Author Topic: TIME  (Read 6255 times)

Offline SmifoPL

• Sleeper by Nature
  • Applier
  • Does hard work and practice beat nature and talent
TIME
« on: October 25, 2012, 04:12:27 PM »
*I am fully aware there could be a discussion on this topic somewhere on MM but i noticed this forum is a bit more relaxed than most and people might understand, after reading this why I didn't spend time searching.*

For the past year or so i stopped writing in my dream journal, after that my dream vividness deteriorated and with it my recall and lucidity. for at least eight months i had close to no lucid dreams at all.
Untill about four months ago i had a really vivid lucid dream i remember it perfectly. But the point is not what happened in the dream but what i found out/discovered.
I'm sure all of you know the feeling when your happily Lucid dreaming but it seems like you wake up way too quickly than you intended to and even in the time that you slept you didn't get enough done.
That is where Time comes in. In that memorable lucid i had 4 months ago i wanted to improve my flying skills initially so i thought i would fly from London to Tibet. I must have been flying at the speed of light because in a couple of seconds i was in the Tibetan mountains (or so i thought, i haven't actually ever seen them in my life but i imagine that is what they look like).

After circling the highest peak i had a little trouble landing and almost lost lucidity but i held on somehow.
It seemed really boring to be honest so i thought, as this is MY Tibet i would change the scenery a bit. i blew up a mountain with a flick of my eyelid.. this is where the good stuff begins!

In the midst of the rubble i saw a silhouette floating towards me. He told me to stop wasting my time as i will be awake soon.
When he flew closer i saw he was an old man, maybe a monk, bold with a long white beard.
I asked him how does he know i'll soon wake up as he is just a funny DC
and he said the most peculiar thing "why are you so sure that i am a DC, i am a dreamer just like you"
when i heard that i became really uneasy and once again i almost lost my consciousness. i think i might have for a moment slipped out of lucidity but the monk said "remember this is your dream"
And i became lucid again. After some dream related topics were raised i asked the man why can't the TIME that im lucid feel realistic.
He told me that TIME is a funny thing even in real life, it's an abstract feeling, "that's why time flies when you're having fun" he said.
And i asked him how i can make TIME last longer while im lucid.
And he said to "meditate" which really pissed me off i told him not to anger me with the monk meditation shit but he was already gone, out of my anger i woke up.

LUCKILY i remembered the whole dream and since then i "set out" on a quest to expand the fabric of time in my dreams.
in the four months since my lucidity became much like if not better than before my year long dry spell and day in day out i was looking for ways to expand time in dreams.. Part of what the monk said was true "time flies when you're having fun"
When i became lucid in my dreams i would sit down and keep on counting to 10 then repeating to myself that i'm lucid and start all over .. they were really boring lucids for the first month because all they involved was counting. in around the second month i noticed i don't need to count to feel actual TIME flowing. so i started building paper airplanes in my dreams. i built about 30 in half an hour then in waking time i built 30 and it also took me about half an hour. so basically i reached a moment when actual time reflected dream time perfectly. But then the biggest question of all came to me.

What if i can extend dream time to last longer than actual time?
It is really hard to imagine but guys, imagine the possibilities if you want to do something productive while you're lucid for example writing lyrics for songs or something.. you wouldnt have to spend 2 hours of real life writing music when you could dream for 24 hours while being asleep for 8.
The possibilities are endless. Once, i came close, i think. to actually dreaming longer than i'm asleep but when i did my lucdity became weaker and weaker the longer i extended the time..

The point of this post is to ask every advanced Lucid Dreamer on MM : Have any of you contemplated this? i have become fixated on expanding time in my dreams it has become my life's work.. or at least for the past 4 months. If ANYONE has ANY pointers or clues on the mystery of TIME in dreams it would greatly help me.
Please and Thank You.

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
Re: TIME
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 04:36:45 PM »
(content removed by user request)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM by pj »

Offline SmifoPL

• Sleeper by Nature
  • Applier
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 05:39:07 PM »
Were you sure time spent in a dream is longer than actual time spent dreaming?

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 08:10:45 PM »

Offline pj

• Learning.
  • Technical Guild
  • Evaluator
  • We are made of such stuff as dreams are made of.
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 08:54:29 PM »
I have had dreams that have lasted days, as in the time I spent dreaming spanned a few days to a week.  I've never made it happen deliberately.  When lucid, the time always seems to flow at close to or the same as IWL.

I have meditated while lucid a couple times.  While it is an amazing experience, it has never resulted in time dilation.  Keep looking - it is one of those truly compelling possibilities!
What truly matters is not built of right and wrong; but of grace, and of love.

--pj

Offline Rebel Seven

• The Fool
  • Evaluator
  • "Falling Awake"
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 03:46:10 PM »
Same for me, I have experienced waking up after a 20min nap remembering 2 hours of dreams but this was totally unintentional (and also non-lucid).

The old man in your dream gave you amazing advice! I started meditating in my dreams a year or so ago and when I did it increased my dream time dramatically. It's fantastic that your DC gave you correct advice. That is DG material if I ever saw it.
Sol rests her head on her great celestial pillow, and I rise from my sun-soaked slumber to claim the night.

Offline greg lousy

• _--<<<::((*** & ***))::>>>--_
  • Evaluator
  • happy perpetual birthday
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 11:43:36 PM »
I'm curious - I've had dreams, lucid and non lucid, that take place over a few days, but it seemed like that was just part of the narrative of the dream, like how a movie may span years while lasting two hours. I didn't "feel" like I really was in the dream for days.

Has anyone really felt like they have actually spent days in dreamspace?
........ and I cannot find my way back to the sea, but the saltiest sea knows its own way to me    -   Joanna Newsome

Offline Jomid59

• Avant Garde Explorer
  • Analyzer
  • Wander Free Wander Far
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
"Stranger in a strange Land"

Offline bluebird

• Is this the real life?
  • Evaluator
  • Dream Initiated Lucid Dream
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »
Definitely had dreams that have appeared to last a lot longer than the time I have been asleep (not talking about calender days passing, I mean literally feeling every minute) but never anything super crazy.

You need to speak to Hukif, he has some good stories relating to this
Current Challenges:
-Garden of Eden
-Meditate in a LD
-more

Offline SmifoPL

• Sleeper by Nature
  • Applier
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 06:11:45 PM »
Thanks guys.. it is actually helpful to know im not searching for an impossible goal. Now i don't have to focus on actually doing anything "productive" or time measuring in dreams, the only thing is i need to be repeating to myself that i'm still lucid and it almost feels like time stops in that moment but it's a strange feeling as if i was physically making my brain tired, much harder to concentrate fully in dreams.. yesterday in a 2 hour dream. and i'm pretty sure i was lucid for 2 hours. at least it seamed that way.. or i kept on losing lucidity and then gaining it again. i focused on writing a story. never mind what i wrote because i'm not a skilled writer but there is progress.

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 09:44:18 PM »

Offline greg lousy

• Evaluator
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 12:04:03 AM »
    I'd love to hear more about it.

Its kind of an odd thing to consider, since time perception seems so different in dreams.
I had one lucid where I met a little girl who I came to accept as my daughter. We stayed up all night, then the next morning I kind of started a new life with the girl and this Sandra Bullock - looking woman.  At the end I was exhausted, but it felt like around 90 minutes - an impossibly busy 90 minutes, but 90 minutes, which was quite possibly the actual duration of the dream. But who knows, maybe that was just my waking perspective.  In any case, I've never woken up feeling like I had gone to bed days or weeks ago.
........ and I cannot find my way back to the sea, but the saltiest sea knows its own way to me    -   Joanna Newsome

Offline Sunshine

• Research Guild
  • Evaluator
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 06:39:23 AM »

Offline greg lousy

• Evaluator
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 02:59:01 AM »
Time perception is malleable in waking life and it sounds like it may be even more so in dreams.  I'm sure I've just scratched the surface in both places.

I'd still be interested in a DJ link to anyone's example/experience of this. 

missed that episode, MB, but I like your example and yes, thats what I was wondering about.  (though c'mon - totally overused ending - the ole "it was just a dream, but wait. why are my boots muddy?" shtick)

Of all the things we lucid dreamers manipulate in dreams, I think altering time perception is the most intense prospect.

Offline howitzer

• jATION the ©REATION
  • Evaluator
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 06:29:53 AM »
I have had many dreams ( non lucid) that have seemingly gone on for days. Even after a vivid recall of the dream I find myself searching for reasons to believe it was not longer. It almost seems impossible.
This naturally led me to try to manipulate dreams as I was lucid. I had no such luck. The restrictions of my consciousness beside me in my dream seemed to hinder my ability to stretch time. I always believe there're are avenues to achieve this desired result in a lucid dream. We just have to be diligent in finding that loophole in our mind that allows us to do so.
Time is certainly distorted in our natural dream sense. I think that is not disputed. I believe our mind will create an event spontaneously upon the inception of the mere thought of an idea. An entire past, present and future in place instantaneously.
Changing how we perceive events in the dream may help lead you to a way to transform time to your liking?
I'll see it when I believe it.