Author Topic: Through a Nocturnal Veil  (Read 3965 times)

Offline Emerald Wolf

• *Slept through the Apocalypse*
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
  • Bittersweet is still Sweet
Through a Nocturnal Veil
« on: June 12, 2011, 01:48:02 PM »
So I've been meaning to post in my dreamjournal here since the start of the year but never got around to it until now and given the fragmentary nature of my previous journal timewise I thought it might be nice to start off with something new (and make better use of the tag feature this time as well).

With that in mind I'll be reserving this first post as a sort of summary or index page to keep track of current dream signs etc (I'll work on that later but if I don't post something now I might never get around to doing so).

Color Coding
-Black: Regular comments
-Blue: Normal dreams and fragments
-Red: Lucid dreams and fragments
-Teal: Comments about the dreams

Tags Used:
-Anxiety : Teeth / hair falling out or anything else that may cause a sense of panic
-Problem Solving : Anything that requires concentrated mental effort
-School : Being at school; attending lectures; meeting old school personae
-War : Anything in which use of force is a prominent feature driving DC behaviour
-Mall : Activities taking place in or near a Shopping Mall
-Nautical : Anything to do with the ocean or desert islands
-Family : Dreams involving family members
-Computer game : Dreams inspired by computer games / being played as a computer game
-Sci-fi : Dream scenarios with futuristic technology or set in space
-Fantasy : Elves, Goblins, Dragons, etc.
-RDC : Dreams with recurring dream characters (outside of family)
-TV people : Dreams involving T.V. personalities
-Objects : Dreams involving the search for or acquisition of intersting items
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:16:49 PM by Emerald Wolf »
Bas: -
Int: MO, CO
Adv: -

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
Re: Through a Nocturnal Veil
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 01:51:08 PM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline Emerald Wolf

• Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 02:09:33 PM »
@Moonbeam: Its not the recall that was the problem, but finding time and the motivation to record the dreams (I blame not being able to get up early enough in the morning which interferes with any schedules I might try to set for myself)

Here's the first dream for the new journal. I feel a bit annoyed with dreams like these where perspective and logic progression don't behave themselves as it makes recording them feel like an awkward process.

Glue and Teeth
I am at home trying to fix a broken pair of scissors with green plastic handles using a stick of semi-solid glue. Finding it difficult to apply the glue to the broken part directly I bite off a small piece but this results in my now having a large mass of the stuff stuck to the back of my teeth. I also notice a warning on the label stating that it is not to be ingested which annoys me as I had assumed it would be non-toxic because of its child-friendly appearance.
I spend a frustrating amount of time scraping the glue from my mouth and throwing it in a conveniantly nearby toilet while trying not to swallow anything. As I am disposing of a glob I notice that some teeth are stuck to it and with a change of perception I realize I have been removing the glue from a dental cast of my teeth (complete with a cast of my skull) which, while looking into the toilet bowl,falls in as well.
In an attempt to retrieve them I pull on the lining of the toilet bowl which is made of material used for bed covers. Doing this only results in the teeth and skull slipping past the U-bend at the back of the bowl and disappearing into the sewer beyond.

Fragment
I am sitting at home trying to solve a mathematical problem involving a binary AND operation on two numbers but keep losing my grasp on how the operation is performed and what the binary representation of the two numbers are. My continued failure pushes me into an aggrevated state of mind [After waking up the answer was a lot easier to calculate (namely 10 AND 3 = 2). Curiously I didn't know if binary operations were defined for anything larger than bits at the time]

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:06:32 PM by Emerald Wolf »

Offline Burned up

• Burning candles at both ends
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 04:45:28 PM »

Fragment
I am sitting at home trying to solve a mathematical problem involving a binary AND operation on two numbers but keep losing my grasp on how the operation is performed and what the binary representation of the two numbers are. My continued failure pushes me into an aggrevated state of mind [After waking up the answer was a lot easier to calculate (namely 10 AND 3 = 2). Curiously I didn't know if binary operations were defined for anything larger than bits at the time]
[/color]

Anyone able to do calculations in dreams is truly gifted.  The rules of mathematics are somewhat fluid, in my experience.
Funny to think that 10 AND 3 = 2.
Bu

Offline Emerald Wolf

• Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 02:38:20 PM »
Anyone able to do calculations in dreams is truly gifted.
Anyone able to reliably do maths more involved than simple arithmetic without using pen and paper in the waking world are gifted as well IMO (on account of having to keep track of all the various steps taken).

So anyway, yesterday had nothing I could recall which I find odd given that I finally put some effort into journaling again but today wasn't too bad.

Fragments
1) I am in an unfamiliar room that is bright and fairly cosy. In it I find a book by Stephan King that is an analysis of a fame similar to checkers. It consists of four dirretent types of pieces: pawns, rooks, queens and dragons (which look similar to knights) which are arranged on alternating squares on the first three rows of each players side (with no apparent order). There is a board with pieces stored inside in the room as well and I set it up for a game.

2) I am in a movie theater with my father when we get up to leave. The movie may have had something to do with the launching of a space shuttle.

3) I am in an unspecified place surrounded by old school peers who are playing some sort of game. I try to find out what the rules and objective are but it doesn't make much sense to me.

4) I take part in a war (using WW2 era technology) in which we storm a section of seaside hotels occupied by Nazis. I feel noticeably vulnerable as I run towards one of the hotels while being shot at by soldiers in the windows above me. Once I make it into the foyeur I am too nervous to continue up the centeral stairwell.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:07:14 PM by Emerald Wolf »

Offline Emerald Wolf

• Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 01:22:11 PM »

Floating Fortress and a House on the Sea
I find myself on a floating structure made up of various woodeen ships. It is ingabited by a gang of piratees who are in the process of staging a mutiny against their previous leader (who would seem to have been the person behind the construction of this patchwork fortress). The mutineers have organized a rowdy party on this moonless night to get the captain drunk, allowing them to dismantle their base and escape in ships rebuilt out of its pieces.
When the morning arrives only the captain and I are left on a single seaworthy remnant of the structure with nothing but open sea and a cloudless sky visible around us in all directions. Seeing no point in staying in this spot I start to row in an arbitrary direction and soon come across a shallow strip of green land rising yp out of the water.
As I scan this new feature I see that it becomes wider and climbs up to a small cliff off to my righthand side (where I am sure there was only more ocean before). On top of the cliff is a mansion or small castle with some bright decorations on its exterior surface. I get an adventurous desire to explore it but wake up at this point.

Offline Emerald Wolf

• Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:29:29 AM »

An Odd Excuse
I am in a car with my mother, parked outside a building inside which is a group of people who are discussing a series of books [I think one of the DCs may have been my nexdoor neighbour]. I am supposed to go in there and ask for one of the books which I need for some reason. This makes me uncomfortable as I have a fear of interacting with people face-to-face and as a result I make up various excuses to avoid having to go in there. My mother insists that my excuses are meaningless and contniues to urge me on. At this point I sneeze and my hands are now covered in a gel-like substance so I point out that I can't possibly go anywhere in this state and thus avoid having to fetch the book.

Fragment
I have a dream about Sheldon from "The Big Bang Theory" reacating in a surprized manner to Todd from "Scrubs" walking into his appartment and using a toilet that is standing in the center of the floor.

Offline Emerald Wolf

• Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 10:57:29 AM »
Forgot to post yesterday's dreams. Also my first lucid in two months (the last one was pretty short too, but every taste of lucidity is worth it)

System Shock
I am playing a fame of System Shock in which my surroundings are a a clausterphobic maze of sci-fi like passages and rooms that continue seemingly without end. At the moment I am not carrying any weapons, which makes me alert and uneasy about running into anything hostile.
Around one of the corners ahead I am spotted by a cyborg drone which starts to head in my general direction. There is a mine lying nearby so I pick it up, activate it, and throw it towards the cyborg. It misses and lands behind the cyborg but fortunatly for me it turns around and heads back, setting off the mine and killing itself.
I go over to the cyborg and am elated to find a pistol of some sort on its corpse but it is a short lived feeling as a hopping turret robot appears down the corridor behind me. I automatically react by firing the pistol at it, emptying the clip in the process. It crumples to the floor but another robot has taken its place so I run away praying that I will find more ammo lying around. Luck is on my side and I find another clip for my weapon, which I use to destroy the robot as it closes in on me.
I now have some time to take in my surroundings without feeling rushed. I notice that I am in a connecting bridge that overlooks a courtyard of sorts, which occupies an area of about three stories in height. Looking down at its ground level I spot a variety of robots (some looking like flying spheres) entering and exiting by the corridors branching off from the larger space. The overall level of activity makes me feel a little worried.

Alien
I am on a spaceship that is being evacuated, running towards its escape pods. I can feel that there are other people (or things) behind me running in the same direction as well. When I reach the escape pods I am confronted by a xenomorph which attacks me. I react quickly to the threat and kill it but sustain a wound to my shoulder in the process. I am relieved to still be alive but reflect that I won't be able to survive any additional hostile encounters.

Hovering over an Island
I am slowly rising up through the air at the top of a hill on a small island. It is located at the southern tip of the island a a path gradually decends along a notheasterly heading. I can not see all the detail of it's northern side and don't notice any vegetation but try to imagine what a topographical map of it would look like.
I suddenly get a strange feeling that I might be looking at someone elese's dreamscape and Mario's name pops into my mind.[This one technically counts as a nautical tag but the surrounding ocean didn't really imprint itself on my mind (I suffer from occasional pedantic tendancies :P)]

Lucid at Old Home
I am at the house where I previously lived, walking past the T.V room with our pet husky at my side. I remember that she is dead IWL and gain lucidity as a result. I notice my mother and younger sister sitting on the couch in the T.V room so I test my control over the dream by pointing at them and saying "Disapper". They disappear and I continue on my way out the front door intent on trying out a bit of flying. I take a small jump into the air but as I start to rise I wake up.

Offline Emerald Wolf

• Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 11:05:42 AM »
An underwhelming turnout for today but some recall is better than none.

Fragment
I am with my elder sister and two other DCs on the trail of a conspiracy. We must drive to an important location and decide to split up into two groups. I join my sister in a car that is at the moment transformed into a stove and I am worried that someone seems to have left it on which risks it overheating.

Offline Emerald Wolf

• Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 01:38:15 PM »
More fragments, but at least my favorite T.V. personalities made an appearance

Fragments
1) I watch as the Mythbusters Adam and Jamie test whether drinking alcohol and then exercising makes you more drunk than just drinking on its own by running a random circuit marked out by a set of poles with one of two coloured lights attached to the top (each Mythbuster having to follow one set of lights).

2) I am brushing my hair and notice that this produces a lot of dandruff, which might explain why my head itches so much.

Offline Emerald Wolf

• Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 03:13:19 PM »
Forgot to post two days in a row... hoping that doesn't become a habit.

Fragment (20 July)
I am with a group of D&D type adventurers in a medieval town discussing a quest with the local baron (who might be evil or corrupt). There is a scene transition and now I am in a level from the game "Blood" armed with sticks of dynamite.

Offline Emerald Wolf

• Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 03:17:47 PM »

Fragments (21 July)

I am dropped off at school by my mother and realize that I have to hand in an assignment today which I have not uet started with. I speculate that I will be able to finish and submit it in time if it is multiple choice but when I look at the questions I see that it is a written assignment on economics and that I don't understand the terminology being used.

I am in an exam hall taking a multiple question test. I am having some trouble filling in the administrative details on the computer mark sheet and am surprised when  the examination overseer tells me that there are only five minutes left of the exam. He seems to be angry that I have not started on teh questions yet but I tell him he has no reason to get upset as I am the one who is failing the test.

I am in a gypsey camp where I find a chest filled with magic items and props for a magic show.

The last dream was a lot more fun than the first two, wish I could recall more details about it.

Offline Emerald Wolf

• Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 03:21:46 PM »

Fragments
1) I find myself in some sort of facility or complex built to cryogenically preserve people (possibly to wait out the fallout of nuclear war). It has the feeling of a self-contained community about it. I run into M at one point.

2) I meet an older woman while on a car trip somewhere with my mother. We are supposed to help the woman in some way. I talk to her a bit and then she gives me a kiss, but it feels cold and emotionless.

Offline Emerald Wolf

• Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 03:01:25 PM »
Dream recall seems to be picking up a bit. Also: zombies!  :content:

Free Police Coffee
I am a policeman looking after a teenaged boy under police protection. We  are sitting in a parked car when the boy tells me something that I must inform my commanding officer about. I get out of the car and do so, although he does not seem pleased with what I tell im. I ask how we should proceed and he replies that he will deal with it and that I should go and get him a cup of coffee.
There is a cafe nearby which I enter that seems to have a self-service coffee-bar that is free for police officers. I am concerned when I find that I do not have my badge with me but as I am in uniform I feel that I can do without it. I look for a clean styrofoam cup but the only ones I can see on the counter are broken or dirty. Some more police officers arrive and I recognize them as people I went to school with. They point out that the clean cups are stored in the cabinet underneath the counter. I open the cabinet and find stacks of clean cups but aslo notice plates of metal which can be attached to the bottem of the cups but their purpose seems unclear.

Thief and Feral Zombies
I am playing a game of Thief that takes place in and around a Hammerite temple. At the time I imagine that it is a level from the original campaign so that the unfamiliar surroundings means that I have discovered a previously unexplored area of the fame (As the dream progresses I lose track of the fact that it is a game though).
While I am still outside the temple I backtrack down the street running alongside it while keeping an eye on potential entry points. While doing this I find it difficult to remain unseen by the people walking by as there are a lot of well lit spaces and everyone seems to walk through all the shadowy sections that I try to hide in.
At some point I become aware of fast moving zombies that roam the streets on hands and feet like dogs. They don't appear to be hostile towards the other DCs but I do get chased by them a few times. Eventually I jump over a wall and end up in a flooded area filled with junk and floating boxes. Swimming over to the crates I start rummaging around to see what they contain.

Offline Emerald Wolf

• Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 02:00:43 PM »

Deus Ex Snooping
I am in a garden courtyard that appears to be divided into at least four sections by walls of hedges. I try to make my way around it in an anticlockwise direction without being spotted by any of the toops that are patrolling the area by have some difficulty whenever Agent Hermann or Agent Navvara pass nearby [These are characters from the game "Deus Ex"] and I have to resort to using my cloaking augmentation to remain unseen (which is a significant drain on my bioelectic reserves).
Eventually I reach the other side of the courtyard where I find a stone building (possibly a mausoleum) at its centre. Entering I find a small room with two long stone slabs, one of which is moved slightly out of place to reveal a staicase underneath it. I quickly push it further out of the way and descend down the stairs before anyone find me in here.
The bottem of the staircase opens out onto a set of corridors that form a square with doors leading off from the outer edges. The corridors are dim and fairly long but also narrow so that sneaking down them still makes me feel a little tense. In the corridor corridor on the opposite side from where I entered I open a wooden door and see a room that looks vaguely like a mixture between a girl's room and a storage room.
In the corner on my left there is a cardboard box containing old CDs and wax cylinders [Which were used for recording before records were invented] that I search through. The CDs look like they belong to my younger sister but I have no idea how they ended up in this room. It occurs to me that I can not safely explore this room and should find a hiding place in case someone show up. I try out a few likely spots but they don't feel good enough for me so I take a quick look down the corridor outside.
It seems that someone was expecting me as I can see a large group of troopers heading my way down the the corridor to my right. I dash off in the other direction certain that someone would have notived me doing so but confident that if I can find a nice dark spot they will not be able to track me down.

Fragment
I am looking into a closet with a few objects on the floor thinking of a neat way to arrange them in the available space. One of the items is a soft plastic penguin that is also an alarm clock that starts a countdown timer if you squeeze its belly. The body lights up like a nightlight when the alarm goes off.