Author Topic: 04 Dream Recall  (Read 7460 times)

Offline halloweenfirecracker

• Comprehender
  • Are you dreaming right now?
Re: 04 Dream Recall
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 04:03:17 PM »
After 4 or 5 hours of sleep, I wake up frequently with strong dream recall. I think persistent journaling over time has made this an unconscious habit. I have the intention and expectation to recall my dreams during the night and in the morning.

I use a digital recorder. The advantage over writing with a pen and paper is two-fold. First, I tend not to recognize my own scribbles the next morning if I write my dreams on paper.  Second, I find there are little excuses not to record my dreams. When I used to write my dreams down, I failed often to grab the pen and journal, turn on a flashlight and begin writing, out of laziness. With the digital recorder, it's easy to record dreams, just press record and talk.

There is also no rewinding and searching for the dream as on an analogue tape recorder; the digital recorder automatically numbers each recording, and playback and deletion is a breeze. I play the recordings back the next morning and log them into a journal program on my computer.

Don
 8)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 06:31:02 PM by halloweenfirecracker »

Offline Xox

• momento
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
    • DevArt
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 05:12:52 PM »
My recall is actually good, most unfortunately I don't get the chance to write down my dreams. I wake up and hurry to get to school work, etc etc. As the day goes on, I forget the dream.

Putting on an alarm clock 4-5 hrs. into sleep and writing down my dreams then helps my recall. I can't do this during school days because it disrupts my sleep.

Sleeping for a good 7-8 hr.s helps my recall, although my most vivid dreams are remembered during naps.
And all my days are trances, And all my nightly dreams, Are where thy dark eye glances, And where thy footstep gleams -- In what ethereal dances, By what eternal streams.

http://aquaryss.deviantart.com/

Offline Lucidbulbs

• Cafe Queen
  • Evaluator
  • Mmmm Lattes~
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 05:40:03 PM »
Before stress and high school, I never used anything for recall [it was amazing how I could remember two dreams a night consistently that way]. But, since my recall has never been as lovely as then thanks to the said issues, I usually use two methods:

1) Notes on a Post It Note: usually central ideas or concepts, or key elements of the dream.

2) Memorize key parts of the dream or parts that could easily be triggered by other words floating in my mind as the day goes on (so if I forget it, usually I can recall it while doing chores).

3) Write it all down when I wake up (exclusively on weekends).

4) Telling a friend my dream early in the morning (school days exclusively) I find it to easier to remember a dream you've verbally talked about rather than not. Especially if your notes turn out illegible from groggy-minded handwriting.
Back from the dead...let's hope I'll stick to it.

DILD: 2
MILD:1
WILD:

Offline heavensent83

• NooB
  • Comprehender
  • Always dreamin...
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 08:25:36 PM »
I usually remember all of my LDs because they feel real.

But if the details are fuzzy, I'll try to remember how I felt when I woke up and trace back my steps from there.

For example, if I felt angry... I think what would make me angry currently (usually my dreams are tied to my emotions) and I would make a mental list, usually this jogs my memory.

Since I'm new at this I never consciously tried to remember my dreams on a usual basis.   :-\

The weird dreams/scary/surreal stay in my memory.
*Christina*

Offline Burns

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Aegis Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 08:31:59 PM »
I almost always remember my dreams upon awakening, but find that the memory of the dream very quickly fades away.  Usually by the time I am dressed and have made my way to the kitchen, the dream is only a dim memory. 

Writing a few hints in a notebook immediately upon awakening gives me the hints I need to recall the dream as I enter it into my journal.  I keep a small notebook next to the toilet along with a small flashlight and pen, upon awakening I go there to make notes.  As early as possible in the day, I review my notes and try to recreate as much of the dream as I can in my journal.
This describes me to a T - except instead of a notepad and pen by the toilet, I keep it by my side of the bed. If I don't jot down notes ASAP after waking up, the dream is completely gone and I'll only remember fragments of it again the next night when I get back into bed - I don't know if it's the smell of my bed, or the position I'm laying in or what, but I can only recall snippets, not the whole dream. But if I jot down keywords and notes right away after waking, I can usually recall the dream in its entirety to put it in my DJ.

Offline unseen wombat

• Evaluator
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 08:46:58 PM »
Sometimes I don't think I remember anything upon waking. Then when I get up to go to the bathroom, some detail will spontaneously come back to me and then the rest will all flood in. Sometimes too, I wake up and remember only a couple disjointed fragments, then if I write them down and wake myself up a little bit, the act of waking up will cause the rest of the dream to flood back in as well.

I think the key is to wake myself up and write it down, even if I want to just fall back asleep. Even when I lay there and consciously think, "I'll just remember it," if I don't write down some key points, I will assuredly forget it.

I also have a tiny LED flashlight and a notepad in a drawer by my bed. The light is too bright for my night-adjusted eyes, so I hold the front of it against my palm and tilt it just enough that a sliver of light falls on the paper. I've tried to write in the dark with my eyes closed, but I often end up writing over top of what I already wrote and it's illegible later.
Lucid tasks completed:
BAS: HA FL GG SO
INT: CP MF
ADV: OS VS TT DL LO

Offline StephenT

• Analyzer
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 08:53:56 PM »
Waking up in the middle of the night always produces some good recall for me, and it usually can be remembered after going back to sleep if I woke up enough.  If I think about recall once I wake up, I can also recall a lot of dreams.  DJing is great. :D

Waking up from a loud alarm, though, is usually bad for recall.

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 09:18:17 PM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline Oneironaught

• with a "gh"
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
  • twitterpated +10
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 10:10:36 PM »
Like just about everyone else, I keep a folder and paper next to my pillow, along with a small LED flashlight and a pen. Back when I was serious and had time, I made a detailed record of my dreams either when I woke from them or when I awoke in the morning (or WBTB). Then life got more busy and hectic, sleep time got lessened and daytime attention got derailed.

So my journaling went down the tubes. And - as would be of no surprise to anyone here - as result my recall dropped through the floor. I began trying to get into it again about 6 weeks ago now and have already noticed a vast improvement. Though I'm still having trouble keeping up with the journal because of time constraints (and these darned eye allergies for the past week, and ongoing). But at least I'm making a good effort again and seeing results.

Anyway, I keep the paper in my bed and I jot down notes in the middle of the night. Then later I can flesh them out as long as I've made them clear enough to be interpreted and they jog my memory sufficiently. Working both forward and backwards from the key points I do recall helps bring back the missing parts when needed.

If I recall a particularly interesting dream or lucid segment then I'll usually try to write it out as completely as possible before moving around too much.

I also find, like others, that the alarm clock is jarring and often has the nasty habit of focusing my attention away from the dream I just woke from and instantly pushing the "dump recall" button.. On weekends I say screw the alarm clock and allow myself to get some much needed sleep and dream time, without any merciless interference (except possibly if doing WBTB).
Life is wonderful

Offline analyst

• Evaluator
  • -- The Choice --
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 10:51:16 PM »
for me, recall is all about intent followed by action.  the following are ways i have had better success rates:

• lead an interesting waking life.  for me, nothing can kill recall more than just having the "same ol' dreams".  it is hard to remember details or even instances of a dream of a "typical day".  i have more varied (and hence more clear recall) dreams when i have inspiration from waking life and life outside my norm. 
  • think about dreaming often during previous day / reading about new techniques, etc. 
  • go to sleep by 10:30 (well rested). 
  • always keep a pen and paper nearby. 
  • when awaking spontaneously, do not go right back to sleep... just think about what just happened to you, and if some thought hits you, jot it down right away. 
  • always RC right before jotting.  i can't tell you how many times i have FA'd into a false jot.  you finally awake and have nothing written, although you swear you wrote it down! 
  • don't wake up too fast! 
  • if all else fails, once starting your day, perform free-association with random words.  i seem to have better success rates with free-association than forcing it with an active search.
Matrix -- Potentiator -- Significator

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 08:31:24 AM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline Emerald Wolf

• *Slept through the Apocalypse*
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
  • Bittersweet is still Sweet
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2008, 09:01:56 AM »
I'm currently of the belief that my recall is dependant on the state of mind I'm in while dreaming. So when I have a headache or stuffy nose (before going to sleep or upon waking up the next day) I will hardly be able to remember anything except fragments or the impression that I had some sort of dream that I can't put my proverbial finger on. To improve recall I'd imagine that going to bed in a good mood is important as well as feeling as physically comfortable as possible (not to hot, not to cold, not feeling itchy etc...).

When I wake up during the night or in the morning I go through a mental checklist of all the dreams I can remember and try to create a mindmap of them, using a keyword to label each separate dream (something that sums it up or uses a highlight from the dream) and futher breaking up individual dreams into scenes or a series of significant events (kind of like a storyboard), in the hopes that the smaller details will fill themselves in later on or be easy enough to interpolate. I don't write anything down during the night or first thing in the morning because I prefer to have my eyes adjust to natural light levels as the sun rises and avoid electrical lighting before then. Ideally the sooner the dreams are recorded the better, although sometimes I ownly get around to writing them down by evening. When this is the case I try to do a quick runthrough of the more interesting dreams a couple of times during the day.
Bas: -
Int: MO, CO
Adv: -

Offline Soldier

• Comprehender
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2008, 11:33:59 AM »
I increase my recall rate by repeating in bed "I will remember my dreams, I will remember my dreams" over and over agian until I fall asleep. most of the time I can recall about 2 or 3. this is really my only method I use.

Offline Avalon-and-on

• Analyzer
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2008, 01:00:59 PM »
I am starting to leave my dj open here on mm and the reply section already open with cursor blinking. My computer is directly next to my bed so I can immediately start typing if I have time. If not, I close my eyes and try to remember all of the important points before I forget them. I go over them in my head a few times to solidify the memory - and come back later to enter them. 

I read a very analytical breakdown of why we dont remember our dreams well and I need to find it again. It has to do with the different mental states, their qualities and what type of faculties are available within them respectively. Basically, we have difficulty remembering our dreams because the mental state is one that mostly only turns on when we are sleeping. As soon as consciousness hits us, the state and its memories immediately begin to disintegrate proportionately.  It has something to do with memory storage and the difference between short term memory and long term memory. I will try to find this because I think it will extremely useful info for this.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 01:04:46 PM by Avalon-and-on »

Offline DuB

• Analyzer
  • You know I know when it's a dream
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2008, 03:49:24 PM »
When I wake up in the morning I always spend a few minutes recalling my dreams from the night before. It's important that I do this first thing or else the memories will disappear within half an hour or so. As for the actual recall process, the strategy that works best for me is to remember my dreams in reverse. I start with the freshest, most salient dream memory that I have and work backwards from there. The farther back that I go, the hazier and more fragmented things get. With enough mental probing I'm usually able to connect the dots reasonably well and determine where one dream ends and another begins, but I'll usually end up with a fragment or two from the earlier dreams in the night. If I recall any lucid dreams, I'll record them in my dream journal. The non-lucid ones I let fade away. After taking the time to mentally flesh out my dreams, the memories will usually last anywhere from a few hours to two weeks, depending on how novel they are - however, I ultimately forget 99% of them.
Lucid tasks completed
Basic: HA, LC, FL, SO, GG, CL, LM
Intermediate: WA, CO, TK, BI, TP, EF, DC, JA, BO
Advanced: MU, ST