Author Topic: Browser incompatibility with the post editor?  (Read 1386 times)

Offline DrTechnical

• Lead Tangential Thinker
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
Browser incompatibility with the post editor?
« on: December 28, 2010, 08:55:29 PM »
My main computer is very old and is running IE version 8.something as I recall. Works great at MM, no issue.

My work computer has a very new version of IE. God only knows where the hell to even find the version number on this one?

Anyway, I have an issue where when my text is past the point where the scroll bar comes into play, the text I'm writing remainis buried under the lowest point in the edit window. Everytime a make a key stroke it jumps up, then goes back down under the lowest point of the edit window. In effect, I'm typing blind.

It's also a major issue when trying to highlight text to add color etc ... which is almost impossible.

Anyone have a solution to this problem? Will this go away if I download a different browser?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:37:36 PM by DrTechnical »
"In a fearful stampede to save themselves from the terrifying menace of an original idea, the herd can become a mindless destroyer of the light." - Thomas Campbell

"I just had to get nice last night. My Mind is so free, you wouldn't believe ... you wouldn't believe" - Dave Wyndorf

"I don't understand. How can less be more? That's impossible. More is more." - Yngwie Malmsteen

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
Re: Browser incompatibility with the post editor?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 10:43:01 PM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline The Littlest Leaf Dragon

• Alis Volat Propriis
  • Teacher's Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 12:24:23 AM »
If you use Firefox, you might be interested in checking out the Lazarus extension.  I personally recommend Opera, as it has been my browser of choice for a few versions.

Basically:
*If you want the ability to extend your browser to do all sorts of interesting things, go for Firefox.  It has by far the largest repository of extensions.  It also tends to run a bit slow and memory heavy, in my experience.

*If you want a good solid browser that doesn't put menus across half of the screen, go for Opera.  It is an old browser that tends to be the one that has the most original innovations, and it has built in what Firefox needs to be extended to do, such as bookmark syncing, mouse gestures (e.g. right then left click to go back and vice versa to go forward), and more.  Version 11 also has the ability to group tabs and compress the groups, which is good if you have more than about 15 tabs open at a time.  I recommend Opera 11 or whatever the latest nightly build is.

*Another good browser that you won't even notice is Chrome.  The good points for this browser are compatability with web sites, more extensions than Opera, and plugin sandboxing, so if flash crashes it doesn't take the browser with it.  Also, you can expand text boxes like you can do with windows.  It is a bit resource heavy, but not near as much as FF in most cases.  I use a fork called SRWare Iron as my backup browser.  Downside is that it has a bit of problems running MM Chat, but I've only seen you in twice, so you shouldn't mind that.  Check out Lazarus for this browser as well.

None of the browsers listed above will have problems with the main site.

Offline mu

• Ishmael
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 12:45:55 AM »
I'm pretty sure IE9 is still in beta, so 8 is actually the most recent.

Does it sound like this:  http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=3354

I'll look into it, but even the SMF developers there seem pretty stumped..  I have to agree that using another browser is the best bet if you can.  All versions of IE are broken (i.e. defy web standards) by design.

Edit:  If you're unable to install a different browser, see if it could at least be updated--apparently this is a known bug that was fixed in an update.  (I'm sure they fixed it good.)  You might also try putting the browser in compatibility mode: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956197
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 01:15:47 AM by mu »

Offline DrTechnical

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 11:11:07 AM »
Thanks Mu. Sounds like a known issue, so I will go the easy route and simply downoad firefox when I get a chance. No big deal.

This is exactly why I don't like latest/greatest technology. Gets released before they have it right.
"In a fearful stampede to save themselves from the terrifying menace of an original idea, the herd can become a mindless destroyer of the light." - Thomas Campbell

"I just had to get nice last night. My Mind is so free, you wouldn't believe ... you wouldn't believe" - Dave Wyndorf

"I don't understand. How can less be more? That's impossible. More is more." - Yngwie Malmsteen

Offline The Littlest Leaf Dragon

• Alis Volat Propriis
  • Teacher's Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 06:50:15 PM »
This is exactly why I don't like latest/greatest technology. Gets released before they have it right.

It's an IE thing.  Their browser is buggy no matter how old it is.  I usually use the latest build of my browser and it never has any problems.

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 09:45:50 PM »
It's beyond buggy.  Microsoft browsers, since the very beginning, have been designed to work best with proprietary tags and to not work with some (or many) developing features from the standards.  It's been a constant battle, always intended to make Microsoft's browser and functionality the recognized standard.  It hasn't worked, but they haven't (and probably won't) give up.
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline DrTechnical

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 09:53:07 PM »
Well then. F the evil empire that is Microsoft. And F Cisco while we're at it!  :mad:

Offline DrTechnical

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 09:59:53 PM »
testing
firefox
version 3.6.13

sdckl

s;dc

sdckln

sdc;lkn

sdc[lk

sdcplkn\

sdc[okn

Success!

Offline mu

• Ishmael
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 01:53:38 AM »
Great!  Glad it works.

What you say about work-arounds..  Every single other browser tries very hard to do things the same way in the name of interoperability and progress.  IE purposefully does not.  They claim all sorts of BS reasons like backward compatibility, but of course it's exactly how pj describes it.  So the code is always full of all sorts of special cases for "special" IE, and it takes years before we can safely use new features, not because they're not thoroughly tested, standardized, and implemented, but because IE alone does it different or not at all.

I don't understand how professional web developers and designers haven't just gotten fed up after years of this and simply abandoned support for IE and encouraged everyone to download one of the many excellent and completely free browsers.

While I'm at it, why, oh why does HTML5 forsake XML?  :stillnorecall: