Author Topic: Time dilation in Lucid and Non-Lucid dreams.  (Read 13915 times)

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
Re: Time dilation in Lucid and Non-Lucid dreams.
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 10:58:50 AM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline bluebird

• Is this the real life?
  • Evaluator
  • Dream Initiated Lucid Dream
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 11:21:43 AM »
So bb, you think that me, pj, and mu are lying about having dreams that feel like they last for months?

I didn't know any of you had, the only person I knew had had dreams like these was Hukif and the IWL friend I mentioned, although I didn't think Hukif was lying either (I believe the friend wasn't lying, but I don't know how much he knows about dreams, I'm sure he's a credible example though).

I'm really pleased to hear more people have experienced some in their lifetimes, this is what I was hoping to get out of this thread. Were you lucid in any/all of them?

So this raises new questions, how do we do it  :seeker:
Current Challenges:
-Garden of Eden
-Meditate in a LD
-more

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 11:33:41 AM »

Offline bluebird

• Is this the real life?
  • Evaluator
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 11:55:16 AM »
I've heard great things about Calea Z, going to try it in the New Year. I did read an old thread in here about it, where you said it was very hit or very miss. I wonder if that is the same case for everyone or just some people. I guess I can try it and find out, it doesn't seem to be an extremely popular supplement with the users on here so I'm sure it's not the "be all and end all" of supps
Current Challenges:
-Garden of Eden
-Meditate in a LD
-more

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 12:00:44 PM »

Offline howitzer

• jATION the ©REATION
  • Evaluator
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 12:52:03 PM »
I have experienced dreams that have been perceived during the dream to have lasted weeks possibly months. However I've never been in the dream questioning the amount of time passed? In other words, I was not lucid.

Has anyone experienced a LUCID dream with that much time seeming to pass?

So BB, During the dreams I've experienced I have never felt (stuck) in a dream for that long. It is just part of the dream dialog that makes the experience seem to have lasted for ages.
Example: I've almost gone through an entire career in one dream with many many minuscule details that were presumed in the dream. So days and months have passed but the duration of time in the dream was not as detailed and lengthy as a month in RL.
Does that make any sense?

I can't speak for the others.

I'll see it when I believe it.

Offline bluebird

• Is this the real life?
  • Evaluator
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 12:55:07 PM »
Example: I've almost gone through an entire career in one dream with many many minuscule details that were presumed in the dream. So days and months have passed but the duration of time in the dream was not as detailed and lengthy as a month in RL.

This makes perfect sense. Although there are probably multiple skips in the dream where mundane parts of each day probably didn't happen, or time would pass faster than a normal day, if you still felt like the dream lasted more than 8 hours to you, then you experienced time dilation. So this is a very good example. You don't need to be lucid or questioning the length of time as it happens, in my opinion.
Current Challenges:
-Garden of Eden
-Meditate in a LD
-more

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 11:40:51 PM »

Offline greg lousy

• _--<<<::((*** & ***))::>>>--_
  • Evaluator
  • happy perpetual birthday
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 05:54:26 AM »
Lol Greg just because you can't write every single detail of what feels like months of time doesn't mean it didn't happen.  I couldn't journal in detail the last few months of my waking life, could you?

This is where we were on the last thread too.  The answer is no, but if I tried I could probably get 5 to 10 pages at least out of, say, the last week, and my memory is about average, and this last week routine.  And even without the details, there'd be other qualities to the journal that could suggest the experience of a long time passing. This is exactly the kind of discussion point that would be a lot more productive if we had an actual journal entry of any kind to discuss! AAAAAAARRGGGGHH.

(I first requested examples early in the other thread)

Give me the non detailed account, tell me something of what the hell happened.  Tell me if you slept or not in the dream.  Tell me if you started to feel crazy, exhausted.  tell me if you were lucid. Tell me if it felt like weeks in the dream or when you woke up. TELL ME SOMETHING ABOUT THE ACTUAL THING WE"RE ALL TALKING ABOUT.  (am I crazy?)

I wish I thought you were lying, that would be easier.  I find you and PJ to be among the most believable people here, and that's what I'm finding maddening!  How does something like this just get shuffled away among the rest of your every day dreams?   I've had three times where I've been lucid for what I think is entire dream cycle - 2-3 hours. I felt each lasted.... about 2 - 3 hours (intense hours, yes) To this day I could tell you quite a bit about each one  because they were profound experiences!  

I feel like I'm in a room with a few other people and some of them are talking about the little aliens they have in their pockets, but when I ask to see one they say, "no, but lets keep talking about our aliens".  

I'm not just saying all this.  I actually am starting to feel crazy.  Maybe I'm being too self referential, and others just don't respond to a month long dream like I would.

But then another part of me thinks back to sixth grade English class, when I was taught to support each statement with three examples, and I feel reassured.  I can hear Mrs. Skeals now saying.  "no, your right greg, this thread is frustrating"        

help us out MB, your the only one here with an example. I know your journal is huge.  I actually just tried using the search function to find your dream and I can tell you that you did not mention "calea z" in the entry.  if you tell me about when this was, I will help you look.  If you have a better memory of about when PJ or Mu had their dreams, I'll look there.

I have an idea that may help clear some of this up, but for now I'm too frustrated. and can only find release through the negative use of smileys
 :doh: :banghead: :mad: :gaah:   :angry1: :banghead: :doh: :gaah: :gaah: :doh: :banghead: :morecry: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
 :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:00:14 AM by greg lousy »
........ and I cannot find my way back to the sea, but the saltiest sea knows its own way to me    -   Joanna Newsome

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 08:11:54 AM »

Offline MariaIsabelPita

• Comprehender
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 12:54:22 PM »

Offline bluebird

• Is this the real life?
  • Evaluator
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 01:55:36 PM »
Greg, I can see you're getting a bit frustrated by the lack of details about these events, so have a read through some of the feedback I got from other people. I made 2 threads on Reddit about this also hoping to learn about some more experiences, and some of them gave a lot of information about what was going on:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Dreams/comments/1tgpwa/time_dilation_in_dreams_dreaming_for/

http://www.reddit.com/r/LucidDreaming/comments/1tgrpb/time_dilation_in_dreams_dreaming_for/

Unfortunately I got of bad responses which were just arguing with me about the possibility or impossibility of this phenomena, but if you can ignore them and just read the users reports then you might find answers to some of your questions.

As Moonbeam wrote in her reply to you, you have to understand that there are some experiences which you just have to go through yourself to truly understand them, so I don't think we can fully appreciate what these dreams are like until we have them as well, but maybe it will help to read this.
Current Challenges:
-Garden of Eden
-Meditate in a LD
-more

Offline greg lousy

• Evaluator
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 04:38:57 PM »
Thanks guys,  the actual dream content in the last few posts is the kind of thing I felt was lacking. - at least the alien is sticking his hand out.

..... and Blue actually went off mining the internet!  -   :3s:   - three star maneuver!

If I'd known these kind of results would come, I'd have snapped much sooner!

I was so wound up that before going to bed that I laughed, thinking "well now I've probably incubated a lifetime long freakin dream for tonight"

I've definitely got something to add to this, but it may take some time and I've got stuff to do today.

- just wanted to say thanks, especially to MB, because if you had responded without getting into the content of your dream, my head just may have exploded.   :1s: I've got the other four stars on hand in case you find that dream.   ;)
........ and I cannot find my way back to the sea, but the saltiest sea knows its own way to me    -   Joanna Newsome

Offline bluebird

• Is this the real life?
  • Evaluator
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 04:46:03 PM »
I hope you're not wound up any more :) but if you are... :meditate:

Now let us all learn how to follow in MB's footsteps and experience this, I'm with you greg it sounds so mindblowing it's something I immediately am interested in experiencing (and probably wouldn't shut up about for quite a while after)
Current Challenges:
-Garden of Eden
-Meditate in a LD
-more

Offline greg lousy

• Evaluator
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2013, 07:23:28 PM »
Here's a question for Moonbeam and Maria, (and Hukif, PJ, and Mu if they perchance stop by)

lets say, you are the dreamer in LaBerge's 10 second experiment.  Your sleeping in his lab. You find yourself in a month long time dilated lucid dream. Once your well into it, say a week, you remember that LaBerge is waiting for you to measure out what feels like 10 seconds, and signal the beginning and end time to him with prearranged eye movements.  So you do it the best you can. What would you think the result would be?  Do you think it'd be close to about .04 seconds, which is about how the math works out if you were experiencing a month in 3 hours - about one dream cycle? (ignoring the problem that it'd be impossible to send clear eye signals in that short time span)

I know I'm asking for speculative guesswork here, but humor me.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:30:21 PM by greg lousy »