Author Topic: Laughter  (Read 4758 times)

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
Laughter
« on: May 24, 2015, 03:33:39 PM »
I had a dream a couple of days ago that made me laugh uncontrollably. Not sure I was actually laughing, but at least I was dreaming that I was laughing. I told my wife about it and she said she's had a number of dreams that made her laugh so hard it woke her up. It made me think that it might be fun to try to induce dreams that make you laugh or to induce laughter during an LD. Maybe tell jokes to DCs, or do something really funny to make them laugh. Or ask them to make you laugh, then see what they do. I wonder if the same things we find funny while awake are also funny while dreaming. I would guess that more things would strike us as funny when we're asleep, but maybe not. Would be great to put together a collection of jokes that people heard or thought of during dreams.

Anyway, could be a fun thing to do during lucid dreams. Also, laughter has healing properties. Who was it that wrote a book on that topic many years ago? He used humor to help overcome a serious illness. Was a pretty popular book for awhile.

So, I was wondering what experiences other people may have had in this area. And/or ideas you might have for exploring laughter and humor in dreams.
In the secret space of dreams
Where I dreaming lay amazed
When the secrets all are told
And the petals all unfold
When there was no dream of mine
You dreamed of me.
-- from Attics of My Life, by Robert Hunter

Offline Shellidfl

• Doing "It" all night long... LDing, that is!
  • Evaluator
  • "Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try."
Re: Laughter
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 03:38:02 PM »
I really like this idea, john.  I will try to induce laughter the next time I can. 

I know once, about 12 years ago, I dreamed my father died.  I was sobbing in my dream and woke up sobbing as well.  Took a bit to convince myself he hadn't died. 

And, he's still alive and doing very well, thank you.  Actually celebrated his 78th birthday on Friday by flying his float plane to our camp with "the guys" for a weekend fishing trip. :content:

Offline Boadicea

• Aspiring storm chaser!
  • Evaluator
  • Remember who the real enemy is
    • My blog: Mortal Drivel
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 04:28:25 PM »
I woke myself up laughing once, and for the life of me I couldn't remember what the dream was at all! That was funny in itself.
This isn't necessarily dream-related, but I've found that if you concentrate hard enough and visualize yourself laughing really hard, it will make you smile or laugh aloud without realizing it until you come back to the moment. I use that when I'm having a bad day to cheer me up sometimes.
I have a YouTube channel: TorandoChaser!

What is better-to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
-Paarthurnax

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 12:50:45 PM »
I really like this idea, john.  I will try to induce laughter the next time I can. 

Great! Hope it works!

I know once, about 12 years ago, I dreamed my father died.  I was sobbing in my dream and woke up sobbing as well.  Took a bit to convince myself he hadn't died. 

Crying can also be therapeutic. Might be worthwhile to try to induce crying in an LD. See if you can get DCs to cry by telling them a sad story. Or ask them to tell you something reallly sad. Or just think of something sad during an LD.

And, he's still alive and doing very well, thank you.  Actually celebrated his 78th birthday on Friday by flying his float plane to our camp with "the guys" for a weekend fishing trip. :content:

Glad to hear that!!
You dreamed of me.

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 12:54:24 PM »
I woke myself up laughing once, and for the life of me I couldn't remember what the dream was at all! That was funny in itself.

Would be great to know what it was that made you laugh.

This isn't necessarily dream-related, but I've found that if you concentrate hard enough and visualize yourself laughing really hard, it will make you smile or laugh aloud without realizing it until you come back to the moment. I use that when I'm having a bad day to cheer me up sometimes.

Nice idea!
You dreamed of me.

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 12:57:25 PM »
This is that book I was trying to think of:

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Illness-Perceived-Twentieth-Anniversary/dp/0393326845

The best-selling, groundbreaking classic by Norman Cousins on combating life-threatening illness through humor and patient participation in care.
Anatomy of an Illness was the first book by a patient that spoke to our current interest in taking charge of our own health. It started the revolution in patients working with their doctors and using humor to boost their bodies' capacity for healing. When Norman Cousins was diagnosed with a crippling and irreversible disease, he forged an unusual collaboration with his physician, and together they were able to beat the odds. The doctor's genius was in helping his patient to use his own powers: laughter, courage, and tenacity. The patient's talent was in mobilizing his body's own natural resources, proving what an effective healing tool the mind can be. This remarkable story of the triumph of the human spirit is truly inspirational reading.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:19:39 PM by johnb »
You dreamed of me.

Offline mentalenforcer

• Evaluator
  • If you are not someone else...
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 07:04:49 PM »
I have woken up laughing before.  Offhand I can't remember any of the jokes, though I remember they are generally puns.

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 08:30:54 PM »
I have woken up laughing before.  Offhand I can't remember any of the jokes, though I remember they are generally puns.

Wouldn't have thought puns would happen that often during dreams. So that's pretty interesting! Wish you could remember what the puns were. Lots of puns can be found online. Stuff like this:

http://www.punoftheday.com/cgi-bin/disppuns.pl?ord=F&cat=0&sub=0&page=6

A hole has been found in the nudist camp wall. The police are looking into it.

Here's a sleep-related pun from that website:

Sleeping comes so naturally to me, I could do it with my eyes closed.

Probably are a lot of sleep-related puns:

http://www.punsandjokes.com/category/sleep-puns/

http://www.you-can-be-funny.com/Funny-Puns.html

When you dream in color, it's a pigment of your imagination.

A lot of people say dreams are full of puns, which could be true:

http://dreamoftheweek.com/dreamoftheweek_13puns.htm
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A%3A1009428923348?no-access=true
You dreamed of me.