Author Topic: Michael Persinger on No More Secrets.  (Read 4280 times)

Offline IndigoGhost

• ???????~StarMan*
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
  • ???~???????~???
Michael Persinger on No More Secrets.
« on: February 09, 2012, 04:14:13 AM »
It has implication for sharing or influencing dreams, thought it may interest someone.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l6VPpDublg&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

This is the gentleman that is talked about in the above video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHH5PBS2H_I[/youtube]

I found both interesting.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:07:04 AM by IndigoGhost »
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7981/indistarsygoooooooooooo.png
????+ Spirulina +????+?????+????+ Lion' s??+ Probiotic Acidophilus?

Offline DrTechnical

• Lead Tangential Thinker
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
Re: Michael Persinger on No More Secrets.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:47:34 AM »
I'll have to take a look. Persinger is interesting. But I think his research on brain activity and PSI has potentially pidgeon holed his explainations of PSI a bit. I don't think I've seen this one.
"In a fearful stampede to save themselves from the terrifying menace of an original idea, the herd can become a mindless destroyer of the light." - Thomas Campbell

"I just had to get nice last night. My Mind is so free, you wouldn't believe ... you wouldn't believe" - Dave Wyndorf

"I don't understand. How can less be more? That's impossible. More is more." - Yngwie Malmsteen

Offline IndigoGhost

• ???????~StarMan*
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
  • ???~???????~???
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 07:03:52 AM »
I'll have to take a look. Persinger is interesting. But I think his research on brain activity and PSI has potentially pidgeon holed his explainations of PSI a bit. I don't think I've seen this one.

They are both very interesting, I like the way Persinger talks about the magnetic field of earth being able to be used as a transporter for information from one to another at a long distance as this was very similar to my own theory that there was an invisible spiderweb of ether around the earth that connected every human. I like how he talks about "Imagine what happens when your sleeping next to someone" I love that train of thought in how it relates to shared dreams.

Offline DrTechnical

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 08:57:05 PM »
Mostly this reminds me that I need to start playing around with my Shiva some more.
"In a fearful stampede to save themselves from the terrifying menace of an original idea, the herd can become a mindless destroyer of the light." - Thomas Campbell

"I just had to get nice last night. My Mind is so free, you wouldn't believe ... you wouldn't believe" - Dave Wyndorf

"I don't understand. How can less be more? That's impossible. More is more." - Yngwie Malmsteen

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 09:38:07 PM »
For our brains to be communicating magnetically, they'd have to be sending and receiving modulated signals. So, it'd involve transmission of electromagnetic waves. The signal-to-noise level would be vanishingly small, especially for someone far away. There's too much noise produced by natural and artificial sources of EM radiation.
In the secret space of dreams
Where I dreaming lay amazed
When the secrets all are told
And the petals all unfold
When there was no dream of mine
You dreamed of me.
-- from Attics of My Life, by Robert Hunter

Offline Gen

• The Clumsy Ethernaut
  • Applier
  • "Upward, and yet not Northward,"
    • Emerging Paradigms
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 05:29:00 AM »
Wow, that Persinger lecture is really awesome..  These are the two people I have been doing most research on lately, must be a meme going round!

You might like to check this one out too..
Psychic Skills & Miracles - technology used for telepathy and remote viewing
http://vimeo.com/22689418

Offline IndigoGhost

• ???????~StarMan*
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
  • ???~???????~???
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 06:39:59 AM »
These are the two people I have been doing most research on lately, must be a meme going round!

Offline DrTechnical

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 08:33:18 AM »
For our brains to be communicating magnetically, they'd have to be sending and receiving modulated signals. So, it'd involve transmission of electromagnetic waves. The signal-to-noise level would be vanishingly small, especially for someone far away. There's too much noise produced by natural and artificial sources of EM radiation.

I tend to agree. I'm not saying the brain is not involved nor am I saying that modification to the brain cannot induce PSI phenomenon. I just think he's trying to draw an unreasonable correlation.

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 06:39:31 PM »

I tend to agree. I'm not saying the brain is not involved nor am I saying that modification to the brain cannot induce PSI phenomenon. I just think he's trying to draw an unreasonable correlation.

Right. Persinger's lecture seems like a lot of hand waving. He's the researcher who did a lot of work with the "God helmet":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet

This also involves weak magnetism: "These fields are approximately as strong as those generated by a land line telephone handset or an ordinary hair dryer, but far weaker than that of an ordinary fridge magnet." A Swedish group tried to replicate Persinger's God-helmet results, but wasn't able to:

"In December 2004 Nature reported that a group of Swedish researchers led by Pehr Granqvist, a psychologist at Uppsala University in Sweden, had attempted to replicate Persinger's experiments under double-blind conditions, and were not able to reproduce the effect.[8] The study was published in Neuroscience Letters in 2005.[7] Granqvist et al concluded that the presence or absence of the magnetic field had no relationship with any religious or spiritual experience reported by the participants, but was predicted entirely by their suggestibility and personality traits. Persinger, however, takes issue with the Swedish attempts to replicate his work. 'They didn't replicate it, not even close,' he says.[8] He argues that the Swedish group did not expose the subjects to magnetic fields for long enough to produce an effect. Dr. Granqvist, however replied that Dr. Persinger agreed to a 15 minute time period for PET study beforehand.[38] Persinger also stresses that many of his studies were indeed double blinded[39] The Swedish group disagree.[10]"
In the secret space of dreams
Where I dreaming lay amazed
When the secrets all are told
And the petals all unfold
When there was no dream of mine
You dreamed of me.
-- from Attics of My Life, by Robert Hunter

Offline DrTechnical

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Well, on this one I can cooberate Persinger.

I have the Shiva device, which comes with an ability to configure the SW and device to act as a God Helmet. Rather interesting. I didn't see "God" or anything. But when I've used it I did have some interesting hynogogic flashes, and an overall sense of warmth/love etc ... Kinda hard to explain. If someone was not familiar with this type of altered state of consciousness, I can see why they might interpret it as a presence or spiritual experience. I just didn't see it that way.

Offline Gen

• The Clumsy Ethernaut
  • Applier
    • Emerging Paradigms
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 04:46:54 AM »
No God transmission with my Shakti helmet either, but interesting spatial distortion effects and general good feelings during and after use.. So far thankfully, no negative side effects...

According to Persinger only 1% of the participants reported the presence of God during the experiment.  It seems the media sensationalised things a little and gave it the label of God Helmet.. Though I am still hopeful I might have the "God" experience sometime..

Offline IndigoGhost

• ???????~StarMan*
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
  • ???~???????~???
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 06:52:30 AM »
I believe everyone going about the whole "psychic thing" wrong. I believe the true path to spiritual awareness is not getting the brain stimulated in different ways "pineal and otherwise" but in stopping the brain thinking. I have heard so many story's about perfect bliss and nirvana while meditating and closing down all your thoughts and effectively stopping or slowing down your brain. I believe in bliss consciousness, where some how you could use or train with a device that some-what creates interrupt patterns in the brain thus causing it to slow or stop for a brief while. Anyone that has experienced quantum consciousness knows what I'm talking about. You can be a tree or an atom or nothing at all.... all you know is that every second is bliss and you never want to leave, and when you do leave you spend all your time trying to get back. I think that practical use with psychic phenomena could come from slowing down the left brain and speeding up the right brain, or even slowing them both to a point that your still conscious but can go out easy. I think the slower the brain is the less grip on the "Mind/Soul" it has thus your more free to go in and out at whim but less likely to recover "logical" data. There has to be a balance, but i don't think it can ever be done  in a fully conscious way.

I believe that if you built a machine that keeps the brains most important functions working "Breathing/Heartbeat" but stopped all others/slowed them down, you would be a very rich person as many people would rather pay for lifetime subscriptions to the magic box that they can get frozen into while still alive experiencing total bliss every second of their life for the rest of their life. You would think they would get bored, but honestly anyone that's seen it knows that its timeless and you can't get bored, its the best feeling you could imagine always.

I wonder if these machines already exist and we are just not told about them.  :content:

Offline DrTechnical

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 09:53:04 AM »
Well ironically IG, I more or less agree with this.

Now Persinger's concept is not entirely in disagreement with your comment either. If you read up on what the Shiva does, it basically disrupts the 40 Hz binding signal that passes from front to back of the brain.

But back to the original point. What you are referring to is "thoughtless awareness". Yes, that is the state conducive to PSI and a lot of other things. There are various ways to get there.

Offline Gen

• The Clumsy Ethernaut
  • Applier
    • Emerging Paradigms
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 05:37:30 PM »

I believe that if you built a machine that keeps the brains most important functions working "Breathing/Heartbeat" but stopped all others/slowed them down, you would be a very rich person as many people would rather pay for lifetime subscriptions to the magic box that they can get frozen into while still alive experiencing total bliss every second of their life for the rest of their life. You would think they would get bored, but honestly anyone that's seen it knows that its timeless and you can't get bored, its the best feeling you could imagine always.

I wonder if these machines already exist and we are just not told about them.  :content:

I believe this magic box may be called a television...  :chuckle:   ;)

Offline IndigoGhost

• ???????~StarMan*
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
  • ???~???????~???
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 03:14:34 AM »

I believe this magic box may be called a television...  :chuckle:   ;)

I don't watch TV anymore, Its literally a complete waste of time. Its basically nonsense you stare at with auto-ques on reactions it wishes you to perform while your body slowly decays, you grow old and die.