Author Topic: Questions About Achieving Goals Within a LD  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Midnight_Toker36

• Applier
Questions About Achieving Goals Within a LD
« on: December 16, 2012, 01:38:22 AM »
This is something I seem to struggle with. I have achieved a few goals, but most of them are  pretty simple. When I am lucid, I often try to achieve a goal, but fail. For the longest time, I couldn't seem to figure out why. Things like flying, passing through a solid object, teleporting to a specific place are all things I've tried more than once and failed. It is beginning to get frustrating. Finally, I think I may have found my problem. While lucid, I cannot seem to get my mind out of realistic mode. What I mean by that is, when I try to walk through a wall, I'm thinking, 'Well that's not possible'. And so obviously, I don't succeed. It is very hard for me to think, 'Yes I can walk through this wall', even though I know that I'm dreaming. I don't really know how to get my mind into dream mode, where I'm thinking 'I can do anything'. I hope I've explained this effectively, because I'd love any advice or thoughts. If anyone else has, or is, experiencing this, please reply and tell me about it. Also of course, any advice you could offer. On a side note, I've only been lucid dreaming for a little over a year, so this very well could be something that I will achieve with more time and practice. Please reply with any thoughts on the subject!
"Not all who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." -Mark Twain

Offline IndigoGhost

• ???????~StarMan*
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
  • ???~???????~???
Re: Questions About Achieving Goals Within a LD
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 06:34:28 AM »
Don't run, Walk.

Learn to understand how the plane or lucid dream works. Get your basics in order and get familiar with them. Can you walk North, East, South and West? Jumping easy for you? Standing and Sitting may be trouble so practice! How about rotating on the spot? Breathing, Seeing, Hearing, Feeling, you need your tactile senses. Make your goal to get used to these basics of movement and tactility as it will benefit you much later down the line. Getting familiar with how you feel and act and react in dreams will go a long way to building your stability and control of your dreams. Wake up when you try to fly? get frustrated by falling? Why do you think? Its because your trying to run before you walk.

Set simple goals, and master them one after another and then move onto the bigger things. Mental control and being able to discipline yourself will go a long way in becoming a good lucid dreamer. Most importantly? Just relax and enjoy the feeling of being in non physical reality with not too much effort or straining to achieve. ;)
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7981/indistarsygoooooooooooo.png
????+ Spirulina +????+?????+????+ Lion' s??+ Probiotic Acidophilus?

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 09:17:41 AM »
Hello there!

The time when I was achieving pretty much everything I set my mind to was when a group of us were in a friendly competition to achieve goals.  That was the inspiration to our efforts to do the same here.  All that currently remains is the meeting place, which changes every couple months.

My suggestion then would be to get together a group of lucid dreamers (here or wherever,) set a couple of goals and then "compete" to see who can get it done.  Then change the goals!  For prizes, you can use gold ingots, jewels, fine automobiles, mansions. . . in dreamspace, of course.
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline Midnight_Toker36

• Applier
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 11:20:48 AM »
Thank you both very much! I will try both of your ideas, and hopefully I'll find some success. :)

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 08:54:59 PM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline DrTechnical

• Lead Tangential Thinker
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 09:15:50 AM »
Maddy, I have a few thoughts that might help.

Let's take this by example. Walking through walls. I think the main thing you have to realize here is that it might take several iterations to get this right. The first thing you need to do is believe it's possible of course. But that only get you 50% of the way there.

Next time you are lucid, walk up to a wall and place your hands on it. Don't try to go through the wall. That might be asking for too much too soon. Instead, place your hands on it and expect the unexpected. Just see what your dream has to offer here. Maybe the wall will soften a little? Maybe it will vibrate? I don't know. But I bet your SC does.

Then the next time, use what you learned in the previous dream to take it a step further. Then further. Then further. Next thing you know, you might well be succeeding at will?

I have purposely not defined the how or what of it here. That is because you need to fill in the blanks and you need to discover what works for you.
"In a fearful stampede to save themselves from the terrifying menace of an original idea, the herd can become a mindless destroyer of the light." - Thomas Campbell

"I just had to get nice last night. My Mind is so free, you wouldn't believe ... you wouldn't believe" - Dave Wyndorf

"I don't understand. How can less be more? That's impossible. More is more." - Yngwie Malmsteen

Offline Midnight_Toker36

• Applier
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »
Maddy, I have a few thoughts that might help.

Let's take this by example. Walking through walls. I think the main thing you have to realize here is that it might take several iterations to get this right. The first thing you need to do is believe it's possible of course. But that only get you 50% of the way there.

Next time you are lucid, walk up to a wall and place your hands on it. Don't try to go through the wall. That might be asking for too much too soon. Instead, place your hands on it and expect the unexpected. Just see what your dream has to offer here. Maybe the wall will soften a little? Maybe it will vibrate? I don't know. But I bet your SC does.

Then the next time, use what you learned in the previous dream to take it a step further. Then further. Then further. Next thing you know, you might well be succeeding at will?

I have purposely not defined the how or what of it here. That is because you need to fill in the blanks and you need to discover what works for you.

This combined with what IdigoGhost said, I think will do the trick. I want to take my next lucid really slow. Just testing my environment, instead of expecting great things to just happen. I want to get more comfortable and familiar with the feeling of a dream.

Offline Tsunami

• Lucid Dreamer
  • Analyzer
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 12:41:58 PM »
This is something I seem to struggle with. I have achieved a few goals, but most of them are  pretty simple. When I am lucid, I often try to achieve a goal, but fail. For the longest time, I couldn't seem to figure out why. Things like flying, passing through a solid object, teleporting to a specific place are all things I've tried more than once and failed. It is beginning to get frustrating. Finally, I think I may have found my problem. While lucid, I cannot seem to get my mind out of realistic mode. What I mean by that is, when I try to walk through a wall, I'm thinking, 'Well that's not possible'. And so obviously, I don't succeed. It is very hard for me to think, 'Yes I can walk through this wall', even though I know that I'm dreaming. I don't really know how to get my mind into dream mode, where I'm thinking 'I can do anything'. I hope I've explained this effectively, because I'd love any advice or thoughts. If anyone else has, or is, experiencing this, please reply and tell me about it. Also of course, any advice you could offer. On a side note, I've only been lucid dreaming for a little over a year, so this very well could be something that I will achieve with more time and practice. Please reply with any thoughts on the subject!

I've always found it is much easier to approach controlling the dream passively rather than trying to force the dream to work in a certain way, which often only causes the dream to become unstable if not done correctly. You have to change your core expectations. Think of a reason why you should be able to fly/walk through a wall (whatever its all the same really), perhaps a  pill you could swallow makes you phase through matter, or the ground is radioactive, and that causes you to fly. Whatever works for changing your expectations, but it is important that these are done passively.

This also applies for the lucid dream as a whole, it is the reason why reality checking in dreams works, because you expect it to work. The reason why people often think that flying is difficult, is because of these beliefs. Getting excited caused your dream to become unstable? Only because you believe in that. Master your expectations, and you master dream control.
- Tsunami -