Author Topic: What is your vision for Mortal Mist?  (Read 4213 times)

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
What is your vision for Mortal Mist?
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:20:22 AM »
I'm posing this question to the owners here - to YOU.  I'll answer for myself (as but one of the owners) in the next post.

What do you hope to see MM become in the short and long term?  What is your vision for this place we've all worked so hard and long at establishing?

This is an important question to consider right now, as there are changes afoot - all, IMHO, for the better, in how the established lucid dreaming communities are viewing one another and the greater calling of bringing awareness of Lucid Dreaming to the world.

Please consider this and post your response.

Thank you!
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
Re: What is your vision for Mortal Mist?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 10:27:56 AM »
I hope to see MM remain the intimate, tightly focused community we have become.

At the same time, I would love to see the impression of "exclusivity" or being some kind of club with an attitude of superiority go away.  Those of us who are here know that we aren't like that, but to the outside world that does, sadly, seem to be the impression we have projected.  That impression harms us, as half of our mission is about promoting Lucid Dreaming, and we cannot accomplish that mission without being inviting and desirable to those new to Lucid Dreaming who are looking for information, ideas and support.

I would like to see us continue growing slowly, have more inexperienced newcomers finding a place here, all while maintaining our focus and tight sense of community.  I would like to see the completion of the efforts for the owner-members to take over all aspects of managing and maintaining this community and website.

It is my hope that MM might become the "public radio" of the Lucid Dreaming world - a not-for-profit alternative to the big commercial sites that makes sense for a small part of the Lucid Dreaming world through offerings and opportunities that just wouldn't work out in the big, busy and crowded communities.

--pj

Offline DrTechnical

• Lead Tangential Thinker
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »
I don't want to over think this. Rather I will go with my instincts.

Yes, I like the fact that MM has been pretty drama free. Yes, I agree that we don't want to seem stand-offish, too esoteric or any of those things. So sure, we should continue to find ways to attract newbies and balance the mix here some.

The one thing I see MM as a good vehicle for, is continued research into the unknown. I think there have been a few efforts into this. I have to admit, with all my personal distractions, my efforts into these areas have been very hot and cold as well.

But we have so many mature, capable people here that it would be unfortunate not to leverage the sparks of creativity that flow here daily.

This could be pooling the efforts of several people to investigate new LDS's, or Dream Sharing, or PSI or whatever.

Sure, we do this a little. But the efforts are very informal and people ultimately lose interest. It would be great if we as a community could start a project and really HIT on something. I think the types of people here in the Mist, lend themselves to that possibility, more so than a DV's for instance.

"In a fearful stampede to save themselves from the terrifying menace of an original idea, the herd can become a mindless destroyer of the light." - Thomas Campbell

"I just had to get nice last night. My Mind is so free, you wouldn't believe ... you wouldn't believe" - Dave Wyndorf

"I don't understand. How can less be more? That's impossible. More is more." - Yngwie Malmsteen

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 11:07:46 PM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline mu

• Ishmael
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 12:15:37 AM »
I hope to see MM remain the intimate, tightly focused community we have become.
Well said.

Perhaps it's this very thing that gives some people the impression of exclusivity?  If that's the case, I wouldn't want to sacrifice that.  I would welcome any changes that do not detract from, but rather increase "the world's knowledge" of lucidity.  Whether that means promoting, researching, etc..  I would not welcome changes that lead away from lucidity, into any more general subject than that of dreams.

I don't get the impression *at all* that MM has an air of superiority.  (Nor did I when I first visited.)  But maybe it is our tight focus that is responsible for that--a newcomer into the world of lucid dreams might feel quite lost in many of the discussions.  Even though we have some introductory material explaining how to, and a little bit why to have lucid dreams, there is no general impression of what it's all about, what we're doing here, until you've been here for awhile.

But it's extremely difficult to say what we should be about, when what we're about is lucidity.  What's lucidity about?  Lucidity is about so many things; it's impossible to describe it.  Especially since so much depends on subjective experience.  It's like having a site about "imagining."

So, maybe it would be good to have a way for first time visitors to get an impression of us, and lucidity, rather than being faced with only how-to tutorials, and personal discussions on the forum.  Maybe we could do something on the front pages, allowing members to create little stories about their experiences, and stories with descriptive, inviting tones.  Something like that.  In short, let the members say why they're members!

Offline StarSeeker

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • I wish you the stars.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 03:56:28 AM »
Maybe we could do something on the front pages, allowing members to create little stories about their experiences, and stories with descriptive, inviting tones.  Something like that.  In short, let the members say why they're members!
:goodidea:, mu!
DJ:Oniric Archive
Awake Journal: Wild experiences on the StarS
-----------------

Sweet dreams old friends, sweet dreams.

Offline Sean999

• Creator's Guild
  • Evaluator
  • Only in your dreams...
    • The Sound of My Universe
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 04:06:13 AM »
My thoughts have already been expressed in the previous posts; we should remain focused on LD'ing while maintaining an inviting and beginner friendly atmosphere.

I don't know if this deserves a new thread or not, but I have an issue with Seekers' Corner: it's very sparse. If I remember correctly, everything was basically flushed out of there..? That board was meant to help beginners have their first LD's, so we're gonna need some content in there. I don't want to distract from this thread too much, so if anyone wants to start a new thread, please feel free. If not, I will probably make one tomorrow after school sometime.

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 07:34:59 AM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 08:00:16 AM »
We have two separate and worthy points brought up here.  Each needs a new thread:

Seekers Corner. . . there is discussion scattered all over the place about that.  (It was not intended to be the "workshop hall" - it was supposed to be a place for "seekers" of knowledge about lucid dreaming to find as a convenient first stop.)

And apparently the motion has carried to add a section of member testimonials or some such thing to the front pages.  We need to sort that and make it happen.

Now - back to our regularly scheduled thread!

--pj

Offline Seeker

• Aegis Emeritus
  • Evaluator
  • Into the Mist!
    • Mortal Mist
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 08:25:59 AM »
My thoughts for Seeker's Corner was a place in which basic techniquest could be taught and discussed.  A good place for new members or those just learning LD could find help.  The biggest problem we have had in that respect is that we are having difficulties attracting people who are just getting started in LD.  We've made a long climb in the search engine rankings, but until we make it to page one or two we are not going to attract that many casual browsers.  

One thing MM excels at that should not be changed is:

1) It's sense of community - It is one of the smoothest running communities I've seen.  No problems with trolls or spammers.
2) It's focus on advanced LD topics including research for newer or improved techniques.

It has been a goal of mine for years now to help bring all of the major lucid dreaming communities together into a friendly alliance.  This is based on the fact that first and foremost, we are all lucid dreamers and do not allow ourselves to exclusively belong to one forum or another.  Lucid dreamers participate at two and sometimes more lucid dreaming sites, taking what they need from each site and hopefully leaving little nuggets of wisdom at others.

Can MM meet everyone's needs?  I doubt it.  By the same token, DV, LL, LD4All, Lucidity, also cannot meet everyones needs.  

So, in summary.  MM needs to be positioned so that it meets the needs of the LD communities not fully covered by the other sites.  It must also remain open minded and ready to share ideas with others in the greater LD community.  

I would love nothing more than to see replies to posts on other forums pointing people to MM, or LL, or etc. for an answer to a posters question.  I do not know if such a lofty goal is even possible, but I'd really like to find out!   :)

be the change you wish to see in the world
-gandhi

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 08:28:42 AM »
I would love nothing more than to see replies to posts on other forums pointing people to MM, or LL, or etc. for an answer to a posters question.  I do not know if such a lofty goal is even possible, but I'd really like to find out!   :)

So would I.

And you've just pointed out a couple tooltips that need attention - LL and LD4ALL, in the spirit of exactly what you are talking about.

We're trying to DO it.

--pj

Offline StarSeeker

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • I wish you the stars.
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 09:41:08 AM »
I would love nothing more than to see replies to posts on other forums pointing people to MM, or LL, or etc. for an answer to a posters question.  I do not know if such a lofty goal is even possible, but I'd really like to find out!   :)

At Dreamershell, on a thread about dream reports, I mentioned the MM dream database system - the Dream-catcher. The members there already knew MM, so it wasn't much of an advance.
DJ:Oniric Archive
Awake Journal: Wild experiences on the StarS
-----------------

Sweet dreams old friends, sweet dreams.

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 12:08:42 PM »
Yes - the members may be familiar with us, but the back link is worth its weight in gold.  One of the greatest factors in search engine "scoring" is back links from known high quality and RELATED sites.

This is why link swapping can be so valuable.  The only ones who don't really win from it are those who are already in first place for their chosen target terms.

--pj

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 08:08:10 PM »
Well - thanks to everybody who took the time to contribute their thoughts to this question.

The next question has now been posted in this thread - regarding re-thinking our mission statement.  Your thoughts in this thread should be kept very much in mind for the next step.

--pj