Author Topic: Waiting for the Lightlevels to increase.  (Read 3040 times)

Offline SKA

• Comprehender
Waiting for the Lightlevels to increase.
« on: April 23, 2008, 04:58:09 AM »
Thanks to PJ's topic Sensory Induction of Lucid Dreams I got an idea.

I noticed that, from the moment you first close your eyes to the moment you are in a Dream, the Lightlevels of your Closed Eye Vision gradually and significantly increase.

At first, while trying to fall asleep after just having closed your eyes it is pitchblack, then some occasional incoherent flashes of faint to bright colored dots and stripes may appear. Next the frequency of the dots and stripes will increase and gradually will start to form patterns that will occasionally turn into very realistic 3D shapes;In my case often vortexes or large spheres crawling with vividly moving/sliding Geometric patterns. This is when we've first reached the Hypnagogic Stage and in  this stage, the lightlevels of these detailed, colored closed eye visions are yet another degree higher. As this progresses the Hypnagogic stage may present short lived, incoherent images to you of rooms, landscapes, faces, human or animal shapes in the most breathtaking Realism, Clearity, Detail and not as faint semitransparant images but as Fully lit, Saturated images in the Brightest Lightlevels.

So obviously the lightlevels of our Closed Eye Vision gradually increases from pitchblack to summersun-light brightness as we make our way towards a dream while falling asleep in bed.

Here's my idea:
Maybe, to stay focussed while falling asleep, one could Imagine lying in an Enviroment of one's imagination, or an Enviroment from Waking Life. Just make sure it's the kind of Enviroment that you can Visualise really good and one that would be desirable to start a Lucid Dream in. A vivid memory of a Waking Life Enviroment is perfect if you know that Enviroment REALLY well in high detail, otherwise a Drawn Enviroment out of your fantasy will do also. Maybe even build a Scale model of the enviroment in Great detail and study it for lengthy periods of time, really getting it into your visual memory. A somewhat small Enviroment like a Room or small Hall would be good to start with as it's not too complicated and therefor will be easier to visualy remember. Keep studying the Scale model/Drawing untill you have memorised the entire room and all it's details. Really KNOW that room, you know?
Don't forget to, somewhere in your Enviroment, you should place your bed with you lying in it with open eyes.

I have thought of a Certain enviroment to visualise myself for this purpose, but it will also be a good example for you.
An Octagonal Space, about 100 square meters of floorspace inside, with walls that are certainly 18 meters high supporting a Domed ceiling.
The floor a Dark Terracotta brown, the Walls a smooth and bright off-white/beige/darkyellow surface and an open door/portal leading to a short hallway
around a corner that leads you outside the structure into the open air.
I will first sketch and draw this enviroment. Then I will make a Scale model of it which I will study very closely untill I KNOW that room. Till I can Dream it.
When I KNOW the room enough to easily Visualise it from my memory I will proceed to the WILD I had in mind

I thought of this:
(1)Now when you lie in Bed, having just closed your eyes and attempting to WILD, you could Visualise lying in a bed in your chosen Enviroment. You ARE lying there and your eyes are open; It's just that in this Dreamed enviroment your Perception is not(yet) capable to percieve anything at all, so that's why it's pitchblack. Allthough you cannot see the Enviroment(yet) , You KNOW it's there. You KNOW that you're in a Bed and around it is an octagonal room with a high domed ceiling, or a vast Dessert plane, or a Sunny Park from a Youth memory, or whichever Enviroment you choose. Just KNOW your enviroment and realise you can't see it because your Perception is still in the process of shifting to another Perception mode to "Light different than that from and independant from the outside world". So during that shifting process you are lying there totally blind, deaf, senseless and paralised and inable to percieve anything.
(2) As Hypnagogic Imagery sets on your Perception is geared up and you are able to perceive more, allthough the perceptions(mostly Seen Images) are still very incoherent and have no continuity or meaning yet. You're still in that Bed like a Blind, Deaf, Paralysed Zombie, but at least your perception has started to order itself, allthough gradually. Allthough what you see doesn't quite look like the actual Imaginative Enviroment you're in yet, it gradually will as your perception has fully, 100% shifted to the Perceptionmode to percieve the DreamWorld coherently and continuously. Just focus and be awae of the Enviroment around you 100%, all the time untill you can clearly see it in the Light of Dreams. Just like waiting for your eyesight to "Shift" from the Light to the Dark, but then a little longer and from Wakefull Percievable Reality to Dreaming Percievable Reality.
(3) Sweet Lucid Dreams.

Well nice theory huh? But this is as of yet merely a nice idea. I'm going to sketch and draw the room and also make a scale model. I will post some pictures of it here when I'm done .
Anyone else willing to experiment with this?

Offline three and four

• Ambassador Guild
  • Analyzer
  • Greetings, earthlings!
Re: Waiting for the Lightlevels to increase.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 05:09:36 AM »
Man, that is REALLY interesting! I'm going to start by giving it lots of thought and then seeing how I can apply it to me next WILD attempts. Thanks!
"And if in our sleep and dreams we perceive, more distinctly than in the day-life, signs of the highest beauty and the purest bliss, - should we not then give them our closest attention?"

Frederick van Eeden

Offline dodobird

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
    • Free music and software by Dodo Bird
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 02:31:19 PM »
Brilliant!

I have a problem visualizing and possible this can help. My problem is that when laying in bed, I keep changing my mind at to what I want to visualize. I think the effort that visualization takes makes it too tempting for me to to try replace the image. If I can easily remember the image because I have studied it long, I may be able to stay focused on it.

Another birlliant suggestion that you have made, is imagining that I am already inside the dream environment, that it is all around me, but I just can't see it yet. This may make the visualization for involved, more exiting, and therefor easier to focus on.

This is how I think I'll try: Since usually when I WILD I start at the bed in my house (or the house where I grew up), it will make sense to visualize my own room. Visualizing my whole room is difficult for me because there are too many details, and possible view angles, so I can hang something on my ceiling above the bed, such as a painting, poster, or tapestry, and I will study it well until I can visualize it easily.
Then I will follow SKA's procedure and imagine that I am in my own room, looking at the image on the ceiling, until the 'light' will bright up, and can actually see it :)

Offline Aquanina

• Evaluator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 02:36:31 PM »
I'm not sure I entirely understand...as I usually just let my mind wander into its own fantasy lands.

But what about visualizing yourself in your bed, on a sunny beach. Doesn't get much brighter and simpler than that. Maybe I've misunderstood something, but that's what I would try anyhow.

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 08:49:52 PM »
Well nice theory huh? But this is as of yet merely a nice idea. I'm going to sketch and draw the room and also make a scale model. I will post some pictures of it here when I'm done .
Anyone else willing to experiment with this?

It is a great theory, and a nice extension of the tactile/sensory approach.  Trying to remember or imagine all of the sensory input is quite challenging.  Imagining waking into a environment seems like it would be much less challenging.

I'm going to try this using a space I already know well and where I very often experience lucid dreams; our northern cottage.  It is an odd old building, consisting partly of an old house trailer which has been built over and added onto over the years.  The thing about this space that makes it so easy for me to get lucid in, it seems, is a constant awareness of the possible need to tend to the wood stove.  It is a catalytic unit, easily capable of cooking us out... and at the very low levels we try to use it at, also very capable of dropping below the catalytic temperature and smothering itself, leaving us cold.  But I digress...

I am going to imagine being in the dark up there, laying on the couch.  I will begin to feel the heat from the wood stove and hear nothing but the wilderness at night that is so different from here in the city.  I will feel the couch under me and gradually awaken to my surroundings.

I like this idea a lot.  It is a place I know intimately, by sight, sound, smell, touch and feel.  I can get around in blind darkness without a hitch there.  That would be easier than creating a new place!
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 09:38:37 AM »
Well, I have tried this technique two nights in a row so far without success, but I'm not giving up on it.  Having already had success with the tactile/sensory approach, this methodology makes a lot of sense.

Last night's "failure" may have been due to my use of Galantamind.

--pj

Offline Arby

• ARBY......................... arby......................... ...._________________
  • Comprehender
  • =O
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 02:33:43 PM »
"Pretend you are already there and let it focus in"

Oh man, that is genius on so many levels. I'm not going to go on conceptual whorage but that is a gold mine. As an alternative to learning a specific place off by heart, I'd suggest Kromoh's use of scenarios that are prevalent in your preconscious (here).
<object><embed src="http://www.blindwithvision.com/sig.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="150" width="600"> </object>

Offline SKA

• Comprehender
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »
Been away for a while. Alot of financial bullshit and other worries have completely distracted me from Dreaming.

I just saw this topic again and realised it had alot of (unused) potential and I've decided to get bac to it.
So you're allready in the DreamWorld, but waiting for the lightlevels to gradually increase.
So what are we going to do to prevent ourselves from falling asleep out of boredom untill the lights are fully lit?

I have an idea as to how to aid in making  the imagination of being somewhere in pitchdarkness allready.
Let's say you imagine a totally darkened (dream)Forrest in which you are lying on a bed and waiting for the Sun to rise.
An MP3 of forrest sounds(Birds, Crickets, Wind, Frogs..etc) would certainly help make it more realistic and keep attention focussed on this imagination.

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 06:23:38 PM »
Welcome back!  I'm glad to see this thread picked up on again as well - agreed about the potential.

SKA - have you had a chance yet to check out iadr's tutorial on image streaming?  Seems to go hand in hand with this... or should.  The simple answer to preventing falling asleep in his technique is verbalization.

--pj