Author Topic: Re-coding of the front page.  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Adam

• ?н? ?и?, ?н? ?и???
  • Analyzer
    • My Personal Website
Re: Re-coding of the front page.
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 05:25:25 PM »
Also using w3.org to validate the code, and ran through the mortalmist.com site and it validated okay. Now it is picking up 81 errors, in code which I have not amended.. Strange  :-\
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake

Offline Adam

• ?н? ?и?, ?н? ?и???
  • Analyzer
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 05:31:47 PM »
Multi post lol.

Do we have any more developers here, Sara perhaps? I am running a code validation on w3.org to make sure the XHTML 1.0 Transitional and Encoding is UFT-8

The original site is okay.. I have not amended anything and on further investigation it seems to want me to close the meta tags, but they shouldn't be, unless dreamweaver is adding it's own crappy 'self-help' code to it.

One error as follows:

Line 8, Column 114: end tag for "meta" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified.

.reams, dream interpretation, dreams">

You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".

The original site doesn't end tag the meta tags. I could close end them all but don't want to do this if there is a simple option in dreamweaver to instruct it not to have to.

Offline Aquanina

• Evaluator
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 06:40:18 PM »
Ok...just checking out what you've got so far...I'm not so sure. Basically, I see two competing blocks of text and I have no idea which one I want to read first. They both look like ALOT of text, so I'd probably just skip over it.

So...with that in mind. I definitely think that the Welcome introduction should be on the left. And I think that the featured lucid dream should be on the right, and perhaps contained in a bounding box, possibly with it's own unique colored background and text.

Thoughts?

Offline Aquanina

• Evaluator
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 06:42:06 PM »
Also, the introductory text should either be white, or a light gray. Yeah...light gray for sure.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 06:45:14 PM by Aquanina »

Offline Aquanina

• Evaluator
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 06:44:55 PM »
Also! LOL...sorry for the triple post...I think the introductory text should be wider and the featured lucid dream, within its own box possibly, should be less wide. That way...it doesn't look like the page is split down in two sections. =) I think that's the problem with the '"competing text blocks" ....one should take up like 2/3 of the page and the other 1/3...at least I think. I dunno I'd have to see how it looks. :P

Offline Adam

• ?н? ?и?, ?н? ?и???
  • Analyzer
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 06:50:37 PM »
I completely agree - I dont like the layout at all as it is. I am trying to get the functionality there - and I guess since the drop down solves the language issue, I am just getting the okay for the solution. Cosmetics come last to content and functionality.

So with that in mind I will try figure something out. I would rather they were not side by side anyway to be honest, and the size of the image on the homepage pushes the text down further. I would like to keep the image there, but work it with the text better.

Problem is I am not really one for creativity when it comes to this sort of this, I can code it (sometimes) but the creativity side lacks - I will have a look at some options and see what I come up with, but I agree 100% it doesnl't look good as it is :)

Offline Adam

• ?н? ?и?, ?н? ?и???
  • Analyzer
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 06:51:36 PM »
Also! LOL...sorry for the triple post...I think the introductory text should be wider and the featured lucid dream, within its own box possibly, should be less wide. That way...it doesn't look like the page is split down in two sections. =) I think that's the problem with the '"competing text blocks" ....one should take up like 2/3 of the page and the other 1/3...at least I think. I dunno I'd have to see how it looks. :P

Again I agree - I am going to see what I can do - maybe open this discussion to the forum to see what ideas they could come up with for the homepage layout?

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 08:29:07 PM »
Oh man... that's cool.

I'm loving it.
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 08:42:10 PM »
One TINY issue - if the user selects "select language", it should default to English rather than OBJECT NOT FOUND.

:P

--pj

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 09:05:46 PM »
Couple other things - probably premature... the double-appearance of the web ring stuff is one.

If you aren't aware, you just click on that image to go through transitional xhtml verification.  There are 79 errors there, the first of which is a character incompatibility.  Never seen that one before, but it is likely because we are calling out something other than UTF-8, or else we need to list out the various character sets needed.  Don't know - that one is going to take some research if you don't already know the answer to it.

--pj

Offline Adam

• ?н? ?и?, ?н? ?и???
  • Analyzer
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 08:10:28 AM »

Offline Adam

• ?н? ?и?, ?н? ?и???
  • Analyzer
    • My Personal Website

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 08:38:52 AM »
Yep - that's what we need to do, Adam.  I had intended to convey that at the get-go, but didn't do a very good job.

Yes, please go to UTF-8 for the front page.  Our database is entirely UTF-8, though apparently the SMF templates are not.  There is a conversion for that... we just have to do it.

Sorry, and thank you.

--pj

Offline Adam

• ?н? ?и?, ?н? ?и???
  • Analyzer
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 09:55:15 AM »
Okay no problem.

Will re-write the code in UFT-8 this weekend, validate and issue for preview. Will work on some variations of layout too.

Adam

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 10:04:11 AM »
Excellent.  Thank you so much!

No rush - don't let this become stressful.

--pj