Author Topic: The Cost of Dreaming (A Short Story of Dreamworld)  (Read 529 times)

Offline JoannaB

• Comprehender
The Cost of Dreaming (A Short Story of Dreamworld)
« on: November 28, 2013, 12:07:15 AM »

- How much?

- $10,000

- That's way too much, man! For only 10TB of dream space?!

- It's premium dream space, bound to safely hold many nights worth of your dreams in full vivid quality. And it comes with no strings attached, no rules, so you can use it for any dreams you like, even if DreamCorp does not have any interest in them, you can still keep them. And this dream space is not only highest quality, but also untraceable, your privacy secured.

- How do I know it really is highest quality? I heard of a guy who bought himself some black market dream space, only to find it disintegrated within a few months.

- Well, you shouldn't trust everything you hear. Could've been an urban legend. Or could've been a nonlucid dream someone mistook for reality. Besides, I can vouch for this dream space: I stole it from the DreamCorp sleep lab myself!

- DreamCorp?! How do you know it is untraceable?

- Who do you think I am? A newbie?! I stole it in a lucid dream, and enhanced my super powers of detection to carefully screen it. It's perfectly safe. Besides, do you think DreamCorp wants their dreams to be traceable by anyone? Ha! Think again. Top secret dream space, baby! Soundproof, and everything. You want to use it for BDSM dreams or for new weapons design - it's perfect for that! Of course, someone like you will probably waste it on some common flying dreams, but that's your problem, not mine.

- So how much did you want for it again? Was it $5,000?

- For $5,000 my tulpas would starve from lack of attention, 'cause I'd need to rent myself out, forming somebody else's tulpas instead, to eke out a living. Tell you what, since I can tell how much you want it, and you seem like such a nice guy, I'll give it to you for 25% off, so $7,500. Plus taxes, of course.

- You pay taxed off stolen goods?!

- Of course! The government is willing to keep an eye open (not turned to dreamworld), as long as they get their share.

- Oh, very well then. Do you have a 30-days money back guarantee?

- Of course! I am an honest business man. Just call my name in any dream, as long as it is outside of this new dream space, of course - remember, I said, it's soundproof. Hahaha!

(A few minutes later, on his own with his newly acquired money.)

- Sucker! Not in the know enough to realize that DreamCorp can always trace their dream space when it is in use, and that he won't be allowed to reach REM sleep in jail, and thus calling me to complain, wouldn't work - even if I had been stupid enough to use my regular dream character identity for this transaction. Meanwhile, I got myself some untraceable money, and I've got dreams for how to spend it. Hahaha!

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
Re: The Cost of Dreaming (A Short Story of Dreamworld)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 08:15:59 AM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline JoannaB

• Comprehender
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 08:32:24 AM »
Thank you! I actually wrote this one yesterday, whereas the "in Memory of Owen" short story I posted earlier is from a while ago, earlier this year.

Offline bluebird

• Is this the real life?
  • Evaluator
  • Dream Initiated Lucid Dream
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 08:38:01 AM »
I'd be excited to see more stories in Dreamworld :)

Edit: oops, just saw there is another one "in Memory of Owen". Never mind, but still I would love to see more :D
Current Challenges:
-Garden of Eden
-Meditate in a LD
-more

Offline Rebel Seven

• The Fool
  • Evaluator
  • "Falling Awake"
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 01:47:34 AM »
I'm with blue! More please!
Sol rests her head on her great celestial pillow, and I rise from my sun-soaked slumber to claim the night.