Author Topic: Speedy induction of the hypnogogic state  (Read 6467 times)

Offline Kastro187420

• The Tao of Kastro
  • Applier
    • Myspace
Re: Speedy induction of the hypnogogic state
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 01:03:11 PM »
Hmm... I did this last night on accident after I woke up around 4:00 AM. I was laying there trying to relax my whole body, and during the time, I let my thoughts wander, and eventually a scene started playing out, and I fell asleep, but was just barely conscious enough to realize what was happening. I could see the HI starting, and was hearing some high-pitched scream (first time hearing Auditory noises during WILD), and was having some weird vibrations going... but a Train just had to go by, and blare its horn, and threw me out of the state :(

Offline Hazel

• Evaluator
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 07:23:38 AM »
I do this as well, if I ever have trouble sleeping. But mine are more like daydreams. For instance, I'll picture myself in medival times, swordfighting in a large battle.
Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep? To the very toes he is terrified, Because the ground gives the way under him, And the dream begins... - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Komikubo45

• Comprehender
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 06:39:05 AM »
Never heard of this technique before. But sounds promissing. I think Ill try it on the weekend! ;)

Offline Caradon

• Evaluator
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2020, 10:47:01 AM »
I randomly came across this thread.

Interesting.

For me if I try to relax as best I can, paying attention to the eyelid muscles too because you can be clenching your eyes and not even realize you're doing it. And if I'm able to stop myself from having verbal thoughts. For me with no verbal thought will cause the HI to come on very quickly. And I can usually concentrate on listening for audio HI or, focus more on watching for visuals first. Most of the time I like to listen for the audio because the random sounds music and voices fascinate me.

As with the OP I used to frequently have very bad insomnia and had to figure out techniques to get to sleep. And eventually had to resort VILDing much as the OP suggests.
And as PJ mentioned an activity such as swimming, I imagine the movements of the motion of the arms worked brilliantly.   

When being unable to keep my thoughts clear. As I've mentioned in the past in my journals I began visualizing drawing numbers, rather than just counting as popular belief that counting can draw a person into sleep. For me that sort of worked but I found that my thoughts could still wander too much while counting. That's when I came up with the idea to visually draw the numbers instead. And that worked wonders. I did it two different ways. I would visualize myself standing in front of a chalk board drawing the numbers on the board with chalk. Or what I liked even better was visualizing sitting at a table with a big black maker and a book of blank pages of paper. I would visualize drawing one big number on each page, then ripping out the page crumpling it and throwing it and drawing the next number. Or, just drawing the number and turning to the next page.

Before I started doing this I had never heard of VILDing before. I was only doing this as a desperate means of making myself fall asleep. And watching the motion of my hand drawing the numbers, just something about the motion of it I think, would suck me into sleep pretty quickly. To my surprise, one night I was doing this and discovered I was no longer just visualizing what I was doing but actually sitting there drawing numbers in a dream fully aware.

I still prefer the silent mind technique , as I enjoy and fascinated by the random stuff that happens. But sometimes stopping the mind from rambling on and on is impossible , and having something more to focus on can work wonders. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 10:53:42 AM by Caradon »