Author Topic: New Registrations  (Read 788 times)

Offline Raklet

• Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
New Registrations
« on: April 23, 2008, 09:05:25 AM »
I would like to propose that we become a "member approval" only forum.  An individual cannot join Mortal Mist until they have been approved to join by an administrator.

I would rewrite the user agreement to state that we are a public forum and we welcome all serious and searching dreamers to join us, but in order to keep out the spam trolls we are requiring member approval before allowing them to join.  When they register, a notice is sent in the administrator panel that someone is waiting approval.  Their email address will be provided there.  I say we wait "X" number of hours before responding to them (to eliminate GuerillaMail addresses) and then send them an email asking them about their intentions and why they would like to join MortalMist.  We can develop a standard form that goes out to all potential candidates.  Upon receipt back of an acceptable response, they can be approved to join.

While writing the agreement, we should make it short so they actually read and emphasize why the extra hassle in registering will make it well worth their time.

Just some thoughts I had last night while sleeping, but I'm by no means intent on implementing them.  I want true feedback and open discussion.  If anyone is opposed, please tell me my idea sucks (but you better be prepared to present one of your own) and I certainly won't feel bad about that.

Offline Seeker

• Aegis Emeritus
  • Evaluator
  • Into the Mist!
    • Mortal Mist
Re: New Registrations
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 09:08:21 AM »
Raklet, we think a lot alike.  I thought of that as well while I was tossing last night trying to sleep.  We did have admin approval on DV at one time before Asher took over.  It saved us a WHOLE lot of hassle and kept out banned users trying to recreate duplicate accounts.

I'm in favor of this, but was thinking along the lines of an extra field in the account creation screen that asked them why they wanted to join.
be the change you wish to see in the world
-gandhi

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 09:16:22 AM »
I like this too, Raklet.  Looking into that "member approval" was on my list today - the description isn't exactly descriptive of what it is, is it?

Please - post this idea in the stickied thread in Town Hall.  I think it is our most viable option for an immediate solution that isn't quite so oppressive as our stop-gap.
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:33:45 AM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline Mark

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 01:52:28 PM »
 O_O indeed I think this is a good idea, I came on today to a huge mess of people! and from what I remember of them very few actually kept up with a DJ so I think this is a really good Idea
"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes" Ghandi

"What a man can be, he must be: A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, to be ultimately at peace with himself". Maslow

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 02:01:54 PM »
Yeah.

We've gone to admin-approval for the time being, and there is a thread discussing other options in The Town Hall, Mark.

I doubt the vast majority of those who suddenly appeared at our doorstep will be hanging around long.

--pj

Offline Raklet

• Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 03:49:53 PM »
What do you think of deleting inactive posts after a period of time?  There is an option under admin -> forum maintenance to remove all topics not posted in for X amount of days.  This would serve a twofold purpose.  One it would remove old material that trolls would want to drudge up just to be post-whores or to stir the pot.  Second it would clean out inactive DJs and other garbage that the not-serious have placed up here.  Essentially, it encourages someone to remain active and serious on the forum or they are deleted out of existence.

Offline Raklet

• Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 04:05:14 PM »
I'll just leave my opinions on this whole subject here, because the atmosphere in town hall seems slightly (very slightly) tense and I don't want to contribute to it.  I'm more of a hardliner, and I think that is okay to post my views here, but I don't want to be totally public.

As far as registration goes:

I think it should all be member approval (as I think you agree or at least that is what we are temporarily doing), but the real debate is whether someone should answer a few simple questions or write an essay. 

* Answer a simple question (i.e. why are you here) - spammers and trolls will take a few seconds to provide the answers you are looking for so they can gain access to an audience that they think they can benefit from (whether it is to advertise or just be inflammatory for a laugh).  This option seems to me to be about as useful as no question at all.

* Write something meaningful about their intentions (200 words or so) - spammers and trolls will move to the next target.  It takes too long do this and then wait for approval.  It takes the benefit away from them joining.

* Whether we decide to go with answering a simple question or writing 200 words, it all has to be reviewed by a person.  A computer should not be used to count 200 words and say "ok".  If that were the case, the spammers would just copy and paste 200 words of garbage to meet the requirement.

A totally different approach.  Stop sweating the registration process and trying to get people to self-screen before they join.  Write the user agreement for our benefit and moderator use rather than intending the person to actually read it.  Have a good staff of moderators that will enforce the rules and boot people out that violate them.  Then, when they whine about it, we can tell them too bad, so sad - it is in the rules.  "But I didn't read the rules!"  "Tough, that is your problem, not ours". 

I guess there are two schools of thought on the user agreement.

1.  Responsible people read it and decide whether it is what they want (self screening)
2.  A CYA for us to justify our actions when people violate the rules.

I'm a bit cynical and tend to think that option 2 is probably the more practical and widespread use of user agreements.  Speaking from personal experience, when I want something and I am presented with a user agreement (whether it be software, forums, etc) I DON'T read them.  I find them to be a nuisance, so I just scroll to the bottom, look for the check box, and select "I agree" and hit enter without giving it a second thought.

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 07:10:04 PM »
Plan B is what I just wrote about in the Town Hall.

Thank you for your candor, Raklet.  Much appreciated - and fully understood why you would rather keep it back here now.

Whatever we end up doing, you will probably be right on the bleeding edge of implementing it.

I should go peruse mods for the registration process, eh?  I'll bet there's some doozies out there.

--pj

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 07:29:03 PM »
Is there an easy way to specifically exclude guerrillamail accounts from registering?

**EDIT**

I just waited about 25 minutes with a guerillamail account and the guy verified.

Huh.

--pj

Offline Raklet

• Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 01:42:48 AM »
Explain, you've lost me.

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 05:29:39 AM »
Well, 15 minutes isn't enough to wait for guerrillamail accounts - I know that now.

In other systems, there is an easy way to say, "don't accept these domains as proper email addresses."  Some people exclude hotmail, etc.  We aren't going that far, but clearly an email address that expires in fifteen minutes or a half hour is nothing more than a way to bypass one of the checks of the system.

--pj