Author Topic: Extremely Delayed Dream Recall  (Read 724 times)

Offline Boadicea

• Aspiring storm chaser!
  • Evaluator
  • Remember who the real enemy is
    • My blog: Mortal Drivel
Extremely Delayed Dream Recall
« on: July 08, 2016, 02:28:25 AM »
I find that there is a lot of material discussing why it is hard to remember dreams and why they are so easily erased from our memory, and there are a lot of promising theories explaining this.
But sometimes I'll remember that I had a dream but it isn't until days later that I suddenly remember it vividly. The theories that explain why dreams are so easily forgotten don't allow for this kind of delayed recall. Logically, it would have been erased before the next time you slept.
Sometimes I am even certain that I don't even remember that I had a dream a certain day until it hits me days later like a punch to the face.

Any ideas as to why this is? Does anyone else experience this kind of delayed recall?
I have a YouTube channel: TorandoChaser!

What is better-to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
-Paarthurnax

Offline greg lousy

• _--<<<::((*** & ***))::>>>--_
  • Evaluator
  • happy perpetual birthday
Re: Extremely Delayed Dream Recall
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 03:12:12 AM »
I don't have the answer, but I know exactly what your talking about.  I experience this when I am consistently journaling.  I've come to think about it in the same way my memory of waking activities works, like when you find yourself thinking of some obscure event from long ago, or when something triggers an old memory you may very well have never thought of again. 
........ and I cannot find my way back to the sea, but the saltiest sea knows its own way to me    -   Joanna Newsome

Offline Boadicea

• Aspiring storm chaser!
  • Evaluator
  • Remember who the real enemy is
    • My blog: Mortal Drivel
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 10:02:51 AM »
I'm glad somebody gets what I'm saying! Haha
It happens just like you say; like something triggering an old memory. I think it gives rise to some important questions regarding what science currently tells us about dream recall.
I have a YouTube channel: TorandoChaser!

What is better-to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
-Paarthurnax

Offline iadr

• Evaluator
  • Peace Be With You!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 05:46:02 PM »
Sometimes I am even certain that I don't even remember that I had a dream a certain day until it hits me days later like a punch to the face.
Any ideas as to why this is? Does anyone else experience this kind of delayed recall?
It is caused by your being in a different dimension than the physical when you're dreaming, which can cause the dream to vanish when you come back into the physical by waking up, as the dream memory has to be brought over from the other dimension into the physical.

Things that happen to a person later in the day, or even days later can often trigger these forgotten dreams, which can also be triggered by going over familiar places and events in ones mind after waking up from what seems like a dreamless night.
Beg and Bas: HA GG TR LM CL SO LC RS FL LW TD
Int: EF BI JR DC WH CT CW IA WA TA WT JT RA WW WF RA MF WF BO TK
Advanced: TT AN OB CS BH ST
Sea:
All tasks completed. Going through a second time.

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 02:46:11 PM »
It must mean that our dreams (at least recent dreams, but maybe even all dreams) are stored somewhere in our brains. However, accessing those memories is a problem. Sometimes I'll see (or hear, or think of) something that triggers a memory of a dream. It'd be great to figure out ways to make that triggering process work better and happen more often.
In the secret space of dreams
Where I dreaming lay amazed
When the secrets all are told
And the petals all unfold
When there was no dream of mine
You dreamed of me.
-- from Attics of My Life, by Robert Hunter

Offline alwayslearning

• Comprehender
  • "Whose dream is this?" "Yours"
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 01:13:02 AM »
It must mean that our dreams (at least recent dreams, but maybe even all dreams) are stored somewhere in our brains. However, accessing those memories is a problem. Sometimes I'll see (or hear, or think of) something that triggers a memory of a dream. It'd be great to figure out ways to make that triggering process work better and happen more often.
This is along the lines of what I believe is true. With dreaming taking part in the mind, we just don't simulate as many areas of the brain (such as areas associated with touch/smell/taste/hear) as we do in waking life. Of course, that's generalising non-lucids as you'll often 'take notice' of senses you weren't aware of when you become lucid. Thus, it's harder for us to create a neural network to those memories. Less neural access points to those memories = harder to reach.

Offline mentalenforcer

• Evaluator
  • If you are not someone else...
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 02:26:38 AM »
In a series of books I've read there's an explanation of memory that I like.

According to it, perception takes place at the spot in/on our energy bodies where the "assemblage point" is located.  The location of the assemblage point determines how we will perceive the universe.  It can be moved around, and typically meanders when someone is dreaming.  Memory is stored in the location of the assemblage point.  So when the assemblage point is on its customary position, the memories in other positions aren't readily at hand, but they still exist and could be accessed if we knew how to control the movement of our assemblage point and knew where to put it.