Author Topic: Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR)  (Read 7745 times)

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR)
« on: December 17, 2014, 03:35:12 PM »
Saw this article on ASMR yesterday:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/11287099/The-videos-that-make-you-tingle.html

Despite anecdotal evidence of the effectiveness of ASMR, there has been little or no scientific research into why such videos should provoke such a physical response.

Have any of you heard of it or tried it? Seems similar to meditation. Or maybe hypnosis. Wonder if it might be useful as an LD induction method. Something you could do during WBTB to get your brain into a state more conducive to having LDs. Also, it might relax you and help you get back to sleep faster.
In the secret space of dreams
Where I dreaming lay amazed
When the secrets all are told
And the petals all unfold
When there was no dream of mine
You dreamed of me.
-- from Attics of My Life, by Robert Hunter

Offline Rebel Seven

• The Fool
  • Evaluator
  • "Falling Awake"
Re: Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 07:25:09 PM »
That is interesting! Also she states, among other things, that she used these videos to help with insomnia, but she doesn't explain further than that, I wonder how they helped?
Sol rests her head on her great celestial pillow, and I rise from my sun-soaked slumber to claim the night.

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 07:36:07 PM »
That is interesting! Also she states, among other things, that she used these videos to help with insomnia, but she doesn't explain further than that, I wonder how they helped?

Watching the videos is kind of relaxing. I can see how they could make you sleepy. But the best test would be to watch one next time you're having trouble getting to sleep.
You dreamed of me.

Offline iadr

• Evaluator
  • Peace Be With You!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 08:32:11 PM »
This thread reminded iadr of something he's been wanting to check out...videos of flying, and hovering over landscapes, etc, that by watching before going to bed, might influence a person's dreams so that they could have dreams of floating or hovering over landscapes.

So we just did a search, and found an incredible site called Vimeo that has such videos on it.

Below is one such video:
https://vimeo.com/104840203
Beg and Bas: HA GG TR LM CL SO LC RS FL LW TD
Int: EF BI JR DC WH CT CW IA WA TA WT JT RA WW WF RA MF WF BO TK
Advanced: TT AN OB CS BH ST
Sea:
All tasks completed. Going through a second time.

Offline Rebel Seven

• The Fool
  • Evaluator
  • "Falling Awake"
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »
Nice find! Thanks for posting.
Sol rests her head on her great celestial pillow, and I rise from my sun-soaked slumber to claim the night.

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 05:57:02 PM »
Below is one such video:
https://vimeo.com/104840203

Good one! Wonder if that was filmed using drones?
You dreamed of me.

Offline iadr

• Evaluator
  • Peace Be With You!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 07:59:08 PM »
Have been checking that site out a bit more, and have found that there are a ton of those kind of videos on it.  Just go up to the search spot and put in Flying Over, and see what all it returns. A lot of really great videos of flying over various landscapes.

As far as using this technique goes, we tried it last night, and it worked. We just watched the video for 3 or 4 minutes before going to bed, and then later after having gotten a few hours of sleep, just felt our self being being way up high looking down on the landscapes we had seen in the video...and we were suddenly there...way up high looking down on the landscapes. One of the easiest lucids we've ever entered.

We plan to develop a new technique using these videos that we will probably call VIDEOILD (Video induced Lucid Dream)
Beg and Bas: HA GG TR LM CL SO LC RS FL LW TD
Int: EF BI JR DC WH CT CW IA WA TA WT JT RA WW WF RA MF WF BO TK
Advanced: TT AN OB CS BH ST
Sea:
All tasks completed. Going through a second time.

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »
I've tried a few ASMR videos. They do seem to have a mood-altering effect. Some work better than others.

This one works pretty well for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Nve3S4pxc

It's in French. Not being able to understand more than a few isolated words seems to be helpful. Seems like I can better experience the pure sound of the words, rather than the meanings.
You dreamed of me.

Offline Vex

• Lord of the Rings
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • Ex Kitten
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 03:28:12 PM »
ASMR is very strange and creepy. Which of course means I had to try it.
I watched the videos and they didn't do anything for me. Maybe if I watch the videos again using headphones it'll have more of a impact.
The impossible is possible tonight. ~Smashing Pumpkins 
https://twitter.com/MortalMist/status/473630187901317120

Offline Boadicea

• Aspiring storm chaser!
  • Evaluator
  • Remember who the real enemy is
    • My blog: Mortal Drivel
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 02:22:36 AM »
ASMR is very strange and creepy. Which of course means I had to try it.
I watched the videos and they didn't do anything for me. Maybe if I watch the videos again using headphones it'll have more of a impact.

I agree, Vex. Those videos don't do anything for me. The only thing I got was random spots of itchiness because of my heightened senses, which were in anticipation of a reaction. In other words, all I got was what I created for myself psychologically. I definitely see how these videos could be relaxing, because of the sounds and such, but I also think that they could hold one's senses on edge and be the complete opposite of relaxation, which is what I got.
Headphones would probably make a world of difference, (when I can get new ones that actually work, lol), but I'm not expecting any tingles, as I have never had spine-tingles in reaction to any of the sounds illustrated, with the exception of someone whispering at my neck, which only creates the response because I didn't expect it, and the sudden feeling of breath on my skin.
Anyway, that's my two cents.
I'm still itching in random places. Dagnabbit! lol

EDIT: I actually found headphones that work, so I tried them and watched the videos. My reaction was simultaneous boredom and edginess. I feel like I have bugs crawling in random places all over and the sounds used put me on edge, especially the whispering, because I naturally strain my ears to hear it.
I wonder if it has anything to do with how well I hear. When I was a baby the hearing doctors said that I had the best hearing they had ever seen, and I've always been able to hear some things that other people can't, and while I was a baby, and extra sensitive, any loud or sharp sounds whatsoever would make me involuntarily jump. Perhaps my ears are over sensitive, so the ASMR doesn't work?
I'm probably over-analyzing this, but I'm done now. :P 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 02:36:15 AM by Boadicea »
I have a YouTube channel: TorandoChaser!

What is better-to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
-Paarthurnax

Offline Vex

• Lord of the Rings
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • Ex Kitten
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 04:27:07 AM »
Have a feeling that headphones will probably result in the same for me. I may still try it though just for the heck of it.
The tapping noises and the plastic sounds irritated me. It's because they remind me of sneaky mouse noises. I can be dead asleep and the slightest crinkling noise or tapping or clicking will make me pop wide awake. And I'll be angry because I was awakened. And if it's a mouse that woke me up I rampage through the house making all kinds of racket trying to scare it away. I must look like a maniac when I'm in mousehate mode.
I think if anything will give me the tingles it might be the book sounds. I love everything about books (except their prices sometimes). I'll use the headphones with the book video for sure and see what happens. Hey, might as well do it now since I'm practically wide awake at 3:30 am.

*scampers off to listen to book noises*

Offline Luminous

• Master of the Black Hole
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 04:53:11 PM »
I have ASMR, and I love it! :D I often listen to ASMR videos, and it helps me relax and get through stress. Not everyone experiences ASMR, and no one knows if you can learn to experience it. But the tingles... they are amazing. ASMR makes me feel very relaxed and euphoric.

(Winner of the coveted Black Hole Award!)

Offline johnb

• Evaluator
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 05:24:00 PM »
I have ASMR, and I love it! :D I often listen to ASMR videos, and it helps me relax and get through stress. Not everyone experiences ASMR, and no one knows if you can learn to experience it. But the tingles... they are amazing. ASMR makes me feel very relaxed and euphoric.

Seems to work for some people. Kind of works for me. Makes me feel relaxed, almost hypnotized. Might be the placebo effect, to some extent.
You dreamed of me.

Offline Vex

• Lord of the Rings
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
  • Ex Kitten
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 12:34:23 AM »

Very cool. I kinda hoped it would work for me. I think it might if I can find the right trigger. I haven't been able to try this with earphones yet cuz I lost them.
 :angry1:

Offline Oneironautical1

• Synthesizer
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 10:29:34 PM »
ASMR videos never really did it for me.  I don't know if its the same thing but I do get a similar "Braingasm" sort of thing.  It only happens to me when something awe inspiring happens.  Mostly supreme synchronicity with a song in a music video or when when a song hits a certain part I really like.  I can feel my scalp sort of tighten up as all the air on my head and down my neck stands on end.  Sometimes the electric feeling in my head can go all the way down my back and into my hands and feet.