Author Topic: A Question of Purpose - Re-evaluating our mission  (Read 4973 times)

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
A Question of Purpose - Re-evaluating our mission
« on: January 28, 2010, 03:05:28 PM »
This is going to be the beginning of what I hope will be a pretty comprehensive series of discussions about what Mortal Mist is and what we are to become.  It is the next step for the conversations that have come before - much more general conversations that have laid the groundwork for what must follow.

We do have a mission statement here at MM.  It has never really been hashed out, as I was the only member here when it was adapted.  It is simply this, in one form or another:  Mortal Mist is dedicated to exploring and promoting the art and discipline of Lucid Dreaming.

As we continue growing slowly, re-evaluating our place among the giants in the Lucid Dreaming world and determining how best to meet the needs and expectations of our member-owners as well as making ourselves as useful and inviting to newcomers as possible, the Mission Statement is beginning to look kind of inadequate.  It has been my experience that without a clear and concise sense of mission and purpose, a lot of time and energy get wasted in efforts that end up being way off the mark in final evaluation.

So here is the question:  What should our mission be here at Mortal Mist?

Bear in mind that the Mission Statement is the standard by which every direction we consider and everything we do will ultimately be measured.

There are many reasons I believe our present mission statement is inadequate.  It is extremely broad - anything under the general heading of Lucid Dreaming fits, more or less.  And "exploring and promoting" is equally broad - so we end up with a huge subject matter and an equally huge goal.

As you think this through, bear in mind that we are a non-profit entity in a world dominated by for-profit behemoths.  Remember that no matter how gracious and generous we wish to be to our giant neighbors, in the end our very existence is counter to their whole reason to exist - which is to make as much money for their owners as possible.  Bear in mind, too, that we have generally failed to draw in newbies to lucid dreaming or keep those few who do find their way in.  We also have to consider our limited resources in terms of pretty much everything - attention and time of active members, bandwidth, funding, system capabilities, those willing and able to take responsibility, etc.  Our current mission asks us to be all things to all lucid dreamers.  Is this really a reasonable expectation?  If it isn't, what IS reasonable?

We've clearly done a lot of things right.  The member-ownership concept is unique, and the resulting pride in our shared online home results in a dignified and classy atmosphere that is without peer in the Lucid Dreaming world.  We have a truly impressive gathering of dreamers here, with a breadth and depth of experience that is absolutely astonishing.  We have technical capability that is without rival.  We have a comprehensive and focused collection of LDS information that is superb.  And we have never lost our focus on Lucid Dreaming - which is, after all, what this is all about in the first place.  The very fact that we continue to survive as we approach our 2nd birthday is also pretty remarkable - especially considering that we were pronounced dead in July of '08 in an in-depth evaluation posted at a "rival" site.

So have at it.  Do you think our mission statement is adequate?  How could it be changed and/or improved?  What key aspects should be singled out for our dedicated effort?  How do we measure our progress to whatever end we choose?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:25:45 PM by pj »
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
Re: A Question of Purpose - Re-evaluating our mission
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 12:13:04 PM »
This thread hasn't gotten much traction.

It has been suggested that perhaps I'm over-thinking this thing.  That may well be - it is certainly one of my personality traits.

So here's the thing. . . do we keep on moving forward with the existing mission, in all of its broad all-encompassing glory, or do we take at least some of the pieces of what we've discussed, particularly in the "Vision" thread, and reformulate the mission?

We have a lot of projects waiting on this key piece of the puzzle.  A better metaphor would be to call it the foundation.  If you plan to build anything that will last, the foundation must be sound.  At the moment, I do not believe our foundation fits what we are building here.

Here's what I can glean from reading all the various places this has been discussed in the past couple months as far as thoughts and ideas needing to be boiled into down into a new mission statement, if we are going to have one at all:

- We like where we are at in general terms; slow growth, drama-free, highly focused, member-ownership, etc.
- We might want to focus more on drawing in people new to lucid dreaming, but then again maybe not
- We want to improve focus on research and exploration
- We might want to do more to bring the concept of lucid dreaming to an audience who knows little or nothing about it
- We might or might not want to embrace the sense of exclusivity and prestige (deserved or not) that we seem to have among the lucid dreaming communities
- We might want to play a more active role in trying to draw lucid dreaming communities of all kinds (profit, non-profit, etc.) together

Have I missed anything?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:43:51 PM by pj »

--pj

Offline StarSeeker

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • I wish you the stars.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 04:04:44 PM »
- We like where we are at in general terms; slow growth, drama-free, highly focused, member-ownership, etc.
Member ownership, drama-free and focus are musts.
DJ:Oniric Archive
Awake Journal: Wild experiences on the StarS
-----------------

Sweet dreams old friends, sweet dreams.

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 08:40:33 PM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 10:39:59 AM »
I like it, Moonbeam.

Let's see if I can refine it a bit without losing the spirit and values it defines:

Mortal Mist is dedicated to exploring and promoting Lucid Dreaming by providing an encouraging atmosphere where member-owners share and discuss experiences and ideas, work toward their own dream goals, and expand knowledge and practical application of lucid dreaming through individual and collective documentation and experimentation.

--pj

Offline Burned up

• Burning candles at both ends
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 10:44:15 AM »
Also research and exploration are good.

Yes.

I think we're possibly a little too modest here.  What we're doing probably puts us in the expert category when it comes to dream research.  PhD students and other academic researchers won't get as much info from their sample as we get from each other.

I'll add "sharing of experiences" to the mix.
Bu

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 10:47:29 AM »
. . . where member-owners share and discuss experiences and ideas, . . .

You would like to see it worded differently?  Have a go at it!  We're hammering something that's very pliable here.

--pj

Offline Burned up

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 11:30:50 AM »
. . . where member-owners share and discuss experiences and ideas, . . .

You would like to see it worded differently?  Have a go at it!  We're hammering something that's very pliable here.

...where member-owners share and discuss experiences, informally promoting research and knowledge on lucidity and other aspects of dreaming...

I had a go.
Bu

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 02:53:36 PM »
Mortal Mist is dedicated to exploring and promoting Lucid Dreaming by providing an encouraging atmosphere where member-owners share and discuss experiences, informally promoting research and knowledge on lucidity and other aspects of dreaming through individual and collective documentation and experimentation.

--pj

Offline Burned up

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 06:16:51 PM »
Says it all.
Bu

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 08:40:43 PM »
I would change that "on" to either "about" or "of", but other than that I like it.

What do others think?

--pj

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 10:54:42 PM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 08:44:16 AM »
Mortal Mist is dedicated to exploring and promoting Lucid Dreaming by providing an encouraging atmosphere where member-owners share and discuss experiences, informally promoting research and knowledge of lucidity and other aspects of dreaming through individual and collective documentation and experimentation.

Good!

How about "aspects".  Is there perhaps a better choice there?

--pj

Offline Vex

• Lord of the Rings
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • Ex Kitten
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »
Wow. That about wraps it all up. And nicely.

What about, embracing all aspects of dreaming?
The impossible is possible tonight. ~Smashing Pumpkins 
https://twitter.com/MortalMist/status/473630187901317120

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 12:32:39 PM »
Let's try it!

Mortal Mist is dedicated to exploring and promoting Lucid Dreaming by providing an encouraging atmosphere where member-owners share and discuss experiences, informally promoting research and knowledge of lucidity and all aspects of dreaming through individual and collective documentation and experimentation.

--pj