Author Topic: Thoughts on the dream counter.  (Read 1756 times)

Offline AspirationRealized

• Aspirant Oneironaut
  • Chat Moderator
  • Evaluator
  • The Cat's Pajamas
Thoughts on the dream counter.
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:13:18 PM »
Like I explained in chat earlier to Raklet, I'm an ideas sorta guy, the bane of the people who actually make ideas possible. Or the godsend of those people, depending on how you look at it...

No, no, no. Thats way over exagerrated. Here are some humble ideas for the dream counter, which I think we can all agree was pure awesome.

First is an idea Raklet is already working toward implementing, which is having a link that you can easily look up all of your dreams of a certain category (and perhaps the dreams of others?).

Another one I had was implementing the dream challenges somehow. Perhaps not in the same way as the counters, I was thinking more of very small icons that could appear in the person's signature should they want it (or near the avatar or whatever... you forums guys know what's best >.>). A picture of a foot ontop of water for Water Walking, etc, maybe with Nina's special taste in graphics? People already use the abbreviations as is (and the abbreviations could be either in the icon's image or seen when the mouse is over it) in their sigs, so I think those doing the challenges would love this addition.

Another thing that could perhaps use this system, perhaps not (I can see a few complications with just a minute of looking, so this may be impossible... but these are thoughts, unrestricted!) is a "Random dream" button somewhere maybe on the front page or the home board. This would go to any (public dream) and pull it up. These could be set to just lucids, normal dreams, etc. I love the featured dream thing Mark is doing, and I'm not trying to step on his toes, but random buttons on different sites are very addictive. Try clicking random article on Wikipedia sometime.

Dunno if anyone else'll like these ideas, and I looked for a post specifically about the dream counter... if this being a whole topic bothers you please move it by all means where it belongs.
Drow, drow, drow your canoe
 The stream provides flotation
 Hysterically, hysterically, hysterically, hysterically
 Existence is hallucination

...have you ever met anyone who actually changed?

Offline Clairity

• I'll See You In my Dreams...
  • Aegis Emeritus
  • Evaluator
Re: Thoughts on the dream counter.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 11:29:56 PM »
Another one I had was implementing the dream challenges somehow. Perhaps not in the same way as the counters, I was thinking more of very small icons that could appear in the person's signature should they want it (or near the avatar or whatever... you forums guys know what's best >.>). A picture of a foot ontop of water for Water Walking, etc, maybe with Nina's special taste in graphics? People already use the abbreviations as is (and the abbreviations could be either in the icon's image or seen when the mouse is over it) in their sigs, so I think those doing the challenges would love this addition.

Another thing that could perhaps use this system, perhaps not (I can see a few complications with just a minute of looking, so this may be impossible... but these are thoughts, unrestricted!) is a "Random dream" button somewhere maybe on the front page or the home board. This would go to any (public dream) and pull it up. These could be set to just lucids, normal dreams, etc. I love the featured dream thing Mark is doing, and I'm not trying to step on his toes, but random buttons on different sites are very addictive. Try clicking random article on Wikipedia sometime.

I love the dream counter feature.. thank you Raklet!

Aspir, I like your idea about the dream challenges having an icon.. but I think your idea about having a "Random dream" button is fantastic!  I know I would definately click it as it would give me an opportunity to see dreams that I know I would otherwise not have seen!  ;)
Challenges completed:

Basic: HA, FL, SO, LM, LC
Intermediate: WW, CO, CP, MO, TK, MF, WA, EF, IA, DC
Advanced: TE, OS, GC, DL, LO, HP

• Aspirant Oneironaut
  • Chat Moderator
  • Evaluator
  • The Cat's Pajamas
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 07:44:39 AM »
Thanks Clair ^_^

Offline Adam

• ?н? ?и?, ?н? ?и???
  • Analyzer
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 10:47:12 AM »
The stats seem to have changed form this morning for me at least.

I like the counter, but could it be implemented in a way which fits with the forum? Just I am a little anal with thing like this so maybe header the 'Community Dreams' but a little better and create a table? Looks rather random where it is now.

Other than that looking great, and love the idea :)
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake

Offline Raklet

• Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 01:55:45 PM »

I like the counter, but could it be implemented in a way which fits with the forum? Just I am a little anal with thing like this so maybe header the 'Community Dreams' but a little better and create a table? Looks rather random where it is now.

I'm not a designer - just a programmer with enough knowledge of html to display my data.  That is why your help is valuable and necessary.  You have the taste and the talent to make things aesthetically pleasing.  Please, build me a mock-up of the data with complete html and I will put it into the mod.

Offline Mark

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 04:22:19 PM »
loving the dream counter mate, brilliant stuff :)

its nice to have a idea of how lucid figures compare to normal dreams too, very useful  :bowdown:
"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes" Ghandi

"What a man can be, he must be: A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, to be ultimately at peace with himself". Maslow

Offline Raklet

• Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 01:58:10 PM »
Random Dream chooser implemented.

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 02:52:59 PM »
And it is an absolutely brilliant addition to an already brilliant system.

Man, is this cool.
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline Mark

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 02:54:30 PM »
indeed it is lol I have just been having some fun with this little future...another brilliant idea  :D
"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes" Ghandi

"What a man can be, he must be: A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, to be ultimately at peace with himself". Maslow

• Aspirant Oneironaut
  • Chat Moderator
  • Evaluator
  • The Cat's Pajamas
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 06:59:25 PM »
Random Dream chooser implemented.

Thanks very much.

I am VERY happy that you took my idea and made it a reality. But because none of these ideas were accepted, it definitely wasn't expected. Have all of the ideas in here been accepted as worthy of the effort, or are some of them knocked off? Just out of curiosity.

There's no way you can complain about something happening that fast. Rak's a genius.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 01:23:21 AM by AspirationRealized »

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 08:05:54 PM »
We take all ideas into consideration.  Some are way easier to implement than others is all.

The whole Dream Counter thing emerged as a wild dream of an idea - what I thought was going to be a very long-term learning and programming project for me.  Raklet surprised me last week with the revelation that he was well on the way to having the first and most important piece of it completed - so I'm as "out of the loop" in that regard as anybody else.

Isn't it delightful to have surprises like that?  I think it is.  This dream counter thing, while it is obviously for the whole community, feels to me like one of the coolest gifts I've been presented in some time.  I'm still giddy about it - and about the potential of it.
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline Adam

• ?н? ?и?, ?н? ?и???
  • Analyzer
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 06:28:08 AM »

I'm not a designer - just a programmer with enough knowledge of html to display my data.  That is why your help is valuable and necessary.  You have the taste and the talent to make things aesthetically pleasing.  Please, build me a mock-up of the data with complete html and I will put it into the mod.

I am in Austria at the moment, but when I return I will see what I can do :)
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 02:18:48 PM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline Mes Tarrant

• Haha. Hehe.
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 08:28:18 AM »
Weird, just now the lucid dream count jumped by about 20 within literally a minute. After refreshing a couple of times, it went back to normal.  Well anyway just thought I'd say something. :D And I love this thing.
"I'm disappointed with this universe... I expected some better music."
- a DC dad

Offline Raklet

• Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 10:15:47 AM »
Weird, just now the lucid dream count jumped by about 20 within literally a minute. After refreshing a couple of times, it went back to normal.  Well anyway just thought I'd say something. :D And I love this thing.

Somebody may have entered the incorrect number of dreams on accident and then went back and modified it after seeing there mistake.