Author Topic: A New Badge System?  (Read 11745 times)

Offline The Littlest Leaf Dragon

• Alis Volat Propriis
  • Teacher's Guild
  • Evaluator
A New Badge System?
« on: June 02, 2011, 10:15:34 AM »
While discussing ways to improve the appeal and visibility of the monthly tasks, IndigoGhost presented an interesting idea that I think should be given a thread and some serious discussion.  Currently, we have somewhat of a badge system on our regular lucid challenges, with the letter codes, but nothing of the like for the monthly challenges.  His suggestion, as I understand it, was to have a badges section in the profile and actual image badges for completing the tasks.  This would  be somewhat like the meeting place badges, but there would be a different badge for each task, and the badges would be given permanently (also, they would be bigger than 16x16).  As an added bonus, perhaps there could be an option to link the badge per user to the dream they got it in.

The page listing all of the badges they have received would be a part of their profile, but perhaps there would also be a section in the mini-profile displaying the most recent badge they received.  This would serve to 1) be pretty cool and 2) bring a bit more of a spotlight to our lucid tasks and monthly features.

So, what does everyone think of the idea, and what do our techs think about how difficult it would be to implement?

Offline IndigoGhost

• ???????~StarMan*
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
  • ???~???????~???
Re: A New Badge System?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 10:32:41 AM »
I also had the idea that there could be a separate newsletter type just for the badge system / challenges. This would be something users can pick to subscribe instead of sending it to everyone, a mention of the two main monthly challenges could still be listed in the newsletter we already have. I also think if we had a challenges newsletter that we could have an auto-list of some sort added that shows who completed the challenges that month with click-ables to those users DJ post of that passed challenge. I feel this would make it more of a community thing as you would have an easy way to look at each others dream as it would be very cool to see how others dreamed that scenario compared to your own and it also adds a little fun competitive spirit ^^;

Its also a great way to keep track of how well your doing in your dreaming study.  :content:
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7981/indistarsygoooooooooooo.png
????+ Spirulina +????+?????+????+ Lion' s??+ Probiotic Acidophilus?

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 10:42:57 AM »
Where would these be displayed?  Would it be in posts or just in profiles?
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline IndigoGhost

• ???????~StarMan*
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
  • ???~???????~???
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »
Where would these be displayed?  Would it be in posts or just in profiles?

I had the idea that you could have a badges tab in your main profile everyone can see and click on with a collection of your badges, these could also be other reward badges also! It would be nice to have a hover over feature where if you hover over the badges it gives you info on what the badge is and then you can click on it and be sent to the post the badge was won with *the post with your dream on* and also in the top right hand corner of that post it would show a little mini badge to signify that is the badge post. It has many other things that could be added to improve accessibility and community all across the board. :)

Offline StarSeeker

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • I wish you the stars.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 01:19:51 PM »
I had come up with an idea for badges for other things - incentive to the participation in certain areas - but lacked the time, so far, to implement it. I was also waiting for changes in this system, one that, even with awards as they are now, allowing a way to see all the awards the member had gained in the past.
DJ:Oniric Archive
Awake Journal: Wild experiences on the StarS
-----------------

Sweet dreams old friends, sweet dreams.

Offline Serenity

• Teacher's Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 05:46:49 PM »
I love the idea of the permanency of it, and also being able to link the badge to the dream ;-D
What would you do if you were dreaming right now?

Offline iadr

• Evaluator
  • Peace Be With You!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 09:13:20 PM »
Currently, we have somewhat of a badge system on our regular lucid challenges, with the letter codes, but nothing of the like for the monthly challenges.  His suggestion, as I understand it, was to have a badges section in the profile and actual image badges for completing the tasks.  This would  be somewhat like the meeting place badges, but there would be a different badge for each task, and the badges would be given permanently (also, they would be bigger than 16x16).  As an added bonus, perhaps there could be an option to link the badge per user to the dream they got it in.

The page listing all of the badges they have received would be a part of their profile, but perhaps there would also be a section in the mini-profile displaying the most recent badge they received.  This would serve to 1) be pretty cool and 2) bring a bit more of a spotlight to our lucid tasks and monthly features.

So, what does everyone think of the idea, and what do our techs think about how difficult it would be to implement?
Sounds like a great idea Wolvendeer. Probably a lot of work to implement, but a great idea. Combining the current topic with another topic a bit, the regular lucid challengers would be a good place to get the monthly challenges from. That way if someone completed a monthly challenge they would also have completed one of the regular lucid challenges and have a badge to show for it.
Beg and Bas: HA GG TR LM CL SO LC RS FL LW TD
Int: EF BI JR DC WH CT CW IA WA TA WT JT RA WW WF RA MF WF BO TK
Advanced: TT AN OB CS BH ST
Sea:
All tasks completed. Going through a second time.

Offline mu

• Ishmael
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 10:20:08 PM »
A)  New database table for "badges," or whatever they are.  Columns contain badge type ID, links to dreams, and member IDs.  Another table for badge types, containing badge type IDs, links to images, and descriptions.

B)  Admin page for awarding badges.

C)  Modify profile code and template to look up member's badges and display them.

By far the most work is (B).

Now get to work, someone!  :whip:

• Alis Volat Propriis
  • Teacher's Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 08:15:47 AM »
Here you go. :)  All that needs to be done is add the capability to link to the dream.  Even without that, though, it seems to be exactly what we want.

Offline StarSeeker

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • I wish you the stars.
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »
But the awards should be visible in the the profile (in a post) for a limited amount of time.
Say, IG wins gets to the Month Meeting place. During the next month, he will have that cup we all know. After that, the cup disappears from his profile (the part we see when someone makes a post) and gets registered somewhere in his profile, behind a link:
Monthly Meeting Place April 2012
Monthly Meeting Place June 2011
etc.
DJ:Oniric Archive
Awake Journal: Wild experiences on the StarS
-----------------

Sweet dreams old friends, sweet dreams.

Offline IndigoGhost

• ???????~StarMan*
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
  • ???~???????~???
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 01:34:23 PM »
IG wins gets to the Month Meeting place.

I win? me so happi!  :content:

Offline mu

• Ishmael
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 11:09:14 PM »
Here you go. :)  All that needs to be done is add the capability to link to the dream.  Even without that, though, it seems to be exactly what we want.
That looks like a fine mod!  I'm trying it locally, and have managed to convince it to install.  There is one problem, however:

This mod is called "Member Awards."  We already have an award mod installed called "Simple Award System," and the two conflict.  For instance, they both want a database table called "awards."  Not to mention, it's a bit confusing to administer both of them; e.g. "Does this option apply to Member Awards or to Simple Award System?"  :huhwhat:

I am not involved in giving out awards, so I'm not sure what is done, but this mod seems to have everything the old one has and then some.  (See the list of features at wolve's link.)

The current award system is a bit "stuck," and I'd have to play around a bit to get it to uninstall.  So, before I do that:  should we replace the old award system?  I'd like to hear from those responsible for assigning awards.  It seems that things are done similarly in both mods where they overlap.

But the awards should be visible in the the profile (in a post) for a limited amount of time.
Say, IG wins gets to the Month Meeting place. During the next month, he will have that cup we all know. After that, the cup disappears from his profile (the part we see when someone makes a post) and gets registered somewhere in his profile, behind a link:
Monthly Meeting Place April 2012
Monthly Meeting Place June 2011
etc.
One of the features lets people choose their own "favorite awards" that they want to appear in their mini-profiles (besides posts.)  Since it's easy to create new awards, and categories of awards, and give all of these things names, it should be possible (and easy) to simulate that functionality.  For instance, instead of naming an award "Monthly Meeting Place," it could be "Monthly Meeting Place <name of place> <month and year>," and the person could choose for themselves whether they'd like to keep.."wearing" it, as it were.  What do you think of that?  :sherlock:

IG wins gets to the Month Meeting place.

I win? me so happi!  :content:
Congratulations!  :headbanger:

• Alis Volat Propriis
  • Teacher's Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 11:31:41 PM »
I am in favor of using that one instead of the old award mod we have.  I think it is a better mod all around.  Iadr makes the most use of the award mod, though, so we should get his opinion.

Offline mu

• Ishmael
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 11:44:39 PM »
Well, the old mod will now uninstall, so I've tried the new one..

There is no way to associate links with awards, and there doesn't seem to be a way to choose specifically which should appear in mini-profiles.  You can set a global limit on the number shown there.  I think "favorites" will have priority for being shown there--but there doesn't seem to be a way to make awards not be shown there if the person has any..

Offline iadr

• Evaluator
  • Peace Be With You!
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 02:01:24 AM »
I am in favor of using that one instead of the old award mod we have.  I think it is a better mod all around.  Iadr makes the most use of the award mod, though, so we should get his opinion.
Fine with us to go ahead with the new system.  :goodjob:
Beg and Bas: HA GG TR LM CL SO LC RS FL LW TD
Int: EF BI JR DC WH CT CW IA WA TA WT JT RA WW WF RA MF WF BO TK
Advanced: TT AN OB CS BH ST
Sea:
All tasks completed. Going through a second time.