Author Topic: Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR)  (Read 9210 times)

Offline Boadicea

• Aspiring storm chaser!
  • Evaluator
  • Remember who the real enemy is
    • My blog: Mortal Drivel
Re: Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR)
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 01:55:43 PM »
ASMR videos never really did it for me.  I don't know if its the same thing but I do get a similar "Braingasm" sort of thing.  It only happens to me when something awe inspiring happens.  Mostly supreme synchronicity with a song in a music video or when when a song hits a certain part I really like.  I can feel my scalp sort of tighten up as all the air on my head and down my neck stands on end.  Sometimes the electric feeling in my head can go all the way down my back and into my hands and feet.

That's the only way I ever get those feelings as well. I love a good song that'll do that.
I have a YouTube channel: TorandoChaser!

What is better-to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
-Paarthurnax

Offline mentalenforcer

• Evaluator
  • If you are not someone else...
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 04:04:16 PM »
ASMR videos never really did it for me.  I don't know if its the same thing but I do get a similar "Braingasm" sort of thing.  It only happens to me when something awe inspiring happens.  Mostly supreme synchronicity with a song in a music video or when when a song hits a certain part I really like.  I can feel my scalp sort of tighten up as all the air on my head and down my neck stands on end.  Sometimes the electric feeling in my head can go all the way down my back and into my hands and feet.

That's the only way I ever get those feelings as well. I love a good song that'll do that.

I'm not sure if I get ASMR or not.  There seem to be a number of similar (yet distinct?) things.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_chill

The response to music sounds most like frisson.

One song that comes to mind for this is Journey - Feeling That Way/Anytime (especially the crescendo at 5:00 - 5:15)
: YouTube Player • show
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OOUY1Z_XOQ[/youtube]

Does this work for anyone?

There is another sensation I get sometimes (distinct from the three listed above), that causes me to shudder/shiver but without the cold sensation of cold chill.

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 05:55:32 PM »

Sounds like it could be the same thing.
In the secret space of dreams
Where I dreaming lay amazed
When the secrets all are told
And the petals all unfold
When there was no dream of mine
You dreamed of me.
-- from Attics of My Life, by Robert Hunter

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 07:53:22 PM »
I'm not sure if I get ASMR or not.  There seem to be a number of similar (yet distinct?) things.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_chill

The response to music sounds most like frisson.

There is another sensation I get sometimes (distinct from the three listed above), that causes me to shudder/shiver but without the cold sensation of cold chill.

Good point. Could be basically the same thing as frisson or cold chill.
You dreamed of me.

Offline Shellidfl

• Doing "It" all night long... LDing, that is!
  • Evaluator
  • "Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try."
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 10:19:26 PM »
I know I tend to get the "hair on the back of your head moving" sensation.  Can be brought on by many different stimuli.  Some of which I shall not discuss here! ;-D

Actually, I can bring it on at times just by thinking of feeling it.  Or thinking of some music or other memories.

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 05:39:22 PM »
Some of which I shall not discuss here! ;-D

I think that may be a different category of response.  :angel:
You dreamed of me.

Offline Shellidfl

• Evaluator
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 09:46:50 PM »
Some of which I shall not discuss here! ;-D

I think that may be a different category of response.  :angel:

:lmao:

Offline Vex

• Lord of the Rings
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • Ex Kitten
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 12:08:21 AM »
Keep forgetting to get me some buds so I can try this.
The guys on the radio station I listen to were talking about ASMR the other day, listening to some videos. One guy liked it. The other thought it was weird. And the third guy got angry.
The impossible is possible tonight. ~Smashing Pumpkins 
https://twitter.com/MortalMist/status/473630187901317120

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 03:46:43 PM »

Probably best to get high-quality ones, so you can hear all the nuances of the sounds.

The guys on the radio station I listen to were talking about ASMR the other day, listening to some videos. One guy liked it. The other thought it was weird. And the third guy got angry.

I can understand the first two, but what made the third guy angry?
You dreamed of me.

Offline Vex

• Lord of the Rings
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • Ex Kitten
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 07:38:58 PM »

Probably best to get high-quality ones, so you can hear all the nuances of the sounds.

I can understand the first two, but what made the third guy angry?

Yes. I intend on getting some good ones this time around, bigger ones at least so they'll be easier to find.

The third guy said the whispering was obnoxious. But he gets angry at everything anyway.

I found a noise today that makes my scalp get all scrunched up feeling. Rather, the noise found me. I was sitting beside someone who was eating a freezie. It was very frozen and he was biting into it and chewing on it. The sound made my scalp and shoulders feel all twitchy and hyper sensitive. I hate that sound and I told him to get away from me since I was at the table first. And it made me remember that one of my sisters used to chew ice cubes all the time. She'd get a cup of ice, no water, just ice, and sit on the couch crunching away on them while watching tv. That noise made me feel the same way. I threatened to slap her up a few times if she didn't stop.

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 08:11:08 PM »
Yes. I intend on getting some good ones this time around, bigger ones at least so they'll be easier to find.

Always losing mine.

The third guy said the whispering was obnoxious. But he gets angry at everything anyway.

Must be a shock jock.

I found a noise today that makes my scalp get all scrunched up feeling. Rather, the noise found me. I was sitting beside someone who was eating a freezie. It was very frozen and he was biting into it and chewing on it. The sound made my scalp and shoulders feel all twitchy and hyper sensitive. I hate that sound and I told him to get away from me since I was at the table first. And it made me remember that one of my sisters used to chew ice cubes all the time. She'd get a cup of ice, no water, just ice, and sit on the couch crunching away on them while watching tv. That noise made me feel the same way. I threatened to slap her up a few times if she didn't stop.

Maybe it's like fingernails on a blackboard. That and the freezie thing might be examples of unpleasant forms of ASMR.

BTW, we don't call them "freezies" around here. Had to look that up. Good name for them, though. We mostly call them "ice pops". Freezie is better.
You dreamed of me.

Offline Shellidfl

• Evaluator
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 01:56:02 PM »
BTW, we don't call them "freezies" around here. Had to look that up. Good name for them, though. We mostly call them "ice pops". Freezie is better.

Crazy Yanks! (jj!)

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 04:00:01 PM »

Crazy Yanks! (jj!)

I think you guys are more imaginative. If Walking Dead took place in Canada, it'd have a much more interesting term for zombies than "walkers".
You dreamed of me.

Offline Vex

• Lord of the Rings
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • Ex Kitten
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 04:53:23 PM »
I'd call zombies rotties if I could classify them. Not too terribly imaginative but a bit more descriptive of their kind.

I was laying around listening to classical music the other day ago and some Bach came on. Then it struck me! I have gotten the cool brain tingly sensation before. It was when I'd heard a Bach piano concerto on the radio. It made my brain feel odd and twitchy in a good way. It's like I fell in love with the music it made me feel so strangely elated. At the time I first heard the piece I couldn't figure out how the piano soloist was making such music. I thought he or she must have octo-arms. It was like the piano part was pulling my brain in different directions and then elegantly winding it back together again. I was amazed at the way it affected me. At the end of the concerto the Dj announced it was a triple piano concerto. I thought, Three pianos... that's how!" I found the music online and listened to it five more times. Each time it made my temples and pre frontal cortex area tingle, and sometimes at the base of my skull I'd feel that sensation to a lesser degree. I was starting to feel a bit abnormal because I felt like the only one who has never experienced the sensation.

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 07:06:32 PM »
I'd call zombies rotties if I could classify them. Not too terribly imaginative but a bit more descriptive of their kind.

Pretty good!

I was laying around listening to classical music the other day ago and some Bach came on. Then it struck me! I have gotten the cool brain tingly sensation before. It was when I'd heard a Bach piano concerto on the radio. It made my brain feel odd and twitchy in a good way. It's like I fell in love with the music it made me feel so strangely elated. At the time I first heard the piece I couldn't figure out how the piano soloist was making such music. I thought he or she must have octo-arms. It was like the piano part was pulling my brain in different directions and then elegantly winding it back together again. I was amazed at the way it affected me. At the end of the concerto the Dj announced it was a triple piano concerto. I thought, Three pianos... that's how!" I found the music online and listened to it five more times. Each time it made my temples and pre frontal cortex area tingle, and sometimes at the base of my skull I'd feel that sensation to a lesser degree. I was starting to feel a bit abnormal because I felt like the only one who has never experienced the sensation.

Hadn't heard of that one. Sounds great! Bach's music is incredibly good. Do you have a link to that piece? Found this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4SZesjbOdg
You dreamed of me.