Author Topic: Reality Check Moments  (Read 65017 times)

Offline Mark

• Ambassador Guild
  • Evaluator
Re: Reality Check Moments
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 04:04:16 PM »
yeah just had a real WTF moment walking across a zebra crossing some dick head chav came blasting down the road and nearly ran me over!! I actually had to jump back into the middle of the road!

I only remembered to RC about 5 mins later though  :oops:
"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes" Ghandi

"What a man can be, he must be: A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, to be ultimately at peace with himself". Maslow

Offline Oneironaught

• with a "gh"
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
  • twitterpated +10
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2008, 07:01:55 PM »
Two nights ago I was online and had the TV in my bedroom on. Suddenly, the cable box went dead and the green LED digit display segments went into a circular chasing sequence for about 30 seconds. It was rather weird indeed. I RC'd but, nope, it was real. Somehow the box had crashed and went into its reboot procedure. 10 Minutes later it came up and worked fine.

Then I searched for almost 20 minutes for this thread but could never find it. It's not where I'd expect it to be at all.
Life is wonderful

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2008, 07:17:09 PM »
Where do you expect it to be?

I've had two Reality Check moments today.

On my morning commute, I drive past a large food warehouse that supplies a lot of the west-side supermarkets, groceries and restaurants.  This morning I was driving right at sunrise, and it was a GLORIOUS orange affair.  The twin vertical stainless steel milk tanks sticking out of the food warehouse to my west looked like they had been decorated in vertical orange neon stripes, glowing brilliantly against the dark west sky.  I did a couple RCS as I drove past...

The second was coming home and holding in my hand a lovely gift that a gracious and thoughtful friend put a lot of time and effort into.  The thing is a small sculpture... boxes in boxes, all trapped in one another, with the smallest being almost impossibly tiny, all carved out of a single block of wood.  It is gorgeous, weighs almost nothing, and is absolutely surreal.  Multiple RCs there...

Then I had to RC one more time after reading the accompanying note which ends:

P.S.  You're Dreaming
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline Oneironaught

• with a "gh"
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
  • twitterpated +10
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2008, 10:37:02 PM »
Where do you expect it to be?

I forget in which order but, I scoured the following areas: Lucid Aids, Lucid Dreaming Techniques, Dream a Little Dream, General Lucidity Discussion and Experiences... Pretty much everywhere but here. I never said I had much sense :P I finally gave up and waited until it appeared in my new posts list.

Actually, I think I was looking for a different title so maybe I did check here but overlooked it (repeatedly).

Quote from: pj
Then I had to RC one more time after reading the accompanying note which ends:

P.S.  You're Dreaming

If only it were that easy in dreams.
Life is wonderful

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2008, 07:43:51 PM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline Oneironaught

• with a "gh"
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
  • twitterpated +10
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2008, 10:24:28 PM »
I have a friend, Joe, who moved to Missouri (from Florida) about 4 1/2 years ago. I've seen him about once since then (when he came to visit his daughter) but we talk on the phone about once a year. A few times twice. He's been my very best friend since 1991-92.

Anyway, I was at work today and looked up. What do I see standing there smiling at me? Joe! Just out of the blue, there he was. Now Joe has been a DC in many of my dreams but I never RC or consider it might be a dream. But today I RC'd several times while he was visiting. It turns out another of his daughters is getting married on Thursday.

The bad news: I wasn't dreaming.

The good news: It was really my best buddy in the world  :D

Every time I see that image I think of asher; It's so similar to his avatar. Come to think of it, pj is MM's asher so it only makes sense  :paranoid:
Life is wonderful

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2008, 05:55:23 AM »
Every time I see that image I think of asher; It's so similar to his avatar. Come to think of it, pj is MM's asher so it only makes sense  :paranoid:

Not only am I not playing that particular role, but we're looking at ways to make that role difficult or impossible to create here in the future.

Great news on Joe's visit and on his reason for visiting being a joyous one.  Enjoy your time together!

--pj

Offline Oneironaught

• with a "gh"
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
  • twitterpated +10
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2008, 02:24:15 PM »
Not only am I not playing that particular role, but we're looking at ways to make that role difficult or impossible to create here in the future.

I thought that would get you going. I was only joking though.
Life is wonderful

Offline Oneironaught

• with a "gh"
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
  • twitterpated +10
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2008, 12:01:31 PM »
I had another RC moment last night. I bought the movie "The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl" a few days ago. I bought it because I saw a preview a while back and most of it is in 3D.

Anyway, I finally watched it last night and what the movie is about completely caught me off guard. I didn't expect this at all: the movie is ABOUT LUCID DREAMING!!! And being in 3D made it that much cooler. In one of the earlier scenes, the main character, Max, takes his DREAM JOURNAL to school to read from for show and tell.

From there it became more and more about dreaming with every sentence. The word "dream" was spoken in the movie 1,500 times if it was spoken once. I RC'd a bunch of times.

I swear, if you ever get a chance to watch that movie do it. You won't be sorry.
Life is wonderful

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2008, 10:38:37 AM »
Huh - thanks for the recommendation!

--pj

Offline AspirationRealized

• Aspirant Oneironaut
  • Chat Moderator
  • Evaluator
  • The Cat's Pajamas
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2008, 11:43:55 AM »
After tossing and turning last night for hours past when I was trying to go to sleep, I looked up at my wall and there was a single spot of light. Because of the contrast with the rest of my room, it seemed to glow, this whatever it was.

I rose, thinking perhaps this was a false awakening with a hole in it, and there before me was the hole. I felt along the wall where the spot was, touching it, and found it was just light against a wall... nothing special. I did two reality checks, trying to put my finger through my palm and when that failed biting down on it and checking to see if it held up to my teeth and if it hurt as I bit down further. It did, I'm not dreaming.

Turns out it was just my blinds oepn slightly >.> I think this RC isn't as much a show of something odd happening in real life so much as wishful thinking on my part.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 04:16:51 PM by AspirationRealized »
Drow, drow, drow your canoe
 The stream provides flotation
 Hysterically, hysterically, hysterically, hysterically
 Existence is hallucination

...have you ever met anyone who actually changed?

Offline Oneironaught

• with a "gh"
  • Ambassador Guild
  • Synthesizer
  • twitterpated +10
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2008, 11:04:13 PM »
Yesterday was full of RC moments for me, especially at the supermarket.

I was standing in the Winn-Dixie supermarket at a buffet restaurant-style serve-yourself food bar. I suddenly wonder why the heck I'm serving myself chicken wings from a buffet bar in a grocery store and RC. Nope, there really was a chicken wing bar (with about 12 different types sold by the pound) that appeared since the last time I was there. I've never seen anything like it at a grocery store before.

Then I got in the checkout line to pay for my stuff and the cashier was very weird in an hard to describe way. Something about her was just not right. I RC'd some more. Nope, not a dream. Suddenly she looked intently at the cashier on the other side of me and told her "Come here; I've got a code 2", as if she's communicating in spy lingo. Nope, still not a dream. (The 'code 2' ended up being some sort of error on her register. And she, well, she was very just weird.)

Huh - thanks for the recommendation!

Now it is a kid's/family movie. So don't expect a blockbuster. But if you can enjoy a lighthearted, 3D movie and the cool aspects of dreams and LDing it really is worth checking out.
Life is wonderful

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2008, 07:25:14 AM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline Toast

• Analyzer
  • ..or am I a butterfly?
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2008, 02:59:42 PM »
Picked up NME at the train station, noticed the Raconteurs advert on the back cover. Logged onto facebook when I got home and the first advert I saw was for a Raconteurs' gig. I don't even know who the Raconteurs are by the way :?

Offline annsie

• Evaluator
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2008, 01:36:50 AM »

Please excuse me if I sound really dumb but what is the purpose of reality check ? I know we all have moments where we are unsure whether we are dreaming or not, and reality check can help tell us what it is. I just fail to understand the importance of doing this exercise. I have always considered this reality is like a dream itself, so what if the planes of different dream worlds cross over one another ?

Basic challenges: HA, FL, CL
Intermediate challenges: CW, DC, WW, TP
Advanced challenges: CS, MU, WL, OB, SI