Author Topic: Leaving Her Hanging  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Desert Beacon

• Dream Chemist
  • Analyzer
Leaving Her Hanging
« on: January 18, 2013, 01:22:58 PM »
So last night I had a pretty simple dream and just want to see what you guys think about it.
I have some of my own theories but tell me what you think.

There was a thin river and beside it there was a tree that grew out over the river.
I was with my girlfriend and we were swinging on a vine from the branch back to the shore.
Well on the last attempt something had changed and I barely grabbed the tree trunk and awkwardly shimmied my way down.
I knew that my girlfriend would not be able to make it and watched on hopelessly as she dangled there.
She ended up falling into the water which was a lot deeper than it appeared. She emerged letting out gasps and I knew the water was cold.
I was going to jump in but something stopped me. She made it to shore and we quickly rushed her home.

I am just really wondering what my subconscious is telling me in this dream.

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
Re: Leaving Her Hanging
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 04:41:53 PM »
It is certainly an interesting dream with some powerful emotional content.  In these cases, I believe that the dream speaks loudest to the dreamer, and that other attempts to interpret are inherently flawed from not knowing all the life circumstances surrounding the dream.

Nonetheless, I would question whether you and your GF recently had a rough period - perhaps one that nearly separated you?  That's what this seems to be about. . . the two of you getting on fine, traversing together through what seemed to be an easy and safe enough existence.  Then something changed or became known that changed the understanding and perception of the situation, and the reality really took you by surprise.  But in the end, you pulled back together and sought shelter.

That's probably not even close, but it is my meager effort to interpret what you dreamed.
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline Desert Beacon

• Dream Chemist
  • Analyzer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 12:21:20 AM »
Thanks for taking a crack at it PJ  :P

It seems obvious right? Well the weird thing is we are doing better by the day
so I am not really sure what to make of this dream  ???

The best I have is I feel like I am getting her in over her head or something along the lines of that?

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 08:26:23 AM »
Perhaps it is your subconscious trying to make you aware of something it thinks you are overlooking.

--pj

Offline Desert Beacon

• Dream Chemist
  • Analyzer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 02:24:38 PM »
Any ideas on what it could be? Or is there not enough background info?

Offline howitzer

• jATION the ©REATION
  • Evaluator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 08:07:47 PM »
Perhaps as a result that you two are doing better each day you  feel the need to care for her in a bigger capacity. You could fear this level of commitment or obligation.

This is of coarse speculative. I could not agree with pj more.
I don't feel that a typical analysis of a dream exist. Each individual has his or her own experience and relationship with your subconscious and how you communicate with it, or visa versa.
Take note of some of your more less obvious dreams as well. Our subconscious speaks to us in obscure ways a lot.[color]
 :)
I'll see it when I believe it.

Offline Desert Beacon

• Dream Chemist
  • Analyzer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 01:04:37 AM »
I have been trying to look at my dreams and what they mean a lot more lately in order to learn about my subconscious.
It really is amazing that dreams are one of the only ones it can communicate with us.
Thanks for your input!  :D

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 11:19:12 AM »
I do believe that paying attention to our dreams is a good path to enhancing their ability to speak to us.

--pj

Offline greg lousy

• _--<<<::((*** & ***))::>>>--_
  • Evaluator
  • happy perpetual birthday
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 04:41:06 AM »
 I also agree with PJ and Howitzer, and I think these threads are useful only insofar as they help people discover the meaning of their dreams themselves.

So here's my two cents, take with many grains of salt.

my mind kind of goes two ways on this one

This dream seems to come arise from some sort of personal transition.  Whatever it is in life, in the dream its the transition from tree to shore.  You have some subconscious fear (founded or not) that the transition will be dangerous to your relationship, and to your girlfriend in particular. You already are conscious of the danger (the stream) but part of you feels that the danger may be greater than you know (the deepening of the water), and that the situation is different than what you think it is (everything changing in the end)

The whole scene plays out mostly to set up the most important moment, where she is in the water and something stops you from going in. 
I would focus on that "something" - was it closer to fear?  the feeling that she had to get there on her own? something else? In this line of thought I like Howitzer's idea, and would only add that going from a tree to shore could symbolize quite beautifully a relationship moving to a more committed level.

anyhow, I'm about two weeks and many dreams late
good luck, and if the meaning still eludes you, keep an eye out to see if the message is repeated!

........ and I cannot find my way back to the sea, but the saltiest sea knows its own way to me    -   Joanna Newsome

Offline Desert Beacon

• Dream Chemist
  • Analyzer
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »
Nice one greg. Those were both great theories and I am going to have to think about them to see where they fit in.
I will be on the lookout for more dreams like it... Lately this dreaming stuff has been getting pretty crazy!!!

I have just moved away to college, which may be the transition but it's a little late for the dream to crop up and
I am very open to the possibility that it is something else. Last night I had quite an interesting fragment.

Maybe it will help with this dream, maybe it won't. This one might be a little more straight forwad.
Tell me what you guys think:

I on a grassy hillside with a friend. We are talking about my other friend and waving to him at the bottom of the hill. I look off into the distance and see my girlfriend sitting there all alone. I get excited to see her and get up. I run over to her pretty fast and she smiles but as I get closer I get sad. I get to her and give her a hug but she seems miserable. I tell her I miss her and she responds with "no you don't" and I feel like she is telling the truth. I feel sick to my stomach and like I am about to cry and she just looks so destroyed. It feels like it would if for some reason it didn't work and we were just both holding on and it was terrible. This is not how it is IRL by any means. We get into a car with my family in the hand and are smiling, dream fades.

Offline greg lousy

• Evaluator
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 08:58:41 PM »
So did your relationship become a long distance one when you went to college, or is she there?
........ and I cannot find my way back to the sea, but the saltiest sea knows its own way to me    -   Joanna Newsome

Offline Desert Beacon

• Dream Chemist
  • Analyzer
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 12:48:18 AM »
Yes it became long distance. Very long distance. Two months in between visits usually.

Offline greg lousy

• Evaluator
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 05:01:22 AM »
well I'm still just a guy who basically doesn't know you but I'd be surprised if that wasn't the source of these dreams.

(also a long distance relationship veteran for what its worth)

to go too much further into depth would pretty much be guesswork on my part, but there have got to be many changing dynamics

For me it was intense.  More commitment, less contact, uncertainty, more risk really...    deeper water

Offline Desert Beacon

• Dream Chemist
  • Analyzer
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 02:59:28 AM »
Yeah, well you made some good points. Thanks for sharking.
A veteran, huh? Any advice/tips? I would like to think it gets easier but feel like that isn't the case.

Offline greg lousy

• Evaluator
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 05:22:30 AM »
openness, honesty - Take it seriously and communicate as it must be a very meaningful relationship to get to where it is.  cliches, I know, but I'm reluctant to say anything too specific.  I was still wrapping my mind around our experience and lessons years later.

actually I do have one specific thing to say.   I would consider using the old fashioned mail service from time to time if your not already. Letters, odd little things...
 There is something about sharing things that were physically handled by the other, helps with connection... and there's something about handwriting