Author Topic: Rainbow's Recall Technique  (Read 2467 times)

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
Rainbow's Recall Technique
« on: April 15, 2010, 09:52:41 AM »
I'm posting this here so others can try it and provide feedback.  I'm going to start trying this immediately.

Here's her post, copied over from my DJ:

Hey, regarding recall... About 15 months ago I posted a thread about a big discovery I made that hugely improved my dream recall. I went from waking up with no recall and having to strain my memory and barely coming up with anything, to recalling entire dreams every single night with barely any effort. I'm still doing so fifteen months later. I have incredible recall every single night - so much so that it's a real effort tying to keep my journal up to date.

Anyway, the trick I discovered is simply to wear a sleep mask. I discovered this inadvertantly when one morning I was away on holiday and when I woke up in the morning the room was particularly bright. I instinctively put my hand over my eyes and immediately my dream came flooding back. I figured there might be a connection between light and dream recall so the next night I wore a sleep mask to bed. From that time onward my dream recall has been brilliant. I even have a black sheet I hang up on two nails each night before going to bed to make sure my room is as dark as possible when I wake up - it makes such a difference.

You may still need to make an effort the first few mornings, but after that it's like a domino effect. Sucessfully recalling your dream on one morning seems to aid recall the next. It's like you get on a roll.

My recall still varies a little but I never have a night when I can't recall a decent amount of dream content. In fact, now I think about it, if I ever wake up and I can't recall any dreams then it's pretty much guaranteed I'm having a FA  Smiley

Like I said, I posted this thread 15 months ago and almost everyone who tried it found it worked and were very grateful.
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline DownTheRabbitHole

• Black Rabbit
  • Synthesizer
  • Would be nice if something made sense for a change
Re: Rainbow's Recall Technique
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 07:20:06 PM »
I'm excited to try this!
I think if I have a mask, then I'll also be able to remember to rc in the morning and write down in journal. Thanks!
You can call me Skye =3
.Oh look, it's a turtle, you should probably do a RC.
Pick a color, any color, as you see it... are you dreaming?

Offline Rainbow

• Lost in Wonderland
  • Evaluator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 05:37:13 AM »
Thanks pj :)

I've certainly had a lot of success with recall since using a sleep mask. At first I just wore cheap ones but then I started ordering and trying different types online. I've tried quite a few but the absolute best by a country mile is the Escape mask by Dream Essentials. You can get it on Amazon, or directly from their website. I bought one of the new improved softer versions and it was so amazing I bought a second one. It really does block 100% of light. Many sleep masks advertise this, but in reality they don't. It is also beautifully soft and comfortable even when lying on your side. It also has cut out indents for your eyes so you don't feel it rubbing on your eyelids and lashes and you can comfortably open your eyes while wearing the mask and remain in total darkness.

Here's the link to their website http://www.dreamessentials.com/a_mask_dream_away.aspx

People might want to try a cheap mask first to see if it works for them.

The other thing that helps with recall is to try and remain still upon first awakening, keep your eyes closed, and focus on where you just were. If you naturally open your eyes when you awaken don't worry, just close them again. The beauty of the sleep mask is that you will be kept in darkness so your dream will still be accessible. It seems to be light that washes your dreams away. If nothing comes to you :norecall: then simply put everything out of your mind and start drifting back to sleep. You don't have to go completely to sleep, and in fact you don't need to because as soon as your brain re-enters a deeper alpha rhythm getting close to theta, your dream should come flooding back of its own accord.

It may take a few mornings before you recall a dream, but like I said, after that it gets easier and easier.

These links provide an interesting read on brain waves and sleep/wakefulness. Once you understand how the different brain wave patterns relate to different levels of arousal you'll see why my techniques are so conducive to good dream recall.

http://www.web-us.com/brainwavesfunction.htm

http://www.guide-to-self-help-techniques.com/alpha-brain-waves.html

Did you know that at any time throughout the day you can willfully alter the rhythm of your brain waves simply by closing your eyes?  :meditate:

If you didn't know this then you really should read the links. Your brain is a tool you use for lucid dreaming so the least you can do is know how it works!  :uhm:

Let me know how you all get on with this!
Is this a dream?                               Is this a dream?                               Is this a dream?                               Is this a dream?

Offline Alex Lou

• the scattered
  • Evaluator
  • Inaccurate Count
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 03:33:59 PM »
I wonder if this could have to do with the amount of melatonin produced.

Anyway, doesn't work for me.  Sometimes I sleep with a mask and sometimes I don't.  And there's no noticeable difference in recall.

Offline Rainbow

• Lost in Wonderland
  • Evaluator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 04:34:46 PM »
If you are already recalling well, a sleep mask won't make much difference - there is only so much dreaming to be recalled per night and a sleep mask won't increase your dreaming quantity. Your recall can only increase if you are starting with very scanty recall or no recall at all. Also, remember even if you have very scanty recall it could take a few days before you notice the difference as recall seems to be fairly cyclical.

Also, if you are waking up in a dark room anyway due to having dark curtains or awakening before sunrise then the sleep mask won't make any difference.

Also, if you are waking up to an alarm then you may not be waking after a dreaming stage in which case there's nothing to recall.

Anyway, many of the DV had amazing success with sleep masks so hopefully some members here will benefit too.
Is this a dream?                               Is this a dream?                               Is this a dream?                               Is this a dream?

Offline mu

• Ishmael
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:45:02 PM »
Thank you very much for this Rainbow.  As the person who cobbled together the :norecall: smiley from existing ones to express my feelings on recall, I can only tell you that if something this simple and logical this works I'll be (happily) kicking myself.. forever, probably.  I'm going to try it tonight using.. something; I don't know yet, I don't have a mask, but I can't wait.  :)

I've noticed that too sometimes, about the dream flooding back again if you close your eyes.  But I'd always thought that remaining still and relaxed was the most important thing, and I did not always keep them closed.  I didn't associate it with light, and I thought it was more or less an accident when they "flooded" (which is a good word for how it seems.)

Have you noticed any change in the dreams themselves?

Offline Rainbow

• Lost in Wonderland
  • Evaluator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 04:36:16 AM »
Haven't noticed a change in the dreams at all. However... it does help greatly if I'm doing a WBTB after the sun has risen. It really enhances the ability to get to sleep quicky and a proper sleep at that.

I hope you have success with this.

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 02:56:11 PM »
Sounds like it's worth a try! Light definitely affects sleep cycles, so it could also affect dream recall.
In the secret space of dreams
Where I dreaming lay amazed
When the secrets all are told
And the petals all unfold
When there was no dream of mine
You dreamed of me.
-- from Attics of My Life, by Robert Hunter

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 06:04:29 PM »
Wonder if earplugs would also help. Has anyone tried that? Could block out distracting sounds.
You dreamed of me.

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 06:55:49 PM »
I use earplugs off and on, depending on the activity levels in the house, because I'm a light sleeper and an early riser in a house full of night owls and deep sleepers.

I actually seem to sleep deeper and have less recall with earplugs.
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 08:42:06 PM »
I think I'll try it anyway, just to see what happens. Maybe trying different things on different nights could have a positive effect, just as sleeping in a different location sometimes stimulates dreams and/or dream recall.
You dreamed of me.

Offline fisherj

• Synthesizer
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 09:56:07 PM »
I really like the sound of this idea! My room becomes quite light when the sun rises, so I think this could make a difference. My recall is shocking!  :gaah:
'We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.'