Author Topic: Health, sleep, and dreams  (Read 973 times)

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
Health, sleep, and dreams
« on: December 29, 2014, 06:38:11 PM »
I had a fairly serious medical issue a little over two months ago. After some tests, the doctor said I needed to get more exercise, as well as cut back significantly on simple carbohydrates (candy, cookies, white bread, etc.), alcohol, and NSAIDS (such as ibuprofen). So I've been doing that. I feel way better now in many ways. One of the things I've noticed is that I sleep a lot better. I've rarely had much trouble sleeping, but over the past few years I've often had some trouble getting back to sleep after waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning. Now that I have a healthier lifestyle, I no longer have that problem. I think I'm dreaming more, too, though I've been bad about journalling.

In retrospect, I should have listened more to my body. I should have realized that my sleep issues were a clue that something was going wrong with my health. There were other clues, too, that I ignored. From now on I'm going to be more aware and proactive about health issues.

Just wanted to share that, in case anyone else might be ignoring subtle symptoms of medical conditions that might become serious if you don't do something about them.
In the secret space of dreams
Where I dreaming lay amazed
When the secrets all are told
And the petals all unfold
When there was no dream of mine
You dreamed of me.
-- from Attics of My Life, by Robert Hunter

Offline Shellidfl

• Doing "It" all night long... LDing, that is!
  • Evaluator
  • "Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try."
Re: Health, sleep, and dreams
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 11:01:49 PM »
Always good advice, johnb.  Never a bad idea to write about it.  Some people don't get the idea the first, second, third time...

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
Re: Health, sleep, and dreams
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 04:42:29 AM »
Some people don't get the idea the first, second, third time...

Yes. Has taken me a lot of times. Hope I have it this time. The benefits are worth the effort.
In the secret space of dreams
Where I dreaming lay amazed
When the secrets all are told
And the petals all unfold
When there was no dream of mine
You dreamed of me.
-- from Attics of My Life, by Robert Hunter