Author Topic: Luminous' dream recall technique (please test)  (Read 3868 times)

Offline Luminous

• Master of the Black Hole
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
Luminous' dream recall technique (please test)
« on: June 16, 2008, 07:45:10 AM »
For the last week or so, I've been working on a dream recall technique that I've had great success with from the first try. The extra nice thing about this technique is that it helps recalling dreams you have already had, so no preparations are required. Even though the technique works great for me, I don't know how well it works for others. I'll first explain the technique by describing how I do it:

I can do this technique any time of the day, though it's probably not a good idea to do when tired, or I'll just fall asleep. I lie down in a comfortable position, in a relative quiet place. It's ok if there is some noise around, as long as it doesn't break my concentration. I close my eyes and start counting my breaths, relaxing my body a little more with each breath. If I lose my count, I just start from 1. When I lose count often, I know I'm close to the state of consciousness that I want to reach. My goal is to reach hypnagogia, but to not fall asleep. Once I feel relaxed and detached from myself (My body tends to feel numb, though not like when close to or in SP), I start to focus on my task. In my mind, I ask myself: 'what did I dream last night?' If I remember a fragment, I bring it up in my memory. I focus on the visual memory that I have so far, if I have one. The dream scene appears as HI. I watch the scene unfold, as I focus on it, more and more of my dream memory comes back to me. Even little details that I had forgotten, return to me. Once I'm done with one dream, I keep going through my memory, bringing new dream memories back to life as HI, even dreams that I had completely forgotten after waking up. Once I'm done, I slowly let myself come out of it by wiggling my fingers and toes a little (I'm not paralysed, in case you wondered), then I stretch and open my eyes. Not only does this technique help me bring back dreams that I had forgotten, I also gain energy and feel refreshed after coming out of it. I also eases my anxiety.

Now, I don't know if this technique is as effective when it comes to remembering non lucid dreams. I also think this technique might be easiest for those who are decent at WILDs, because that is about recognising the hypnagogic state. This technique is similar to WILDing, you just don't need SP or actually falling asleep and entering a dream. With that, you can use any relaxation technique that you prefer to use, if counting breaths isn't doing it for you. I also believe this technique is similar to image streaming, something I don't know much of, but I have seen it mentioned on DV.

Please share thoughts, comments and experiences, and ask if you have any questions. :)

(Winner of the coveted Black Hole Award!)

Offline Mes Tarrant

• Haha. Hehe.
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
Re: Luminous' dream recall technique (please test)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 07:59:20 AM »
I like! I tried it just now but was roused by a hair dryer going off in the house. Bah. But anyway, I really like the counting breaths method. Seemed to work very well for me until that distraction.
"I'm disappointed with this universe... I expected some better music."
- a DC dad

Offline Luminous

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 08:01:48 AM »
Awesome! :D Please let me know if you try again. :)

Offline dallyup52

• Exhaler of Dream Dust
  • Evaluator
  • Follow your Heart
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 08:47:33 AM »
Luminous,

This is a great technique. 

You may find that you don't need to go all the way back to the HI state to remember some dreams.  I think that it depends on what state of consciousness your dream was in.  Once I get back to the state of consciousness the dream occurred then I seem to have a chance at getting the memory back.

I try not to "force" it and if I play back several scenarios one may stick.  The feelings seem to guide me.
Dream Journal
Challenges completed:
Basic: HA FL GG SO CL LM LC
Intermed: CO CP MO TK CW MF WF WA WW BI TP EF IA DC JA
Advance: TT TE

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
It sounds like you have mastered self-hypnosis, Lumi.

I'm going to try this.  My recall has been tiny bit better than abysmal lately.

Thank you!
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline Luminous

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 02:08:59 PM »
Thanks for your replies! :D

I might not need to go that deep when recalling dreams, but it sure makes it much easier, and faster. Plus, it's so pleasant. :D See, this is why I'd like input and tests, others might be able to use this technique on a lighter level.

I didn't know that was what I've been doing, pj.  :D But it makes sense. Especially after I saw my psychologist today, after being troubled with more anxiety than usual. She requested me to think of a place I like to be at, that is pleasant to me. She then told me to lean back and close my eyes, and visualise this place. (I chose my family mountain cabin) It only took me seconds because I felt the calmness of an altered state of consciousness, as well as her voice seemed more distant. I answered when I heard her ask me something, I noticed that my voice was low and slow. But, I didn't quite notice how deep my state had been until I opened my eyes. She hypnotised me! :P

Offline barbizzle

• Dream Lover
  • External Publications
  • Applier
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 02:54:31 PM »
This is similar to what I just do normally when I go to bed.  As I get in my bed each night, ill lay down and try to relax so I can sleep ( it takes me a while) and as I do this relation routine, my dreams from the night before suddenly pop into my head.  Sometimes these are dreams I forgot earlier that morning, or more pieces to a dream that I did recall.  I would say this method is very effective.

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 06:13:17 AM »
So far no luck for me on this one.  I woke with no recall and tried a slow counting induction just now in an effort to recover something. 

I'm not giving up though!

--pj

Offline Luminous

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 04:41:31 PM »
Don't give up! :)

The technique doesn't work too well for me if I'm too sleepy. I tried it today after work, and ended up so deep that my thoughts strayed, and they went random and incoherent. It did help some though, until I got too close to sleep.

Offline Mes Tarrant

• Haha. Hehe.
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 05:23:58 PM »
I would try this again today except I don't want to remember last night's dreams more clearly. :-/ Weren't all that pleasant!

We'll see what happens tonight. Huzzah for unicorns and bunnies and chocolate fountains... :P
"I'm disappointed with this universe... I expected some better music."
- a DC dad

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 08:14:38 PM »
I've tried it twice now - yesterday with some luck and today with none.  I'm not giving up yet!

--pj

Offline Alex Lou

• the scattered
  • Evaluator
  • Inaccurate Count
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 12:53:26 AM »
Hey, I do this!  Although accidentally . . .  But I definitely remember dreams in HI on a regular basis that I'd never remember otherwise.

Great job putting the pieces together and recognizing this as a technique that can be shared, Lumi.  Anyone who has a good chance of getting into HI consciously should definitely try this.