Author Topic: Memory Games and Recall  (Read 1631 times)

Offline miss_maya

• Creator's Guild
  • Evaluator
  • I will bring that flower back with me!
Memory Games and Recall
« on: August 14, 2009, 01:04:43 AM »

Do brain training games help improve recall?
This is a curious question that came up in conversation recently and so i am conducting this little thread experiment to see if there is any connection between brain training memory games and improvement in dream recall.
If not then i think its still a fun thread because you get to play games  :boogie:

If you have a nintendo brain training game, use that. For others, here are some games i found relevant to the experiment.
Please try practicing your memory for at least a week before posting your dream recall results.

Short term memory training
Animated memory game - Easy at first, but try playing it a few times in a row. If you can manage to keep a steady high score after your 3rd-5th play in a row, i'd say you have good short term memory.

Sound memory game - Same as above only it trains your awareness of tones. You should be good at it if you are already musically trained.

Scene memory
Treasure Hunt game - This one seems pretty good for training the memory to recall those smaller dream details..

Path memory
An American in Paris
I find this one really boring, but i cant find any better ones online at the moment.
It may be a good one to practice because just as you memorize the tour in this game, you may be recalling the journey of a dream you had, in a similar way.
If you find other games to add to the list which are relevant to memory training, please post.

The aim of this experiment is to exercise memory in general and see if it affects dream recall at all. My simple thinking is that if one improves their short term memory, perhaps long-term memory (which i'm guessing your dreams would ideally be stored in) will also begin to improve..

:nienies:

Offline Clairity

• I'll See You In my Dreams...
  • Aegis Emeritus
  • Evaluator
Re: Memory Games and Recall
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 12:58:48 PM »
Thanks so much for the games!  I tried the Treasure Hunt Game and did pretty well! :content:

Challenges completed:

Basic: HA, FL, SO, LM, LC
Intermediate: WW, CO, CP, MO, TK, MF, WA, EF, IA, DC
Advanced: TE, OS, GC, DL, LO, HP

Offline Hazel

• Evaluator
Re: Memory Games and Recall
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:18:01 PM »
My memory seems to have degressed to that of a goldfish recently, so maybe this'll help. Excellent idea, Miss_Maya. It sort of reminds me of a bit from ETWOLD that Stephen LaBerge used in preparation for MILDs.
Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep? To the very toes he is terrified, Because the ground gives the way under him, And the dream begins... - Friedrich Nietzsche