Author Topic: Pavlov's lucid dreams: Using classical conditioning to induce lucidity in dreams  (Read 5370 times)

Offline gagaku

• Analyzer
Lately I have been thinking about using classical conditioning for lucid dreams. I have read about using operant conditioning to have lucid dreams, but that relies on reward and/or punishment. Classical conditioning just depends on forminging an association between two stimuli. It is good that is does not have to be a reward because if you were to use a reward like chocolate you could run out of it and lose motivation or it could grow old. Since the stimulus does not have to be a reward it doesn't matter as much. Here is the idea of how this could be applied to lucids:
1)pick a stimulus. It could be a new song that you haven't heard before, or a ritual of some sort.
2)wait to have a lucid dream
3)When you write the dream down, or before you WILD, introduce the stimulus.
4)after doing step 3 for several times introduce the stimulus before you want the lucid dreams

please post comments, corrections, replies, results ...ect
Seemingly the bough is the cause of the fruit,
But really the bough exists because of the fruit.
Were he not impelled by desire of fruit,
The gardener would never have planted the tree.
    -Rumi

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline Hazel

• Evaluator
I've tried the operant conditioning before, but this sounds like it would be a lot more effective. I'm going to try this soon, I'll let you know the results after a month or so. Great idea! :)
Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep? To the very toes he is terrified, Because the ground gives the way under him, And the dream begins... - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Namaste

• Evaluator
  • Dreaming Daeva

my "gruel diet" where I ate nothing but this powdered nutritional food mix until I had a lucid

Sounds Yummy :(
Total Lifetime LDs: 54
(53 DILDS 1 FILD - many of the DILDs have been induced by WBTB or FILD/WILD Attempts - or both)

Challenges completed
          Bas:  HA, FL, GG, SO
          Int:  CO, CP, MF, TK, DC
          Adv:  None yet (waaah!)

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline unseen wombat

• Evaluator
I used to always use the brainwave entrainment program on my psp while trying to lucid. It worked for a while, then stopped. I wonder if maybe it wasn't the brainwaves that helped me get lucid, but the conditioning to associate the beats with lucid dreaming. It's certainly possible. I haven't done it so much lately. Maybe I should.

Lucid tasks completed:
BAS: HA FL GG SO
INT: CP MF
ADV: OS VS TT DL LO

Offline gagaku

• Analyzer
The brain entrainment program could only make you more aware so that you could become lucid, so it may (or may not) be this.
    -Rumi

Offline gagaku

• Analyzer
The last two times that I have had lucid dreams I have held my left hand in a postion that I normaly wouldn't hold it in while writing my dreams down, so I'll see how that works out after a while.
    -Rumi

Offline Seeker

• Aegis Emeritus
  • Evaluator
  • Into the Mist!
    • Mortal Mist
Very interesting concept here, I will also see what luck it brings me.  While pondering what I would use as a reward, the thought that struck me was that there would be no better reward than a lucid dream!   :sad1:
be the change you wish to see in the world
-gandhi

Offline Lucidbulbs

• Cafe Queen
  • Evaluator
  • Mmmm Lattes~
O.O I never thought of using classical conditioning for LDs, I mean Skinner's operant conditioning sure (positive reinforcement and such).

I think though it would be easiest with WILDs since they have the highest success rate.

And XD rewards are for operant love~
Back from the dead...let's hope I'll stick to it.

DILD: 2
MILD:1
WILD: