Author Topic: Reality Check Moments  (Read 65025 times)

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
Reality Check Moments
« on: April 22, 2008, 09:05:41 AM »
This thread is to share things that happen that cause us to do a Reality Check.

Example:  Yesterday afternoon, I was driving through a city subdivision on the north side of Detroit and had to stop to let a huge, lumbering skunk stroll across an intersection.  I did multiple reality checks while waiting!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 09:09:33 AM by pj »
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline Burns

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Aegis Guild
  • Evaluator
Re: Reality Check Moments
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 10:13:22 AM »
My biggest reality check moment came on my birthday this year. I saw an ex boyfriend IRL who I haven't seen for about 8 years, who last I knew lived about 2 hours north of me, and who I occasionally have dreams about to this day (or, I should say, he was in them - they weren't about him).

I was at dinner with James and the ex recognized me and came over to our table. I was stunned, and immediately thought I was dreaming! Ever since that weird event, he's never appeared in any dreams again. Quite nice, actually :)

Offline Vex

• Lord of the Rings
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • Ex Kitten
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 01:55:29 PM »
Last week I saw what was very obviously a guy dressed like a female, stilleto heels and all. I did a double take and then bit my finger repeatedly to do a pain check. It hurt.
The impossible is possible tonight. ~Smashing Pumpkins 
https://twitter.com/MortalMist/status/473630187901317120

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 02:01:37 PM »
Depending on the guy, it could hurt more than that!

--pj

Offline Emerald Wolf

• *Slept through the Apocalypse*
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
  • Bittersweet is still Sweet
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 01:01:45 PM »
On my way to university one day I noticed one of the houses had a zero (the other digits had fallen off)  as its street number and was thinking that that was a mildly RC sort of thing. Then further on I noticed two other houses on my route also had "non-existant" addresses.
Bas: -
Int: MO, CO
Adv: -

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 01:30:15 PM »
That's a funny one to notice!  It is also really observant.

I think it really takes a refined sense of observation to be a successful lucid dreamer.  Picking up on those RC moments is really key to successful DILDing.

--pj

Offline phoenelai

• phoensnd
  • Analyzer
  • proximity infatuation
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 02:08:23 PM »
I was in the bath room, I heard really creepy industrial scratching like noises (straight out of horror flick) so I looked at my hands to make sure it wasn't the start of a nightmare.

Bas: HA, FL, LM, SO, RS
Int: DC, CP, WW, WA, TP, DF, TK, CO
AD: LO, OS, LW, PI

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 02:11:53 PM »
And... what WAS it?

Or don't I want to know?

--pj

Offline Soldier

• Comprehender
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 02:39:00 AM »
now this may not be a shocker but 4 minutes ago I walked into my bathroom and there was a HUGE picture behind me (I was looking at the mirror). I quickly did the hand check, light check and nose check. Im so used to walking into my bathroom with the plain wall being there and since my mom put it there without telling me, well I was shocked.

Offline Mark

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 04:13:42 PM »
well once on my way home from work I was walking along the street and I turned a corner onto a road with about 10 or more dogs on it! considering I hardly ever see dogs were I live I was totally having a WTF momemnt
"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes" Ghandi

"What a man can be, he must be: A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, to be ultimately at peace with himself". Maslow

Offline Oneironaught

• with a "gh"
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
  • twitterpated +10
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 01:05:43 AM »
Here's two examples that come to mind:

1) Almost a year ago I was sitting on my front porch re-reading Lucid Dreaming and saw a little boy walk down the road and in front of the post office. Something about him seemed strange and dream-like. I saw him walking without paying any attention to where he was going. He continued on and went to the little convenient store.

I thought to myself, "If this was a dream that kid would have probably gotten hit by a car." I read a few more pages then glanced up to see the boy on the ground partially underneath a pickup truck that had backed out of the post office parking lot and run him over. Next thing I know, a police is there. Then the boy's Mom pulls up. The stranger is hugging the little boy.

Then - as quickly as it began - everything cleared out like nothing ever happened  ??? I probably did 25 RCs in that three-five minute time span. But it was like I blinked and the commotion appeared then I blinked and it all disappeared. I somehow missed the intermediate stages completely.

2) The day I was invited to join MM (and about an hour after I signed up) I walked out of the shop to be confronted by the biggest, boldest, most clear in-your-face rainbow I've ever seen. A double rainbow at that. I stood there in awe and RC'd a number of times. Then I continued to do so for another half hour as I drove across town to run some errands.
Life is wonderful

Offline Mes Tarrant

• Haha. Hehe.
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 01:32:52 AM »
I was sitting in a very serious lecture a few months ago (a political science course), and all of a sudden a bunch of students dressed in animal skins ran into the lecture hall and down the isles, screaming and shouting at the top of their voices. They made a full circle around the lecture hall and left as abruptly as they came. Yeah, did a few RCs there. :D
"I'm disappointed with this universe... I expected some better music."
- a DC dad

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »
2) The day I was invited to join MM (and about an hour after I signed up) I walked out of the shop to be confronted by the biggest, boldest, most clear in-your-face rainbow I've ever seen. A double rainbow at that. I stood there in awe and RC'd a number of times. Then I continued to do so for another half hour as I drove across town to run some errands.

And that rainbow has become part of the identity of Mortal Mist.

I was sitting in a very serious lecture a few months ago (a political science course), and all of a sudden a bunch of students dressed in animal skins ran into the lecture hall and down the isles, screaming and shouting at the top of their voices. They made a full circle around the lecture hall and left as abruptly as they came. Yeah, did a few RCs there. :D

Did you find out what that was all about?

--pj

Offline Mes Tarrant

• Haha. Hehe.
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 12:35:23 PM »
They were advertising some event related to the school, maybe a football game or something. :) I wish that would happen more often. Lectures can get monotonous.
"I'm disappointed with this universe... I expected some better music."
- a DC dad

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 12:57:01 PM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »