going to grab the SC's attention.  I don't, anyway.  But it's a good principle to try new things.

I'm thinking that perhaps anything that breaks our routine creates an opportunity.  This could mean watching a movie that has an impact on you, traveling or doing something out of the ordinary.  My hunch is that anything involving thinking in ways we aren't used to might work.

I mention this on reflecting what has changed for me the past couple weeks, and it is the deroofing and (soon to be) disassembly of a small barn.  This has had me balancing on a steep roof in the middle of a farm field with a loader bucket as a safety net.  Even though much of my summer has involved shingling projects, this is different. . . and I've not only had night after night of dreams involving shingling, but I've been enjoying pretty excellent recall and even some lucidity.

The thing is I think there is something about using your brain in ways it isn't used to being used that might be able to be leveraged.  I'm going to be conducting another experiment on this very deliberately. . . learning how to checker gun stocks while concentrating on constant awareness.  I'm sure that the checkering will creep into my dreams - and, if I develop the awareness idea at the same time, perhaps that will too.

If I were lucid every time I was working on roofs in my dreams, I would have 20+ more lucids in my journal from the past couple weeks.

What would we call this?  Neuro-Novelty Induced Lucid Dream?  (NNILD).
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
Re: Neuro-Novelty Induced Lucid Dream
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 07:42:21 AM »
And my set of gun stock checkering tools has arrived!

--pj

Offline The Littlest Leaf Dragon

• Alis Volat Propriis
  • Teacher's Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 10:02:03 AM »
I think it might be a start.  Combining it with awareness techniques and other such would make it more likely to work for lucidity instead of just seeding more random dreams about these new experiences.  It also seems to go along with AspiR's endeavors thing, only in reverse.  Do it then dream it.

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 10:11:19 AM »

Name it, man!  What would you like to call it?

--pj

Offline DrTechnical

• Lead Tangential Thinker
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 10:11:55 AM »
It's a reasonable concept.

Dreams tend to me manifestations of the previous days residue. If you purposely do a little somthing to break out of the loop, and then perhaps reflect on it at WBTB, that might prove an interesting combo? I think it would have a potential imoact on incubation and subject if nothing else.
"In a fearful stampede to save themselves from the terrifying menace of an original idea, the herd can become a mindless destroyer of the light." - Thomas Campbell

"I just had to get nice last night. My Mind is so free, you wouldn't believe ... you wouldn't believe" - Dave Wyndorf

"I don't understand. How can less be more? That's impossible. More is more." - Yngwie Malmsteen

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 10:20:35 AM »
From Thesaurus.com:  induced synonyms starting with a (necessary for pronounceable acronym) vowel:

abeted, activated, actuated, effected, engendered, impelled, incited, influenced, instigated (though you don't want I's.)  occasioned, urged, wheedled

--pj

Offline AspirationRealized

• Aspirant Oneironaut
  • Chat Moderator
  • Evaluator
  • The Cat's Pajamas
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 11:40:17 AM »
I have this effect when I take up a new interest, specifically. When I first got into sleight of hand I was performing things with my hands all while I was sleeping. Mafia kept my mind busy at night as well.

Ive found this has more of an effect with things that seem to be occupying my attention, whereas something that is merely new may not qualify.

However, interestingly enough, if I have a long work day I'll find myself sewing in my dreams. Sewing is boring to me, and it certainly isn't new, but it has the very same effect described above.

I believe this technique could benefit from some discovery of what exactly causes this. Just suggesting we consider all angles here.
Drow, drow, drow your canoe
 The stream provides flotation
 Hysterically, hysterically, hysterically, hysterically
 Existence is hallucination

...have you ever met anyone who actually changed?

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 11:56:33 AM »
Good points all, AspiR!

Why have I been shingling in my dreams?  That's not stripping shingles - it is because I've been doing that tedious task most of the summer, off and on.  Production work in the shop sometimes (but not always!) has the same effect.

So many questions. . .

--pj

Offline AspirationRealized

• Aspirant Oneironaut
  • Chat Moderator
  • Evaluator
  • The Cat's Pajamas
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 06:34:17 PM »
Just some ideas concerning the different angles you could look at this from.

The first and most important, at least in my opinion, is intent. I'm going to assume you didn't dream of these things intentionally. When you do it intentionally, it is no longer a "new" technique and becomes merely another form of incubatio, in my opinion. So there is some question of why we dream of it without trying to, and whether or not we can do it on purpose, and if we can what's the best way to classify it for further understanding.

Another thing worthy of note is the common feature of something you're doing manually. Some elements to consider are that it has to do with the hands (which seems to have an almost mystical quality in dreams), and you could consider a relevance in the mechanical, tactile, and even visual nature of it.

The reason I say this is when I was having sleight of hand dreams, I could see my hands and feel the mechanical actions. However, my focus was barely on the cards, so visually my hands were emphasized. I didn't have a relevant recollection of the tactile sensation of the cards either. Of course this is just an individual experience.

Mafia throws a wrench in things with the above ideas, slightly. Mafia is not a manual task. When I was having mafia dreams, my mind was "actively" considering the game. I'd half expect I spoke of it out loud (and now I wonder if the leads I was considering made it from reality to the dreamspace, or if the dreamspace created them entirely!). The most of any physical activity was maybe the act of reading stuff at the forum (and I've had dreams about MM chat and the forum that weren't mafia related either) but in this case the mental activity was more relevant than the physical activity.

So whether it is mental or physical activity that is emphasized presents another way of looking at this concept, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:42:31 PM by AspirationRealized »
Drow, drow, drow your canoe
 The stream provides flotation
 Hysterically, hysterically, hysterically, hysterically
 Existence is hallucination

...have you ever met anyone who actually changed?

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 02:36:27 PM »
And my set of gun stock checkering tools has arrived!

So, has the gun stock checkering had any effect on your dreams yet?
In the secret space of dreams
Where I dreaming lay amazed
When the secrets all are told
And the petals all unfold
When there was no dream of mine
You dreamed of me.
-- from Attics of My Life, by Robert Hunter

Offline mentalenforcer

• Evaluator
  • If you are not someone else...
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 04:18:03 AM »
The last notably unusual thing I did was spend a short time gazing at the spaces between the shadows of the leaves of a tree, as if they formed their own object.  That night I had a lucid.

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 05:09:55 AM »
The last notably unusual thing I did was spend a short time gazing at the spaces between the shadows of the leaves of a tree, as if they formed their own object.  That night I had a lucid.

Good idea! Have to try that.
In the secret space of dreams
Where I dreaming lay amazed
When the secrets all are told
And the petals all unfold
When there was no dream of mine
You dreamed of me.
-- from Attics of My Life, by Robert Hunter

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 07:03:28 AM »
So, has the gun stock checkering had any effect on your dreams yet?

Apologies for not seeing this sooner, John!

No - not yet.  I've not done much of it yet either - only a couple practice pieces.  I'll be getting a lot more into it as the weather gets worse.

--pj