Author Topic: Reality Checking - Totems?  (Read 8023 times)

Offline zachharmonic

• Comprehender
    • Check out my photograhy!
Reality Checking - Totems?
« on: August 12, 2011, 01:06:51 PM »
Have any of you taken a line from Inception and tried using an object to do RC's? My friend was telling me about him doing that last night and he was saying it worked out fairly well for him, he ended up getting lucid because of it. I'm going to start trying that today, anyone else have any experiences with this?

Offline zachharmonic

• Comprehender
Re: Reality Checking - Totems?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:53:55 PM »
Following up on this, I usually never remember to do RC's and today I must have done at least 20. So, this seems like it should work, for me at least  :D

Offline iadr

• Evaluator
  • Peace Be With You!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 08:22:43 PM »
Following up on this, I usually never remember to do RC's and today I must have done at least 20. So, this seems like it should work, for me at least  :D
Most people are probably like you zachharmonic and hardly ever remember to do reality checks. If the thing you are using for your object is something that you often dream about, then this will probably work very well.
Beg and Bas: HA GG TR LM CL SO LC RS FL LW TD
Int: EF BI JR DC WH CT CW IA WA TA WT JT RA WW WF RA MF WF BO TK
Advanced: TT AN OB CS BH ST
Sea:
All tasks completed. Going through a second time.

Offline zachharmonic

• Comprehender
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:20:20 PM »
I've never had a dream about it, I actually just found it today in a bag I meant to take to school. But I figure if I keep it on me at all times and spin it (It's a top) arbitrarily, with the connotation of it being a RC then I should dream about it eventually?

Offline Rebel Seven

• The Fool
  • Evaluator
  • "Falling Awake"
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 05:04:17 AM »
I have a necklace that I sort of use as a "Totem," not as a reality check but as a kind of power up in dreams.

In my daytime meditation I "imbue" the necklace with positive energy. When in the dream (after becoming lucid) I can rely on the necklace as an energy boost in the interest of Dream Control. This has worked wonders for me, in fact I haven't had to use it in quite a while because my control improved so readily with the use of it.

Hope this is helpful!
Sol rests her head on her great celestial pillow, and I rise from my sun-soaked slumber to claim the night.

Offline MeltingCORE

• Emily (The Reactor Girl)
  • Evaluator
  • Let's burst the gravity...
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 03:24:30 PM »
I don't have any tiny objects I can use as a "totem" but I do use my dresser [weird, i know] for a reality check sometimes. I dream about that dresser a lot and it's usually in a strange place. I guess that can count as a totem? I don't believe they ever said it had to be a tiny object but just a object.  :D

Random note: Speaking of "Inception", one of my lucid dream goals is to do the city bending thing. It's not going well though... XD

<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><

Offline Rin

• Comprehender
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 03:22:23 PM »
I've been quite curious about this subject as well. Using "totems" to help with you with reality checks in dreams. Just like the movie Inception. Has anyone had something like this that worked before? Did it work for you? I'm interested in this subject. Like using a spinning top in a dream to see if it will keep spinning or seeing if it will stop. This would be a good experience.

Offline Craigislucid

• Applier
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 08:36:36 PM »
Ive been keeping a stone in my pocket constantly. The hope is that in my dreams i can try to change its properties (color, size, etc) as a dream check, and maybe associate with a dream power or DC, to double its usefulness. So far, the best ive done is remember that IRL i keep a stone in my pocket and i feel its weight in my pocket during a lucid dream.

Offline IndigoGhost

• ???????~StarMan*
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
  • ???~???????~???
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 11:30:28 PM »
Have any of you taken a line from Inception and tried using an object to do RC's? My friend was telling me about him doing that last night and he was saying it worked out fairly well for him, he ended up getting lucid because of it. I'm going to start trying that today, anyone else have any experiences with this?

Inception ~ My Spirit Weeps, where is my mind?

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. ~  Confucius

Truth and value do not come from movies, they come from within.
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7981/indistarsygoooooooooooo.png
????+ Spirulina +????+?????+????+ Lion' s??+ Probiotic Acidophilus?

Offline Awake

• Creator's Guild
  • Comprehender
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 06:27:42 AM »
Truth and value do not come from movies, they come from within.

I'm not sure that applies here Indigo. His idea is taking an object and seeing if it changes to decide if he's dreaming or not. Just because it came from a movie doesn't mean it's bunk. On an ironic note, that quote of Confucius tells you that you shouldn't listen to anything Confucius says.

Code: [Select]
What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. ~  Confucius
Implying if you have to rely on Confucius for wisdom you're a small man, right from the man himself. :chuckle:

Offline IndigoGhost

• ???????~StarMan*
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
  • ???~???????~???
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 01:16:50 PM »
Implying if you have to rely on Confucius for wisdom you're a small man, right from the man himself. :chuckle:

I don't seek of Confucius, I simple quote him. I seek in myself, why else would i care? ^^;

I just don;t want OP to get stuck in a pattern of watching lucid dreaming movies and following them exactly, and besides i though it went without mention but the whole totem idea is just extra work for something that is very easy and if he obsesses on a totem he will actually loose the thing that is most important, self experience. If he just looked inside of himself then he could discover that you don't need a toy to focus on, you simply need to focus on yourself and you will never have a problem with lucid dreaming again because knowledge of the self "how you feel, think, act, do." will trigger a lucid dream instantly for the fact you are not yourself at that time.

Offline Rebel Seven

• The Fool
  • Evaluator
  • "Falling Awake"
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 05:02:10 PM »
the whole totem idea is just extra work for something that is very easy and if he obsesses on a totem he will actually loose the thing that is most important, self experience. If he just looked inside of himself then he could discover that you don't need a toy to focus on, you simply need to focus on yourself

Yes it is an inanimate object and yes, the inspiration might be from a movie. But you animate the object by giving it your energy and attention`and movies are just a way to tell a story, and we tell each other stories to expand our imaginations and beliefs, to share ideas and make you reflect on your own internal state, to question yourself and your surroundings and the world and sometimes even dreams. Truth and value can definitely come from movies.

The best part of using my totem is that it is NOT an external toy. The concept is that you are putting part of yourself into the totem, and can have something you can touch see and feel that is part of yourself If you do not identify with your totem on a core level, it is NOT a totem.

knowledge of the self "how you feel, think, act, do." will trigger a lucid dream instantly for the fact you are not yourself at that time.

And having something solid in your pocket to remind you to reflect on who you are is not difficult and can't hurt
Sol rests her head on her great celestial pillow, and I rise from my sun-soaked slumber to claim the night.

Offline mu

• Ishmael
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 03:43:42 AM »
Hehe, Confucius is being a jerk there.

Offline Awake

• Creator's Guild
  • Comprehender
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 09:16:27 PM »

I don't seek of Confucius, I simple quote him. I seek in myself, why else would i care? ^^

Hey, I wasn't having a personal jab at you, I was just saying how his quote was a little ironic as a comment on the side.  ;-D

Offline IndigoGhost

• ???????~StarMan*
  • Research Guild
  • Evaluator
  • ???~???????~???
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 05:22:22 AM »

I don't seek of Confucius, I simple quote him. I seek in myself, why else would i care? ^^

Hey, I wasn't having a personal jab at you, I was just saying how his quote was a little ironic as a comment on the side.  ;-D

I know that, was just saying because quoting is not seeking  :content: , if that was the case i would be this guy right now.